U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you describe the VA/NC relationship?
Peas and carrots 6 35.29%
White on rice 2 11.76%
Cornbread and pot liquor 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times

Advertisements

NC is going to have more in common with SC for the people in the Charlotte area but I wouldn't presume that it's the case for the rest of the state. The next 4 largest cities in NC are all within about an hour of the VA border and are nowhere near SC and I never hear anyone in the Triangle even talk about South Carolina culturally, etc. I suppose the same is true for those in the Triad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
NC is going to have more in common with SC for the people in the Charlotte area but I wouldn't presume that it's the case for the rest of the state. The next 4 largest cities in NC are all within about an hour of the VA border and are nowhere near SC and I never hear anyone in the Triangle even talk about South Carolina culturally, etc. I suppose the same is true for those in the Triad.
Fayetteville is closer to SC than VA, but no question about the Triangle and Triad. Like you said, those two metros are within an hour of the VA border and are pretty similar to metros you'd find in VA like Richmond. In fact, many Virginians in the Danville/Martinsville area right near the border work in the Triad in NC. It's pretty typical to hear people speak of Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head in the Triangle but that's about it, and they travel for vacation. You never hear about people going to Columbia, or say Greenville. The Triangle just isn't very close to SC, and most North Carolinian's vacation and travel within the state. I'm noticing license plates more and more as I travel the state, and I see MANY VA license plates in the Triangle, definitely more than SC. Same story with the Triad.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,484,126 times
Cornbread and pot liquor: it is a very old relationship between the two states, being that the coastal area of both states is where the english pioneers and privateers first arrived to colonize the usa.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,818 times
The beach I go to is in Virginia but it's extremely close to the North Carolina border and it looks exactly like the North Carolina Outer Banks.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
The beach I go to is in Virginia but it's extremely close to the North Carolina border and it looks exactly like the North Carolina Outer Banks.
Well, the Outer Banks are extremely close to the Hampton Roads region of Virginia. The site of the Lost Colony (Roanoke Island) isn't that far from Jamestown, also.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:06 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
NC is going to have more in common with SC for the people in the Charlotte area but I wouldn't presume that it's the case for the rest of the state.
Don't forget the Upstate/Asheville and Myrtle Beach/Wilmington connections.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Don't forget the Upstate/Asheville and Myrtle Beach/Wilmington connections.
Yes, I knew someone from Greenville, SC who always visited Asheville in her spare time since it wasn't too far away. Fayetteville is closer to SC than VA, also. Some people compare it to Florence in SC since it's not too far. However, no question about the connections between the Triangle/Triad and VA. Also, the Hampton Roads region spills down into northeastern North Carolina, Elizabeth City isn't too far and the Outer Banks like I mentioned above.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:35 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Yes, I knew someone from Greenville, SC who always visited Asheville in her spare time since it wasn't too far away. Fayetteville is closer to SC than VA, also. Some people compare it to Florence in SC since it's not too far. However, no question about the connections between the Triangle/Triad and VA. Also, the Hampton Roads region spills down into northeastern North Carolina, Elizabeth City isn't too far and the Outer Banks like I mentioned above.
Yeah, Fayetteville isn't too close to Florence also.

There just seems to be a lot more interchange between NC and SC because the populations are larger at those various junctures and traffic tends to flow more in both directions. People from the Upstate go to western NC for the mountains, while many of those people go to Greenville to shop or to check out downtown. Of course we know how popular the SC beaches are among NC'ers, and Charlotte's role is obvious.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 2,788 times
Same here Lol "how tight are virginia"

Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, Fayetteville isn't too close to Florence also.

There just seems to be a lot more interchange between NC and SC because the populations are larger at those various junctures and traffic tends to flow more in both directions. People from the Upstate go to western NC for the mountains, while many of those people go to Greenville to shop or to check out downtown. Of course we know how popular the SC beaches are among NC'ers, and Charlotte's role is obvious.
Oh yeah, NC'ers love going to SC for the beaches, but I think most NC'ers stay in the state when they vacation. I'm sure most SC'ers in the Upstate travel to Charlotte pretty often for a bigger city, closest major city to that area (Atlanta is probably a bit too far). Even though the Triangle isn't too far from the VA border and Richmond, it doesn't seem like 1-85 between Durham and Petersburg is that busy for the most part. However, I still see a ton of VA license plates around the Triangle, definitely more than SC license plates. It's also kind of weird because southern VA (the areas closest to the Triangle) is extremely rural! The stretch of I-85 between Durham and Petersburg is pretty remote, a lot more on the VA side. Who knows, maybe it's common for people in the Richmond or Hampton Roads areas to visit the Triangle, because a VA license plate is a pretty common site. Maybe it's people from areas that are a bit more remote, who knows. It's the same with the Triad, but I get that. Martinsville and Danville are two decent sized towns not far from the Triad at all, in fact they're closer to Charlotte than they are to Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.