U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,804 times

Advertisements

Sure parts of it are backwards, flat and boring but much of it is green, hilly and surprisingly progressive or at least moderate politically and well educated. I think Iowa is one of the most beautiful states in the country, it resembles the English countryside in my opinion.

Midwestern weather definitely isn't for everybody but personally I prefer a dose of each season over a climate that is hot in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:26 PM

867 posts, read 1,088,298 times
The Midwest doesn't get nearly as much "hate" as the South.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,443,423 times
I don't think the Midwest is "hated" per se, but it is certainly ignored. It doesn't have the mild winters that some Western and Southern states have, it doesn't have real mountains or beaches (sorry, but the Great Lakes don't count), and outside of Chicago, doesn't have any truly world-class cities (MSP, Indy, KC etc are nice but just not on the same level).

On the flipside, it's home to some of the most educated and down-to-earth folks you'd ever meet, even folks from small towns can be surprisingly worldly. It also has a fairly stable economy, the job market (outside of pockets in the Rust Belt) is about as good as one can hope for, and offers the best bang for your buck in the country.

It's not for everyone, but don't let the dogging get to you. In fact, you may find that a lot of the biggest detractors of the Midwest are Midwesterners, themselves.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,819,814 times
The US is a massive country with many large to medium-sized cities. Obviously, certain cities will be emphasized over others.

The West Coast has the appeal of having a moderate climate and a vibrant economy. The East Coast has history and more developed urban zones.

I think the general biased opinion is that besides Chicago for the obligatory "big city experience" that you can get elsewhere on the coasts, there's no reason to be in the Midwest.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The West Coast has the appeal of having a moderate climate and a vibrant economy. The East Coast has history and more developed urban zones.
Except for Oregon!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM

267 posts, read 239,144 times
I don't. Not everyone outside the midwest does, in all truth.

There are stereotypes from everyone, based on narrow perceptions of the region. I don't think it's just about the Midwest. And like most stereotypes, they're both widely prevalent and largely inaccurate. The problem is that they're true about a small, visible portion of the population, so the entire region gets misrepresented. People who use these generalizations have usually never traveled to that region.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,053,328 times
The Dakotas are two of the most scenic states in the US.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM

233 posts, read 281,347 times
All bias aside, I really think it is the least "hated" region. Rather a little more ignored as another poster mentioned.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:44 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,353,110 times
I think it is because it is in the middle and has connections to all three other regions. To the Northeast, we are hicks, for Southerners we are psuedo Yankees, and to the West we are the unscenic place where Grandma and Grandpa are from.

Nobody in the region is losing any sleep over the issue.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,763,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
The Midwest doesn't get nearly as much "hate" as the South.
This thread is about the Midwest, you can make your own thread if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador
it doesn't have real mountains or beaches (sorry, but the Great Lakes don't count)
Care to explain why?

I agree with you that "ignored" is probably better than "hated."
Then again, every so often I see people referring to like "backwards farm hicks in the Midwest" and just generally talking like it's desolate and as conservative as the Deep South. I imagine that's not an idea most people have but it is there I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or