U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:06 AM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
New Orleans. The city always had a unique culture and beautiful architecture, but the economy of the city was going downhill for decades and the crime rate was really high. Since Katrina the city has recovered very well. Crime is still high, but is decreasing, and the city is much more vibrant and business friendly, and there are a lots of transplants moving in to the city who appreciate its character but want to help fix many of its problems. There is a ton of renovation as well as new construction in the city.
You know, in a weird way, Katrina sort of helped New Orleans. I can't believe how different (in positive ways) Nawlins is now, compared to the early 2000s before Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 AM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well....you know...you might have something there

I've never heard anyone in Milwaukee refer to it as "a rust belt city." That's something people outside the area do.
Right - like people who call the South the "bible belt."

These sorts of generalizations are sort of stupid but I guess they're inevitable. Humans feel some sort of need to categorize I guess, and that invariably invokes stereotypes, many of which are negative.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Everytime I visit Pittsburgh I see progress being made... there is always something new.

Visit st. Louis, same old crap... nothing really new since the Edward Jones Dome (and that is really beginning to show its age)

Old 08-31-2014, 01:02 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,846,097 times
Great article about Cleveland's renaissance in the Wall Street Journal:

Just in Time for LeBron: Downtown Cleveland Stages a Comeback - WSJ

Old 08-31-2014, 01:33 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Here's an interesting blog post from Pete Saunders that details some of the transformation happening in "Rust Belt" cities. Of interest are the two graphs he put together:

His blog post was inspired by this article, and he was also surprised to learn that Detroit was doing a better job of attracting college-educated talent than he thought. He was under the impression that Detroit was lagging because there was no major university in the metropolitan area (the University of Michigan is not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Everytime I visit Pittsburgh I see progress being made... there is always something new.

Visit st. Louis, same old crap... nothing really new since the Edward Jones Dome (and that is really beginning to show its age)
St. Louis seems to have some nice areas to the west and southwest of downtown, no? It also seems to be doing a slightly better job of producing and attracting college-educated young adults than its total population of all college-educated adults would suggest.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,048,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Try harder DP... Whenever I go back there are tons of new things/changes. What are you talking about nothing new since the dome? When did you last go back???

Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,654,530 times
I'd like to point out that there are some of us who like our cities a little "rusty," hence the term "rust belt chic." So, the presence of "rust" isn't necessarily an indicator of continued decline.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,111,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'd like to point out that there are some of us who like our cities a little "rusty," hence the term "rust belt chic." So, the presence of "rust" isn't necessarily an indicator of continued decline.

I'd agree there's definitely been an urban 'rust belt chic' (I've never heard that term, but it works) thing going on that's making people want to set up shop in places like Detroit and Braddock, Pa.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,599,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Here's an interesting blog post from Pete Saunders that details some of the transformation happening in "Rust Belt" cities. Of interest are the two graphs he put together:

His blog post was inspired by this article, and he was also surprised to learn that Detroit was doing a better job of attracting college-educated talent than he thought. He was under the impression that Detroit was lagging because there was no major university in the metropolitan area (the University of Michigan is not).

St. Louis seems to have some nice areas to the west and southwest of downtown, no? It also seems to be doing a slightly better job of producing and attracting college-educated young adults than its total population of all college-educated adults would suggest.
Well Wayne State University (the 3rd largest university in Michigan) and Oakland University are both in Metro Detroit. UofM is literally one county away from Detroit, there are places in the Detroit MSA that are twice as far from downtown Detroit as Ann Arbor is. And then there are dozens of smaller colleges in the area as well.

Quote:
Many of the rust belt areas are better than South FL. South FL is loaded with crime, illegal aliens, severe traffic congestion and tons of *stupid* and FAKE people. And the wages don't even pay in scale with the cost of living at all. I'd rather live the area known as the rust belt.
Agreed . It isn't nearly as special as people try to make it out to be. And the income for whatever reason is pretty low.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Try harder DP... Whenever I go back there are tons of new things/changes. What are you talking about nothing new since the dome? When did you last go back???
About 1.5 years ago.

Nothing changes. That's a good thing some people. Not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or