Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 06:02 PM

638 posts, read 617,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I grew up in the KC area. It's just too boring, religious, conservative for me. And if you're not into "huntin' and fishin'", then there's really nothing to do outside the city. If you're into those things, it just might be your personal heaven. Not me!
There's plenty of things to do outdoors in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:07 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,898,285 times
Is Laramie, Wyoming representative of the Intermountain West...or Salt Lake City? Or, do we agree, that every region contradicts, and is not made up of only cities that fit a stereotype of the region? You can't have it both ways...

Another thought, is Bakersfield, CA representative of the West Coast? Or, Stockton, CA? Just saying.....

Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,061,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
What areas are representative of the Midwest? Most people on the coasts can't tell you the difference between Minnesota and Nebraska, save for the Vikings.
No area represents the Midwest because its too diverse. What does Ohio have in common with North Dakota?
Exactly. To lump the entire Midwest together as one enormous monoculture is ridiculous as it is meaningless.

That being said, if "people on the coasts" can't tell the difference between two very distinctly different states, then I think that says more about their ignorance of geography and their own country than anything else. I personally would be embarrassed to know next to nothing about other regions instead of proud.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:00 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,898,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Exactly. To lump the entire Midwest together as one enormous monoculture is ridiculous as it is meaningless.

That being said, if "people on the coasts" can't tell the difference between two very distinctly different states, then I think that says more about their ignorance of geography and their own country than anything else. I personally would be embarrassed to know next to nothing about other regions instead of proud.
I agree...attempts to come off as smug and more sophisticated, really show just the opposite. Well, smug is smug.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,134,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Kansas City is hardly representative of the Midwest as a whole. Much of Missouri is "Southern Lite" in culture (heavy Baptist church membership, southern accents, heavily conservative both politically and socially), especially compared to the Upper Midwest.
Ehhh, Missouri is not really representative of the Midwest, and some of it (as opposed to "much") is fairly southern, though Southern accents are a real rarity in Missouri.

But KC...well, KC is midwestern nee plus ultra. It's like what people imagine when they imagine the midwest, for better or worse.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,979,041 times
lurtsman commented that Iowa City is "just a god forsaken waste of space"

In other words, lurtsman defines a nice college town as "just a god forsaken waste of space"

Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,131,119 times
Other nice spots in the Midwest include:

Port Austin, 2 hrs and 15 minutes north of Detroit

Cuyahoga Valley National Park, 30 minutes south of Cleveland, OH

Hocking Hills State Park, an hour south of Columbus, OH

Interstate State Park in St Croix Falls, WI

Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,335,912 times
I wouldn't mind living in the Midwest. Bunch of great cities and an affordable COL.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:09 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,979,041 times
I think that it is easy to be dismissive of Fly Over Country, because so much of it-despite having positive attributes-lacks glamour.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,061,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I think that it is easy to be dismissive of Fly Over Country, because so much of it-despite having positive attributes-lacks glamour.
Please, do elaborate. This should be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.