U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,076,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I think that it is easy to be dismissive of Fly Over Country, because so much of it-despite having positive attributes-lacks glamour.
I could name you cities that lack glamour in every region of the US, and I will, if need be.You, are just provincial, and unable to see what the other regions are lacking, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 02:51 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,299,608 times
I sense that I was misunderstood.

Except for a couple years in Arizona (2nd and 3rd grade), I grew up in Iowa. Its not a coincidence that I defended Iowa City earlier in this thread.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:33 AM

23,643 posts, read 17,615,071 times
IMO, the upper Midwest is way underappreciated.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:22 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,252,336 times
Default Why does the Midwest get so much hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
lurtsman commented that Iowa City is "just a god forsaken waste of space"

In other words, lurtsman defines a nice college town as "just a god forsaken waste of space"

Some friends of mine from here in Atlanta visited Iowa City once. They were incredulous at how clean it was & among their comments was the line that, "...we could have eaten off of the streets in Iowa City!"

Old 04-18-2016, 12:50 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,198,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post

Some friends of mine from here in Atlanta visited Iowa City once. They were incredulous at how clean it was & among their comments was the line that, "...we could have eaten off of the streets in Iowa City!"
See, to me, that cleanliness is normal and how a city should look. Sometimes it's shocking to go elsewhere in the country and see how impoverished, run down, and unkempt so many other cities are.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,406,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
See, to me, that cleanliness is normal and how a city should look. Sometimes it's shocking to go elsewhere in the country and see how impoverished, run down, and unkempt so many other cities are.
A lot of Northeastern urban areas are not easy on the eyes, at least coming from New Jersey and the surrounding states. The amount of urban decay, pollution and residential density in many of the urban centers is a little bit depressing. Granted most of the nice areas in New Jersey are suburban, which there are plenty of.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:43 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,977,375 times
It lacks glamour. It isn't associated with culture like the northeast. It isn't associated with nice weather like areas in the Sun Belt. It isn't associated with natural beauty like intermountain west or PNW. The thing is that is has culture and natural beauty. Unlike a lot of the places in the Sun Belt it has summers that aren't overbearingly hot and or humid for most of the region.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:03 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,128,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, the upper Midwest is way underappreciated.
Agreed. All I hear is 'BUT IT'S SOOOOOOO COLD!!!!!!' Yeah. There's this thing called fire, and it produces heat. We've learned how to control that heat with an invention called a thermostat!

Honestly I'd be embarrassed if I admitted publically that I simply couldn't live somewhere because of the weather. That goes for cloudy (Seattle) hot (Phoenix) cold (Minneapolis) or humid (Miami). Grow a pair people!

/rant over

Edit to add: unless you actually can't live somewhere due to weather like for a specific job or medical condition...

Last edited by mr roboto; 04-18-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 11:13 AM

1,560 posts, read 722,378 times
Because the Rust Belt is dying.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:19 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,198,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Because the Rust Belt is dying.
The Rust Belt ≠ the Midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or