U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you describe the VA/NC relationship?
Peas and carrots 6 35.29%
White on rice 2 11.76%
Cornbread and pot liquor 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM

28,268 posts, read 26,269,309 times

Advertisements

Are there any two states that can be more similar to each other (other than Maryland and New York with their vast wealth and upscale lifestyles for educated professionals)? How would you describe the relationship of these two states?

Peas and carrots?

White on rice?

Cornbread and pot liquor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM

9,554 posts, read 4,359,858 times
Mashed potatoes (North Carolina) and gravy (Virginia).

Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Mashed potatoes (North Carolina) and gravy (Virginia).
...probably more like biscuits and gravy.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 PM

781 posts, read 1,095,810 times
Besides the state line areas i don't see them being all that close, and what is pot liquor??lol

Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 AM

9,554 posts, read 4,359,858 times
There's alot of overlap with these states as to culture, climate, scenery, etc. N.C. is a little more southern while Virginia has the DC suburbs which are part of the northeast urban corridor. That's what I mean by Virginia being the gravy on the mashed potatoes (or biscuits). A northeastern urban area sitting atop a large southern, mostly rural area. N.C. and Va. together have just about every type of culure, climate, and topography anyone could want. From mountains to the outer banks, cities to farmland, something for everyone.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
They are quite similar in many respects, but I think NC has more ties to SC than VA.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,169,219 times
They so tight that you get their styles tangled

Old 09-07-2014, 06:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,274,333 times
I'd say they're quite similar, but Mutiny is right. There is more interaction between NC and SC than NC and VA. Charlotte, the largest city in the Carolina's, sits right on the border between NC and SC. SC cities like Fort Mill and Rock Hill are included in the Charlotte metro, and many South Carolinian's work in Charlotte. Also, SC is quite a popular tourist destination for North Carolinian's. You always hear about people going down to Myrtle Beach or Charleston in NC, it's not as common for people to go up into VA with the exception of traveling to Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, or Jamestown. But in the long run, I definitely think NC has more in common with VA. Both the Triangle and Triad are located roughly an hour south of the VA border, the SC border is much further from these metros. In both of these metros, you see A TON of VA license plates. I don't visit VA too often, but this might be the same story in Richmond or the Hampton Roads regions with NC license plates. The majority of NC's population lives relatively close to VA. NC and VA are the only states in the south without SEC teams, the ACC is BIG TIME in both of these states. The UNC/UVA football rivalry is known as the "Oldest Rivalry in the South" and both universities have similar histories. Tobacco was huge in both states, look at Durham and Winston-Salem in NC along with Richmond and Lynchburg in VA. Both states have always been seen as the more progressive/moderate southern states. Both states have three major metros, NOVA, Hampton Roads, and Richmond in VA and Charlotte, the Triangle, and Triad in NC. Raleigh and Richmond are about the same distance away from the NC/VA border, if not Raleigh being a bit closer. Not to mention both are Fall Line Capitals. You could definitely draw more similarities between the major metros of both states, I've traveled around the Richmond metro and some areas are practically identical to the Triangle in NC. So yeah, I could go on and on. Some might say NC is more similar to SC, or VA is more similar to MD, but I think NC and VA are definitely peas and carrots.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 09-07-2014 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 07:20 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,525,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Are there any two states that can be more similar to each other (other than Maryland and New York with their vast wealth and upscale lifestyles for educated professionals)? How would you describe the relationship of these two states?

Peas and carrots?

White on rice?

Cornbread and pot liquor?
NY doesn't have vast wealth, at least not outside the NY metro region. NYS is quite different from MD, I think. A better example would probably be NJ and MD, or metro NYC NY and MD.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:23 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,851,187 times
I had to read the title twice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.