U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,493,522 times
Reputation: 8024

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There's also a lot of people who have transplanted from Texas (and Florida) to Connecticut, by the way. I have neighbors with Texas license plates who just moved in. There's another guy at my gym who just moved here from Texas as well. And a nurse that I recently saw who moved up here from Texas. And a guy that I used to work with at a previous job, moved up here from Texas. The list goes on....


I would be willing to bet a years salary that much more people move to Texas than they do to any place in the North East. Southerners do not flock to the Northeast like northerners do to the South.

 
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I would be willing to bet a years salary that much more people move to Texas than they do to any place in the North East. Southerners do not flock to the Northeast like northerners do to the South.
No, but I'm just saying, mobility goes both ways. Obviously, it's a net gain for the South.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63463
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There's also a lot of people who have transplanted from Texas (and Florida) to Connecticut, by the way. I have neighbors with Texas license plates who just moved in. There's another guy at my gym who just moved here from Texas as well. And a nurse that I recently saw who moved up here from Texas. And a guy that I used to work with at a previous job, moved up here from Texas. The list goes on....
That's great and I hope they're happy. I'm sure they had their own personal reasons for moving and I hope they meet all their personal goals.

See how that works? See how easy it is to be open minded and pleasant? Is it really necessary to put down one part of the country in the same breath you praise another? Does it have to be either/or? If the Northeast is great, then the South has to suck? Honestly, that's not the way it is in real life.

I LOVE living in the South, and in Texas in particular. For me, it's the best place in the world to raise my family and build my life. But I would be ridiculously short sighted and, well, a little bit stupid if I thought that what works for ME is what's best for everyone else, or just because I prefer something means that objectively it's THE BEST for everyone. Though I greatly prefer living south of the Mason Dixon line, I think there are lots of cool things about other regions of this country. In fact, my husband and I are probably going to vacation in New England next year and I'm really looking forward to it!

Just because I don't choose to live there that doesn't mean I have some compulsion to somehow justify my choices by putting down where other people choose to live.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,752,754 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Is it really necessary to put down one part of the country in the same breath you praise another?
It is for many, many people in these forums. Sometimes it almost seems like that's a prerequisite for posting in C-D.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
It is for many, many people in these forums. Sometimes it almost seems like that's a prerequisite for posting in C-D.
Apparently so. It just seems so sophomoric to me.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,752,754 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Apparently so. It just seems so sophomoric to me.
Absolutely, it is. In my eyes, it's a tell-tale sign of insecurity and gratuitous arrogance. I mean, if one is TRULY content with where they live, and it truly is this amazing place that they make it out to be, then what's the point in taking cheap shots at other cities/states/regions? Just be happy that you live where you live, and leave it at that.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Absolutely, it is. In my eyes, it's a tell-tale sign of insecurity and gratuitous arrogance. I mean, if one is TRULY content with where they live, and it truly is this amazing place that they make it out to be, then what's the point in taking cheap shots at other cities/states/regions? Just be happy that you live where you live, and leave it at that.
Make no mistake...I am interested in moving out of CT. But not because I don't like it. It's just that after nearly 30 years, I simply want a change. You got a problem with that?!
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63463
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Make no mistake...I am interested in moving out of CT. But not because I don't like it. It's just that after nearly 30 years, I simply want a change. You got a problem with that?!
I'll chime in. I don't think anyone has a problem with you wanting to move from CT. So what? Who on this forum could possibly care one way or another about where you choose to live? But you're totally missing the point. No one's saying it's wrong for you to "simply want a change." That's not what anyone is remarking about. What we're saying is that it seems unnecessarily rude and condescending and, frankly, very closed minded for some people (you included) to go on and on negatively and incessantly about what you dislike so much about other regions and states.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'll chime in. I don't think anyone has a problem with you wanting to move from CT. So what? Who on this forum could possibly care one way or another about where you choose to live? But you're totally missing the point. No one's saying it's wrong for you to "simply want a change." That's not what anyone is remarking about. What we're saying is that it seems unnecessarily rude and condescending and, frankly, very closed minded for some people (you included) to go on and on negatively and incessantly about what you dislike so much about other regions and states.
Well, I have every right to express my perspective and opinion on these forums, just like anyone else does.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63463
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I have every right to express my perspective and opinion on these forums, just like anyone else does.
Of course you do. Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top