U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-03-2016, 02:16 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
Reputation: 2275

Advertisements

NOLA101, what would we travel to eat where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:30 PM
 
4,484 posts, read 2,666,302 times
Reputation: 4090
I assume TONS of people love to eat when they travel. Maybe that changes when you hit 30. Why else would travel books and articles fixate endlessly on local cuisines and restaurants?

Nobody has a definitive definition of the Midwest. Regions are subjective. (That's a classic bulletin board topic...the idea that there's an "official" version of every subjective topic, vs. various organizations and agencies dividing things their own way for convenience.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 10:39 PM
 
103 posts, read 130,032 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Um... no. Most of the Plains states that are part of the Midwest never had extensive forests. That was largely an East of the Mississippi thing that gradually declined into the prairielands to the west. Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc. were not deforested. This is just geographic (and historical) ignorance on display.


Now, the entire East and South were largely deforested for years, though. Have you ever noticed how landscape photos around the Civil War era seem really devoid of significant trees and forests? They didn't start growing back really until the 2nd half of the 20th century.
Hmm. I said 'the Midwest', but you're trying to exclude anything east of the Mississippi from that definition. If anything, the plains states are their own region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,314,520 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
To be fair, most people aren't asking about chain restaurants when they say "tell me about food." And if they are, they're definitely not asking about McDonalds or Little Caesars. Now, KC BBQ and Skyline chili, those are great examples of Midwest cuisine.
Sounds like you got even more information than you wanted, so what's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,314,520 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I assume TONS of people love to eat when they travel. Maybe that changes when you hit 30. Why else would travel books and articles fixate endlessly on local cuisines and restaurants?

Nobody has a definitive definition of the Midwest. Regions are subjective. (That's a classic bulletin board topic...the idea that there's an "official" version of every subjective topic, vs. various organizations and agencies dividing things their own way for convenience.)
Nobody has yet stated that Seattle isn't an interesting city because it doesn't have unique food offerings.....and then when you list a few, people ignore them or downplay their uniqueness.

Maybe people want us to just say that the Midwest sucks and that nobody should ever bother visiting it. Or that their region is superior and we all crave to move there someday. I have been to a lot of different places across the country and I know that a.) I don't feel like I am shorthanded by living in the Midwest, and b.) a lot of places are frankly overrated/overhyped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Is there a defined line of where the Midwest starts and ends? Some states are easy: IA, MN, WI, IL, OH, MI, IN

What about NE, KS, OK, AR, WV, PA?

That in itself could be another 1,000 post thread

more like another thousand threads that already exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
NOLA101, what would we travel to eat where you live?

duh...uh, Stuckey's and then, more Stuckey's and maybe some Popeye Chicken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,655 posts, read 4,600,098 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Nobody has yet stated that Seattle isn't an interesting city because it doesn't have unique food offerings.....and then when you list a few, people ignore them or downplay their uniqueness.

Maybe people want us to just say that the Midwest sucks and that nobody should ever bother visiting it. Or that their region is superior and we all crave to move there someday. I have been to a lot of different places across the country and I know that a.) I don't feel like I am shorthanded by living in the Midwest, and b.) a lot of places are frankly overrated/overhyped.
THANK YOU! One thing the Midwest truly lacks is "glits and glamor" and media exposure (heavily NYC and LA dominated) that show the world what we have to offer to suck people in. But people on the site love to act like the Midwest is just cut off from the world which is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 01:13 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
duh...uh, Stuckey's and then, more Stuckey's and maybe some Popeye Chicken
I can't rep you again, yet, or I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,725 posts, read 7,676,702 times
Reputation: 7631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Nobody has yet stated that Seattle isn't an interesting city because it doesn't have unique food offerings.....and then when you list a few, people ignore them or downplay their uniqueness.

Maybe people want us to just say that the Midwest sucks and that nobody should ever bother visiting it. Or that their region is superior and we all crave to move there someday. I have been to a lot of different places across the country and I know that a.) I don't feel like I am shorthanded by living in the Midwest, and b.) a lot of places are frankly overrated/overhyped.
Thank you for posting this. There certainly seems to be a set of ordained cities on these forums and when anyone strays from the strict orthodoxy, one is to be promptly denounced as a heretic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top