Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Envy is at the root of most hatred
Except when it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
There are always exceptions... except when they're not.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times
I don't think it's hate so much as just being ignored. The media can't stop singing the praises of the Coasts' vast legacies and amenities, and the South's low CoL. Meanwhile, the Midwest is out here enjoying both at the same time.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 AM

417 posts, read 345,322 times
I like the Midwest's beauty hidden. I like being able to go to the beach and not having it crowded or hiking in the UP and not seeing another soul for miles. I like biking in the driftless region and getting some big hills. Even in Kansas I like getting BBQ and a big fat steak. I'd rather keep these things secert so we aren't bombarded by annoying tourists.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
A lot of people are ignorant and instead of taking the time to find beauty and exploring new places they take the lazy approach and base their entire perception off of a layover flight, movies or an interstate drive.

I don't think this is exclusive to the Midwest at all. I've heard many people bemoan how New Jersey is "the armpit of the United States" or how Phoenix is a "wasteland", neither of which are true in my opinion.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:26 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Never heard of Phoenix as a wasteland.

And midwest has it's charms but there are just some plain boring areas as well. I used to live in WI and it is nice there in spots.

Driving through OH and IN through Columbus and Indy leaves a lot to be desired. Granted this was all highway drive but flat and boring (contrast to WV and parts of PA). And I guess that's where the midwest gets it's reputation because the interstate drives are generally very stale.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:42 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Never heard of Phoenix as a wasteland.

And midwest has it's charms but there are just some plain boring areas as well. I used to live in WI and it is nice there in spots.

Driving through OH and IN through Columbus and Indy leaves a lot to be desired. Granted this was all highway drive but flat and boring (contrast to WV and parts of PA). And I guess that's where the midwest gets it's reputation because the interstate drives are generally very stale.
People on this forum often harp about how Phoenix is nothing but suburban wasteland/brown desert, lacks culture etc. which I emphatically disagree with.

I would certainly agree there is nothing terribly beautiful about the interstates in Columbus Ohio actually gets decently hilly in Cincinnati, the Appalachian region and the eastern portion of Cleveland's metro area.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
People on this forum often harp about how Phoenix is nothing but suburban wasteland/brown desert, lacks culture etc. which I emphatically disagree with.

I would certainly agree there is nothing terribly beautiful about the interstates in Columbus Ohio actually gets decently hilly in Cincinnati, the Appalachian region and the eastern portion of Cleveland's metro area.
Yes, drove towards the southern tip of IL and into KY and TN and it was hilly. Looking on a map the southern area of OH is also hilly but have never been there

Old 10-05-2016, 11:34 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I like the Midwest's beauty hidden. I like being able to go to the beach and not having it crowded or hiking in the UP and not seeing another soul for miles. I like biking in the driftless region and getting some big hills. Even in Kansas I like getting BBQ and a big fat steak. I'd rather keep these things secert so we aren't bombarded by annoying tourists.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
I lived in the Midwest (KC area) for 5 years. The people were friendly if not too parochial and there were some fun things to do in KC (professional sports being one), and the food was pretty good (KC BBQ is much sweeter than TX BBQ but still quite good).

However, there really wasn't much to do. Much of the land south of town was just prairies, and you had to drive quite a ways to go to the forests and lakes in the east. Once there, there wasn't much to do out there either.

Downtown KC was pretty much abandoned after 5PM and the greatest attraction was "The Plaza" which after you've walked through it a few times, including at Christmas when they lit it up, it got old. I hear things have gotten better since then, but you could tell that KC was an old industrial city that had seen better days.

I remember seeing old Jewish temples that had been converted in black Baptist churches downtown which I thought was a great reuse. But there were still vast sections that were derelict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.