U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 PM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times

Advertisements

I love the Midwest, I've been to all of the states listed in the official definition with the exceptions of North Dakota, Iowa, and Ohio. I plan on buying several retirement properties in the Midwest as I get old and rich.

I took a trip in August 2012 and visited everywhere between Milwaukee and New Buffalo, MI (including Chicago, Racine, Kenosha, Waukegan, Gary (yes), etc). Had a great time.

I've been to Kansas City, and thought it was a fantastic city.

Spent a weekend in rural SE Kansas this past July, and again, had a ball.

I am not a huge fan of much of Nebraska, even though I really like Kansas. Granted, I haven't visited any of NE's large cities yet, so I'll at least give them a chance when I do. I was underwhelmed by both Wichita and Rapid City, my initial impressions of each didn't give me a particular want to spend more time in either, but I'd give them both a chance if I were to go back to them.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times
I grew up in Iowa..When I was 20 I went to San Diego to stay with a college friend. The first thing his lil nephew said to me was "What kind of animals do you have on your farm?"...I had been to a farm exactly once growing up to buy pumpkins.

I don't think people hate the Midwest, they just write it off as bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 PM

19 posts, read 26,696 times
Default Wy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
The Dakotas are two of the most scenic states in the US.
Wyoming is just as good just outside the Black Hills

Old 08-23-2014, 05:25 PM

32,363 posts, read 59,787,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
For me, it was the generally featureless landscape.
I'm puzzled at how, in the 21st Century with the world at our fingertips, that this baseless myth continues to perpetuate.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm puzzled at how, in the 21st Century with the world at our fingertips, that this baseless myth continues to perpetuate.

Because it's mostly true. Picture someone driving I-80..After they leave Colorado they have Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, etc...That might be the most boring stretch of interstate in the country, and it's what most people base their opinion of the Midwest on.

A lot of people might find Neb. and Iowa beautiful...But not the Iowa you see doing 85mph on 80.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,442,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Because it's mostly true. Picture someone driving I-80..After they leave Colorado they have Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, etc...That might be the most boring stretch of interstate in the country, and it's what most people base their opinion of the Midwest on.

A lot of people might find Neb. and Iowa beautiful...But not the Iowa you see doing 85mph on 80.
I guess people don't understand that there's a reason I-80 runs through the flattest part of Nebraska and Iowa. Everyone knows it's a boring drive. To judge an entire state by what one sees from the interstate is just stupid.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,714,703 times
I found I-80 in Iowa really scenic actually, in a pastoral kind of way.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,485,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I grew up in Iowa..When I was 20 I went to San Diego to stay with a college friend. The first thing his lil nephew said to me was "What kind of animals do you have on your farm?"...I had been to a farm exactly once growing up to buy pumpkins.

I don't think people hate the Midwest, they just write it off as bland.
I think that's a malfunction of Californians in general. A couple of years ago I was in San Diego at a Chargers game with some friends who lived there. I was living in Michigan at the time. One person asked me "if I had ever been to a stadium that big". Another one wondered if we had Aeropostale locations in MI. Which to this day I never figured out what in someones thought process prompted that question. I can only assume they figured we might not be relevant enough to have mid to lower echelon clothing chains there. For both questions my response was the same caustic "No but we did just get indoor plumbing."

Old 08-23-2014, 09:08 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,442,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I actually agree. I find it to be a pleasant drive.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,446,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Yes, it is nice. Anyone who says it is "flat and boring" is not very observant. Especially the rolling hills in western Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or