U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 04:59 PM

556 posts, read 631,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
One of my chief problems being in the Midwest is that it's often quite a hike from the large cities to areas that have average to above average outdoor recreation.
This is what i meant to say. To really escape, you had to drive a long way. Im not talking about the local forest preserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:06 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
This is what i meant to say. To really escape, you had to drive a long way. Im not talking about the local forest preserve.
For me to get to a quality state park is nearly an hour and a half away. To see things more exotic in Michigan, Kentucky, or Garden of the Gods in Illinois is a half days drive. This gets old and rather expensive.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,492,098 times
That's one of the great things I liked about living in Michigan. In Grand Rapids your 30 mins from the lakeshore beaches and resorts. An hour or less to the Manistee national forest, and a 90 minutes -2 hrs from the north country.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 AM

813 posts, read 1,071,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Please read before posting. I am a nature/landscape photographer which required me to 'get off my butt'. As i said the places are nice, but nothing to write home about. My favorite spot in the midwest would probably be devils lake (minus the crowds). Southern Indiana is cool with its number of caves to explore. Ive only driven through MN, so i cant speak to that point. Id say Wisconsin is my favorite state out of the midwest, if I had to live there again.
If you ever do come back to the Midwest, check out some of the Midwestern plains states. You're right, it is a drive (almost better to fly really), but worth it for a landscape photographer. If you're feeling adventurous, check out the plains during storm season; there are some amazing cloud formations.

Flint Hills, Kansas

Black Hills, South Dakota

Teddy Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota

Chimney Rock, Nebraska

Old 11-08-2014, 12:24 PM

5,552 posts, read 6,980,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That's one of the great things I liked about living in Michigan. In Grand Rapids your 30 mins from the lakeshore beaches and resorts. An hour or less to the Manistee national forest, and a 90 minutes -2 hrs from the north country.
I am 4 miles from Lake Michigan.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,195,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
One of my chief problems being in the Midwest is that it's often quite a hike from the large cities to areas that have average to above average outdoor recreation.
You've never lived in the Twin Cities, then. We're surrounded by beautiful state parks and amazing hiking/biking/boating/kayaking/rock climbing; we even have that in the city limits of Minneapolis and St. Paul themselves.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:29 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I am 4 miles from Lake Michigan.
I walk a couple blocks there. There are public parks running the whole length south all the way through the suburbs.

I drive to the Driftless in under 2 hours, which is the most beautiful part of the Midwest (tie with Lake Superior shore maybe).

45 minutes to the morraines. 3 hours to the northwoods. I work (like normal people) and still have time to hit morraines or Lake Michigan parks after work during the week and Driftless/northwoods on weekends. Chicago is another hour and a half removed from all this, so I can see it being a long drive everywhere...and outside MN/WI/MI the nature isn't all that spectacular, so obviously Indy would be chore to drive for much scenery. Which makes me wonder why a "nature photographer" would be spending the majority of his time outside of those states outside of a single stopoff into Devil's Lake (the most visited park in Wisconsin, definitely not a secret).

There are plenty of National designations and "national park" level spots in these states that this "professional photographer" never hit, including:

Great River Road National Scenic Byway, WI:

Pocupine Mountains, Upper MI:

Minnesota's Arcadia-like north shore:

Sleeping Bear dunes, Lower MI:

Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, WI:

This is without including any other Driftless shots (it's the size of many Eastern states), Voyageurs National Park in MN, Pictured Rocks, the beautiful Keweenaw, Tahquamenon Falls, Copper Falls, Huron Mountains, Sawtooth Mountains, Split Rock, Door County, etc etc etc.

I would say that this "pro photographer" never did his due diligence - was there no internet then? Was this a really, really long time ago? There are plenty of great spots, but they are mostly in MN/WI/MI, far west Dakotas, and far southern IN/OH/IL.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:51 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,247,519 times
Default Why does the Midwest get so much hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
^ AKA, I've been to SE OH and flew into Chicago once and otherwise have zero knowledge of the Midwest, yet I'll rant anyhow because I'm a typical C-D dolt. Come back to us when you've been in more than 2 Midwestern cities, kid.

Great response there, Cheese Plate.
It's hard to take a hater type of post like that seriously, isn't it?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:02 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,247,519 times
Default Why does the Midwest get so much hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
He's whining and crying about job experiences he had living in the Midwest and being passed up in other posts, so yeah, surprise, not exactly an unbiased opinion or anything.
So you've noticed that too!
I mean, how many times can one person write, "The Midwest sucks" or "Iowa sucks!" or "Iowa City sucks!" on various threads before it's obvious that their hate is consuming them?
Seriously though.. That's what actually does "suck" if anything does.
So, as to the thread topic question, sometimes it can be a very personalized hate which on the Forum can be manifested in agenda-driven ragging on the Midwest, or any region or place to be frank.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 AM

3,599 posts, read 1,527,009 times
I have high regard for the Midwest. The only thing I don't like is how land-locked it is, but there are pros and cons with any area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or