U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The New South is basically any metropolitan area in the South which has a major influx of transplants, especially Yankees, and has endless suburban sprawl, heavy traffic, cheap tract housing and lack of culture and history. Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston come to mind.
Oh boy. Where to begin.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Oh boy. Where to begin.
If the person clearly doesn't know what they're talking about, I won't even waste my time debating with them. I'm learning that sometimes you just have to let people believe whatever they want.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Oh boy. Where to begin.
Don't even bother.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't even bother.
Oh, I won't. A simple "head-smack" emoticon says it all. Nep is obviously on a mission to take any available cheap-shot at the South he can throw in, and it's usually founded in a bunch of stereotypical, outdated, ignorant bull$hit. I've grown all too familiar with his particular brand of stereotyping. I seriously doubt he has ever even been to the South.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM

29,940 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
I thought you said you were done with this argument. Apparently you changed your mind.

Racism in the south was not an isolated incident, nor was it disconnected from racism in western society in GENERAL - and not only that, it was SUPPORTED by popular Western beliefs and ideas of the time (late 19th century in particular, since that's the time frame we are apparently still discussing). I believe in putting issues in perspective, we can flesh out the picture of what was going on historically and that is pertinent to the discussion in my opinion.

But since you don't agree, please feel free to quit discussing it. Please note, however, that just because you don't see the connection doesn't mean it's not there or that others can't or shouldn't discuss their opinion on it, including responding to your posts - and even quoting your posts.

One reason I believe it is pertinent is that the demise of slavery, as well as the lessening of racism and supremacist views in the south (the "New South" in fact) paralled changes in attitudes toward race, a move toward tolerance by Western societies (brought about in part by the abolitionist movement, the horrors of the American Civil War, and the genocides in Europe in the 20th century) across the American and European landscape. This makes the intolerance of "third world" countries and some regimes even more horrific from our Western perspective. We've come a long way - and the New South has come along with the rest of Western society. That's one attribute that MAKES it the New South.

"Insults are the arguments of those in the wrong." When you find yourself resorting to personal attacks rather than sticking with the topic at hand, that's usually an indication that you've run out of valid points.
Again, has nothing, nothing, nothing to do with the point I was making. Apparently, you're the type who's reflexively defensive whenever anyone mentions anything about racism among Whites in the South, past or present, regardless as to the context of the statement or the overarching theme of the discussion. So please find someone else to lecture because I'm not interested in the least; it's practically harassment at this point. Have a blessed night.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Again, has nothing, nothing, nothing to do with the point I was making. Apparently, you're the type who's reflexively defensive whenever anyone mentions anything about racism among Whites in the South, past or present, regardless as to the context of the statement or the overarching theme of the discussion. So please find someone else to lecture because I'm not interested in the least; it's practically harassment at this point. Have a blessed night.
This thread is public, and I have every right to respond within the terms of service to your public posts, whether you agree with my responses, or understand how they apply to your comments, or not. This is not in any way "harassment." Nor is it a lecture. It's a DISCUSSION on a public forum.

You do know that you can block me, right? Maybe you should do so if you don't want to read my comments.

Back to the topic of the New South. Racism IS an important topic to me when it comes to the history of our country generally, and the south specifically. You mentioned that most white southerners in the 19th century held white supremacist views. This opened up an important element in the progression of the south from the "Old South" to the "New South." But the South didn't embrace white supremacist ideology alone, nor did it establish slavery alone, nor did it evolve into a more progressive mindset alone. For that matter, people of color in the South didn't achieve their civil rights "alone" either. So it's interesting to me to track how these changes took place, and why, and who was involved - who supported such a paradigm shift and who opposed it is very pertinent to the discussion of the New South in my opinion.

Threads and topics evolve, grow, and expand. Maybe YOU didn't want to discuss the topic of white supremacy ideology in the South past your one comment - but I chose to give my opinion on it and expand on the topic.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 AM

10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
Quote:
Don't even bother.

Amen!!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Amen!!
And I will take my own advice as well!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM

29,940 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
This thread is public, and I have every right to respond within the terms of service to your public posts, whether you agree with my responses, or understand how they apply to your comments, or not. This is not in any way "harassment." Nor is it a lecture. It's a DISCUSSION on a public forum.
Typical troll response around these parts. Keep it up, you're almost there.

You want to "expand the discussion" (even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the point being made)? Fine; just stop doing it on the backs of my posts, trying to refute something I never even said. It's very disingenuous and uninformed to do so, and bordering on immature.

If, in response to my statement "Few White Southerners at that time didn't [espouse White supremacy in some form or fashion]," you had simply said, "Which was also true of other American Whites as well as Europeans," I would have agreed and we could have kept it moving. Instead, your attempts to chide and lecture people with your diatribes were completely unnecessary and uncalled for. Too bad you can't see that.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-27-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Typical troll response around these parts. Keep it up, you're almost there.

You want to "expand the discussion" (even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the point being made)? Fine; just stop doing it on the backs of my posts, trying to refute something I never even said. It's very disingenuous and uninformed to do so, and bordering on immature.

If, in response to my statement "Few White Southerners at that time didn't [espouse White supremacy in some form or fashion]," you had simply said, "Which was also true of other American Whites as well as Europeans," I would have agreed and we could have kept it moving. Instead, your attempts to chide and lecture people with your diatribes were completely unnecessary and uncalled for. Too bad you can't see that.
Wow. Pot, meet kettle.

I think it's well within the guidelines of this forum to expand the discussion on a particular point. If you don't agree with my point or perspective, sure, let's discuss it. No need to take it so personally or to resort to personal insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or