U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM

652 posts, read 569,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I will never understand people making the argument that topography is in any way a significant factor in quality of life.
WOW! I couldn't disagree more, but to each their own.

Many of us find flat terrain painfully boring, even claustrophobic at times.
Similarly many folks can't stand not being near an ocean. Of course the upside of not caring about mountains or oceans, is that you'll get a much deal on real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 03:28 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
WOW! I couldn't disagree more, but to each their own.

Many of us find flat terrain painfully boring, even claustrophobic at times.
Similarly many folks can't stand not being near an ocean. Of course the upside of not caring about mountains or oceans, is that you'll get a much deal on real estate.
Just got back from Colorado yesterday, and was shocked at how flat the eastern part of the state was. I've been to the mountains before, but this was my first time in the eastern part of the state. Looked exactly like Kansas.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:51 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've been to the Great Lakes. They don't compare to the grandeur of Big Bend. By the way, are there any National Parks on the Great Lakes? The fact that Big Bend is a national park on the scope of Yosemite/Yellowstone/Grand Canyon means that it's something special.

Don't get me wrong, the Great Lakes are pretty, but Big Bend is majestic.
yes, not that Nat'l Parks are the end all for "grandeur"

Old 10-07-2016, 03:58 PM

652 posts, read 569,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Just got back from Colorado yesterday, and was shocked at how flat the eastern part of the state was. I've been to the mountains before, but this was my first time in the eastern part of the state. Looked exactly like Kansas.
Yes, maybe even worse than Kansas lol.
Eastern Wyoming and New Mexico are equally desolate.

Apparently no one told the mountains about our state lines.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:08 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
Quote:
But that was not the discussion. The discussion was that someone said that all of Texas was boring and flat compared to the Midwest. I was trying to show that it isn't.

Oh, and BWCA is just as far from civilization as Big Bend is...
There are two national parks in the Midwest....just FYI.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:45 PM

25,030 posts, read 23,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I would venture to say the opposite. Only boring people think drives can't be boring.

People who have seen exciting and/or majestic areas can certainly point out plain and/or boring areas.
I think I dozed off on I-40. Couldn't have been for long, because I was still on the road.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:59 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,530,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

Also, I will never understand people making the argument that topography is in any way a significant factor in quality of life.
This is something someone would say that lives in a less than desirable place.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:03 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Quote:
Challenge: Name one "natural" thing in the Midwest that stands up to Big Bend. We are talking natural scenery here.

By the way, I lived in California for a while and yes California blows Texas away in everything natural scenery wise I can admit. So don't think this is just Texas bravado. I try to tell it like it is.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Munising, MI.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:12 PM

990 posts, read 499,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Exactly the area I thought of first. To me this is more beautiful but more beautiful is an opinion and not a fact. I think Big Bend is beautiful but I prefer the more lush, dynamic, colorful beauty of pictured rocks. I could look at that all day and watch it change with the seasons.

There is far more natural beauty and interesting terrain in the Midwest than it is given credit for. Although I agree that 70 across Kansas is mind numbingly boring from a car.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:21 PM

10,789 posts, read 9,428,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is pretty but the scale of Big Bend is much larger. I spent a week in Big Bend and still couldn't hike/canoe/see it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or