U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 05:05 PM

128 posts, read 168,243 times

Advertisements

I would not call it hate. I would call it a lack of respect.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 PM

300 posts, read 327,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, you just described Central IL, but not not anywhere north of IL. I suspect you were "in" each state's cities that you listed and nowhere else at any point besides the central IL countryside.
I drove from Central Illinois to Fargo and made a point to get off the highway to eat at local places. I also camped in Indiana for a weekend, along with going to the cities I listed.

If I was to be dropped in a midwestern state I don't think I could tell what one it was unless it had a lot of lakes or rolling hills. Yes, Ohio is a lot more like PA. Indiana seems to have more trees than you would expect. Illinois was flat. Iowa had the rolling hills and coming in from the Quad Cities and driving north past Waterloo to the MN border, I was about to fall asleep, the entire state reminded me of the movie Man of Steel(the farm scene anyway, actually any movie about evil scarecrows looks like it is Iowa to me). Minnesota had that classic prairie scenery and more rolling hills when you got off the highway(my mom's family is from the western part of the state), but the only thing I see attracting people is MSP, I mean why have a boat on a MN lake when you can at the Great Lakes or ocean, unless you're within a couple hour drive. I stayed around Fargo, went out into ND to some bedroom communities, but the entire place was just...boring.

When I asked people what they did for fun it was always swimming, running, regular sports, or Bags(cornhole whatever, I don't know about other East Coasters, but I played bags 2 times in my life, but 3 places in the midwest each over 300 miles from each other were all really into coming over for a drink and playing bags). None of those things are stuff that can only be done in the midwest, hiking was a possibility, but you had to be close to a nice park or something, where on the east coast I can go hiking within a 10 minute drive. There was no mention of snow sports like skiing or snowboarding, although snowmobiles seemed popular.

Overall I just felt like there was nothing specific to the midwest other than a ton of corn. That is the way most people from out of the midwest feel, whether you like it or not.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,069,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I drove from Central Illinois to Fargo and made a point to get off the highway to eat at local places. I also camped in Indiana for a weekend, along with going to the cities I listed.

If I was to be dropped in a midwestern state I don't think I could tell what one it was unless it had a lot of lakes or rolling hills. Yes, Ohio is a lot more like PA. Indiana seems to have more trees than you would expect. Illinois was flat. Iowa had the rolling hills and coming in from the Quad Cities and driving north past Waterloo to the MN border, I was about to fall asleep, the entire state reminded me of the movie Man of Steel(the farm scene anyway, actually any movie about evil scarecrows looks like it is Iowa to me). Minnesota had that classic prairie scenery and more rolling hills when you got off the highway(my mom's family is from the western part of the state), but the only thing I see attracting people is MSP, I mean why have a boat on a MN lake when you can at the Great Lakes or ocean, unless you're within a couple hour drive. I stayed around Fargo, went out into ND to some bedroom communities, but the entire place was just...boring.

When I asked people what they did for fun it was always swimming, running, regular sports, or Bags(cornhole whatever, I don't know about other East Coasters, but I played bags 2 times in my life, but 3 places in the midwest each over 300 miles from each other were all really into coming over for a drink and playing bags). None of those things are stuff that can only be done in the midwest, hiking was a possibility, but you had to be close to a nice park or something, where on the east coast I can go hiking within a 10 minute drive. There was no mention of snow sports like skiing or snowboarding, although snowmobiles seemed popular.

Overall I just felt like there was nothing specific to the midwest other than a ton of corn. That is the way most people from out of the midwest feel, whether you like it or not.

Well, I guess I don't really care, one way or the other. I've never played cornhole, or whatever you're talking about...don't even know what it is. Please stop painting with such a broad brush. By the way, we spend plenty of time on Lake Michigan here in WI...it's our entire eastern border.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 PM

300 posts, read 327,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Well, I guess I don't really care, one way or the other. I've never played cornhole, or whatever you're talking about...don't even know what it is. Please stop painting with such a broad brush. By the way, we spend plenty of time on Lake Michigan here in WI...it's our entire eastern border.
Here is the game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

Obviously you do care, as that is the entire point of this thread to which you are replying. I'm just saying the Midwest doesn't stand out to the rest of the US.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,761,283 times
This is how it always goes here, isn't it?

OP: Why don't people like the Midwest?

Midwesterners: They think it's a boring ultraconservative wasteland despite not having seen how scenic and exciting and progressive many parts of it are.
Midwesterners: *example after example of reasons it isn't a boring ultraconservative wasteland, including pictures, maps, links, etc*

Non-Midwesterners: Because it's boring and there's nothing to do there!! I fell asleep driving through Iowa once so based on my experience with those few acres surrounding that interstate I conclude that the Midwest is Boring and Not Scenic!

And inevitably someone: Regardless of what the OP wanted to discuss, what we should REALLY be talking about is the South/Seattle/the Northeast! The most underrated city in America is New York I really believe that!!!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 AM

24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
After growing up in the transition zone between the Midwest and Northeast (Western New York State - more Midwestern culturally than Northeastern) and then living in the real Northeast (Long Island), I will take the Midwest anyday! Normal people, down to earth values, educated but not pretentious people, friendly but not "fake friendly" like the South, affordable cost of living. I'll take the "boring" Midwest over the exhusting Northeast thank you!
Not all of the Northeast is the New York City metro. There are plenty of small cities, small towns and rural areas.

I don't hate the Midwest, but I've never spent any time there. In the states, I've always lived within a reasonable distance of a large body of salty water. I prefer the coastal areas.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:15 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
... I've never spent any time there. In the states, I've always lived within a reasonable distance of a large body of salty water. I prefer the coastal areas.
how do you know?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,069,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
Here is the game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

Obviously you do care, as that is the entire point of this thread to which you are replying. I'm just saying the Midwest doesn't stand out to the rest of the US.
Other areas don't really stand out to some of us, either. I've never spent time wishing I was living somewhere else. I love to travel, but home is Wisconsin.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM

596 posts, read 675,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
This is how it always goes here, isn't it?

OP: Why don't people like the Midwest?

Midwesterners: They think it's a boring ultraconservative wasteland despite not having seen how scenic and exciting and progressive many parts of it are.
Midwesterners: *example after example of reasons it isn't a boring ultraconservative wasteland, including pictures, maps, links, etc*

Non-Midwesterners: Because it's boring and there's nothing to do there!! I fell asleep driving through Iowa once so based on my experience with those few acres surrounding that interstate I conclude that the Midwest is Boring and Not Scenic!

And inevitably someone: Regardless of what the OP wanted to discuss, what we should REALLY be talking about is the South/Seattle/the Northeast! The most underrated city in America is New York I really believe that!!!
This game sounds much more fun than Cornhole.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:44 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I've never played cornhole, or whatever you're talking about...don't even know what it is.
Cornhole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or