U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Austin, Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte come to mind when i hear New South
In that case how do Houston and Dallas not come to mind?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,994,819 times
The term "New South" was coined by famed Atlanta Constitution editor Henry W. Grady in his speech to NYC industrialists in 1886 -- yes! -- 1886! That was just 20 years after the end of the Civil War. Grady's enthusiasm and promotion for modern Atlanta is what set the stage for the massive influx of northern and international investment that continues to fuel the economy of the city and Georgia to this day.

Henry Grady and the "New South" - North Carolina Digital History

A MESSAGE FROM THE SOUTH. - Article - NYTimes.com

http://brfencing.org/h202lectures/We...s/NewSouth.pdf

Grady, "The New South"

H367 Web Document

Henry Grady Sells the "New South"

Old 08-20-2014, 09:48 PM

781 posts, read 1,096,717 times
They do come to mind but the cities i mentioned pop up first to me personally for some reason

Old 08-21-2014, 05:44 AM

775 posts, read 845,750 times
IMO the shift away from agricultural to manufacturing (let alone service economy) is what triggered the New South. That said, every southern state has areas that have both Old South and New South elements, with the former either agricultural or legacy cities that distinctivly have a tourist appeal to them (New Orleans, Richmond, Montgomery, Charleston, even Annapolis in some opinions), while some states not mentioned as "New South" includes such places that qualify. Alabama has Huntsville and Birmingham was one of the pioneering New South cities. Arkansas gave us Wal-Mart. Mississippi has the Gulf Coast with modern tourist development not unlike parts of Florida. Even Lexington have some New South aspects in them, particualrly their suburbs. Generally speaking, if you want the Old South, consider towns/small cities of under 50,000, rural areas, and some legacy tourist destinations. The infrastructure generally consists of development from the 1960s (when Civil Rights was passed and Air Conditioning became a utility as opposed to a luxury) onwards with small historic cores that make most of the city limits seem suburban to a Northerner. The New South continous the wax as it remains the US's fastest growing region. Its also viewed as more moderate politically compared to the traditional Old South.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 AM

6,458 posts, read 4,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Meet the new South. Same as the old South. - Pete Townshend
@ Mega Man - It's more like: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who

"We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 AM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
In that case how do Houston and Dallas not come to mind?
Texas isn't really considered part of the "South" in my opinion. It strives to maintain it's own separatist identity and geographically is more "Southwest", as it's west of the east/west divide if you look at a map.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 AM

15,100 posts, read 31,458,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
People from all over the country would seriously consider moving to a New South state. Most would never consider states without major cities/tourist attractions or professional sports teams.

New South:

Georgia
Louisiana
Tennessee
Texas
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia

Not New South:

Mississippi
Alabama
Arkansas
Kentucky
It's not that simple. There are areas of south GA and the FL panhandle that are certainly "Old South", yet there are areas like Huntsville, AL and northwest AR that could be considered "New South".

Old 08-21-2014, 06:27 AM

867 posts, read 1,090,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul G View Post
How would the guitarist from a British rock band know about the southern US?
Im sure coming of age in the 60s/70s and seeing Blackfolks getting hosed and dogs sicked on them, racial unrest and injustice, white flight, hippies, countercoultre, Emmet Till, Medgar Evers, Dr. King etc. probably made him aware...not to mention his main course of study/interest was music coming from Blacks in the South (just like most other Brit Rock bands).

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,835,043 times
New South aka Cleveland Suburbs

Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Texas isn't really considered part of the "South" in my opinion. It strives to maintain it's own separatist identity and geographically is more "Southwest", as it's west of the east/west divide if you look at a map.
Actually eastern Texas is in the eastern half of the country and is practically inseparable from Louisiana and Arkansas, so it is unquestionably the south.

Either way Diff mentioned Austin, so his post had nothing to do with not seeing Texas as the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or