U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 02:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times

Advertisements

Makes sense. I suggest buying a speed bag and taking your personal issues out on that instead of a giant region of the country with millions of inhabitants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM

556 posts, read 631,199 times
I lived in Chicago and suburbs for 25+ years, exploring the midwest as a photographer on the weekends. Im not sure what midwestern region you are talking about, but OVERALL id give it a general score of meh.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:05 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
I lived in Chicago and suburbs for 25+ years, exploring the midwest as a photographer on the weekends. Im not sure what midwestern region you are talking about, but OVERALL id give it a general score of meh.
Where did you go, specifically?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM

573 posts, read 877,327 times
The upper midwest sucks with the exception of Minneapolis

Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Milwaukee/Chicago/Detroit/central iowa/Kansas city area/downstate illinois/northern wisconsin. I think just about the only place i didnt explore was the UP which ive heard is pretty, but nothing like what you would see in the top national parks in our beautiful country.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:49 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Sounds like you didnt get your butt out of the suburbs. Did you ever get up to WI? Devils Lake? Rib Mountain? Fish Creek, WI? Maybe the MI UP, places like Mackinac Island, Tahquahmenon Falls, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore? Then down the coast to places like Holland, MI, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Warren Dunes, Silver Lake Dunes? How about Traverse City? Then you could continue back to IL, ride up River Road, along the towering bluffs, ride it into picturesque Galena, nestled in the Driftless Zone. Continue up into WI, head towards LaCrosse, then west into Red Wing, MN. Continue north up to the Lutsen Mountains, then up to the Sawtooth Mountains, and Duluth, MN. You could always hit up the Loess Hills in IA, as well as the Garden of the Gods in IL, and Starved Rock/Matthiessen State Parks, too. There is also the gorgeous Ozarks, and if you consider the Dakota's the Midwest (as many do), you have Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Badlands, etc. Indiana has scenic Brown County and Indiana Dunes along Lake Michigan, and covered bridges nestled deep in the woods.

Thats just scratching the surface. Theres plenty of areas in the Midwest that are absolutely beautiful! Shame you didnt get to see them.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sounds like you didnt get your butt out of the suburbs. Did you ever get up to WI? Devils Lake? Rib Mountain? Fish Creek, WI? Maybe the MI UP, places like Mackinac Island, Tahquahmenon Falls, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore? Then down the coast to places like Holland, MI, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Warren Dunes, Silver Lake Dunes? How about Traverse City? Then you could continue back to IL, ride up River Road, along the towering bluffs, ride it into picturesque Galena, nestled in the Driftless Zone. Continue up into WI, head towards LaCrosse, then west into Red Wing, MN. Continue north up to the Lutsen Mountains, then up to the Sawtooth Mountains, and Duluth, MN. You could always hit up the Loess Hills in IA, as well as the Garden of the Gods in IL, and Starved Rock/Matthiessen State Parks, too. There is also the gorgeous Ozarks, and if you consider the Dakota's the Midwest (as many do), you have Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Badlands, etc. Indiana has scenic Brown County and Indiana Dunes along Lake Michigan, and covered bridges nestled deep in the woods.

Thats just scratching the surface. Theres plenty of areas in the Midwest that are absolutely beautiful! Shame you didnt get to see them.
Please read before posting. I am a nature/landscape photographer which required me to 'get off my butt'. As i said the places are nice, but nothing to write home about. My favorite spot in the midwest would probably be devils lake (minus the crowds). Southern Indiana is cool with its number of caves to explore. Ive only driven through MN, so i cant speak to that point. Id say Wisconsin is my favorite state out of the midwest, if I had to live there again.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:08 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Please read before posting. I am a nature/landscape photographer which required me to 'get off my butt'. As i said the places are nice, but nothing to write home about. My favorite spot in the midwest would probably be devils lake (minus the crowds)
How in the world could Devils Lake compare to Pictured Rocks or the Porcupine Mountains in MI? Dont get me wrong, Devils Lake is ok, but the big rock formations along Lake Superior, coupled with Caribbean-clear water, and waterfalls plummeting hundreds of feet from the bluffs into the lake at Pictured Rocks is far more breathtaking than Devils Lake. I dont think you got out too much if you rave about Devils Lake. Thats like living in AZ and bragging about Sqauw Peak in a state with the Grand Canyon, etc.

I know its your opinion about Devils Lake and all, but to me that just screams "I didnt explore much of hte Midwest."

Old 11-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
How in the world could Devils Lake compare to Pictured Rocks or the Porcupine Mountains in MI? Dont get me wrong, Devils Lake is ok, but the big rock formations along Lake Superior, coupled with Caribbean-clear water, and waterfalls plummeting hundreds of feet from the bluffs into the lake at Pictured Rocks is far more breathtaking than Devils Lake. I dont think you got out too much if you rave about Devils Lake. Thats like living in AZ and bragging about Sqauw Peak in a state with the Grand Canyon, etc.

I know its your opinion about Devils Lake and all, but to me that just screams "I didnt explore much of hte Midwest."
Im not raving about anything in the midwest actually. Devils lake is nice. NICE. Thats it. I lived there for most of my life...roadtrips, camping, festivals, museums. If there is a zion or bryce hidden somewhere in the 'backcountry', I didnt see it.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 PM

23,546 posts, read 17,535,380 times
One of my chief problems being in the Midwest is that it's often quite a hike from the large cities to areas that have average to above average outdoor recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or