U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:21 PM

152 posts, read 147,186 times

Advertisements

Yes, if you had gone north of Central Pkwy on Vine Street into Over The Rhine you would have been where a lot of the action is these days. You also missed fountain Square which is the heart of the city at 5th and vine. Cincinnati has a very compact downtown that is easy to get around, but you do have to know where the hot spots are. Next time, hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 03:38 PM

74 posts, read 117,070 times
I would not consider Cleveland in having a renaissance. Cleveland continues to shed people even though its downtown and a few inner city neighborhoods may have been fixed up and attracting a young professional demographic. The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that Cleveland's population dropped from 396,815 from 2010 to 390,113 in 2013, a decline of 1.7%. That is less than Detroit, but worse than, say, St. Louis, which I can make a better argument for a renaissance. St. Louis' population has decreased only 0.3% during the same period, from 319,294 to 318,416. Many people believe that St. Louis' population has already hit rock bottom and is poised for an increase, since the city has seen its downtown and a few neighborhoods revitalized and new housing units constructed in areas that were recently blighted. St. Louis still has plenty of blighted neighborhoods, urban prairie marking former neighborhoods, and high crime, with the news of racial strife in Ferguson not helping things. But still, St. Louis is a better candidate for a renaissance than Cleveland.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Okay, it may not be experiencing a TRUE renaissance, but downtown Duluth is a completely different place than it was 20 years ago...this coming from locals I've spoken with.
Personally, the downtown area, particularly by Canal Park, is very vibrant. More open businesses and restaurants than vacant ones. I was there just a few weeks ago on a beautiful 72 degree day and witnessed hundreds of people out walking around soaking up the sun next to the lake and bridge among other places.
A quick look at wikipedia shows me the population briefly went up for the 2000 census, but other than that has been stagnant to slightly declining since.

Yeah, it is cloudy for a lot of the time in PIT. They also get a decent amount of precipitation, some lake effect. Not nearly as much as Erie obviously.
COL is equal to Philly? This is news to me as I thought it was considerably cheaper. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would love to see some stats.
Attitude of residents is purely opinion. I've also encountered many nice people from Pittsburgh.
Not sure of the condition of the rivers either, but I thought they were improving.
Would also like to see job market stats.

Pittsburgh has become trendy. Our COL and rents have skyrocketed over the last 5 years. There is always a discussion about rent over in the Pittsburgh forum. There was even a thread started about the topic. I know many people will be relocating including myself. A good number are attracted to Cleveland.

Erie isn't as bad. In fact, when I go away for a weekend the temps are cooler but there is more sun. Plus there is far more to do in Erie. The city doesn't shut down in the winter like Pittsburgh.

The rivers are nasty. They are great to look at but people don't swim in them. Most drive to lakes at least an hour away or go farther up the Yough or Allegheny to where the water is cleaner.

Jobs. Yes, there are jobs but most are in retail or food service. UPMC hires a lot but most complain about how poorly they are treated and how cheap they are. The majority of college grads that have left the city have gone to the DC area. Like I said, Ohio is on everyone's radar so Columbus and Cleveland are other relocation destinations for jobs.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,285,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Yes, if you had gone north of Central Pkwy on Vine Street into Over The Rhine you would have been where a lot of the action is these days. You also missed fountain Square which is the heart of the city at 5th and vine. Cincinnati has a very compact downtown that is easy to get around, but you do have to know where the hot spots are. Next time, hopefully.
Side note: I was able to see the fountain square from a distance. Just didn't think to venture over a block. Next time, for sure.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,985,944 times
Baltimore

Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 AM

565 posts, read 563,412 times
Oakland, CA and Tacoma, WA

Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times
Manheim PA

Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM

640 posts, read 671,240 times
New Orleans is DEFINITENLY in a renaissance. There is construction and revitalization everywhere. For example:

1. Population is growing again CSA 1.4
2. Streetcar expansions and/or proposals throughout the city
3. LSU state of the art teaching hospital set to open in 2015
4. New housing construction everywhere especially downtown (condos, apartmentments etc.)
5. New airport to open in 2018
6. Road construction throughout the city to last 3-5 years
7. Hotbed for startups and tech support.
8. NOLA has become more receptive to business.
9. The Port of New Orleans which is one of the largest in America is doing better than ever.
10. Tourism/Hospitality doing better than ever its now a 6 billion dollar industry.

The list goes on and on. After 30 years of decline prior to Katrina all of things and many more are a breath of fresh air.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:43 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is cloudy for a lot of the time in PIT. They also get a decent amount of precipitation, some lake effect. Not nearly as much as Erie obviously.
Pittsburgh never has to worry about a dwindling water supply. It has three rivers and a large underground aquifer.

Quote:
COL is equal to Philly? This is news to me as I thought it was considerably cheaper. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would love to see some stats.
The cost of living in Pittsburgh is less than the cost of living in Philadelphia. If you make $50,000 per year in Pittsburgh, you'll need $64,046 to stay whole in Philadelphia, where groceries cost 18% more, housing 75% more, utilities 34% more, and transportation 1% more. Only health care costs more in Pittsburgh, and it only costs 1% more.

Quote:
Not sure of the condition of the rivers either, but I thought they were improving.
They are, or Pittsburgh never would have hosted the 2005 Bassmaster Classic. Furthermore, there's plenty of recreation on the rivers. Allegheny County has approximately 66,000 registered private watercraft, which is the second-most of any county in the United States (Miami-Dade County, FL). The Allegheny River is becoming a recreational destination, with marinas and boat ramps all along the river from downtown Pittsburgh to Fox Chapel, and also kayak rentals and rowing competitions.

Quote:
Would also like to see job market stats.
The Pittsburgh metropolitan area had a year-over-year increase of 12,400 jobs in July. It was one of the last major metropolitan areas in the United States to enter the recession several years ago, and one of the first to recover, essentially reaching full recovery by the end of 2012, though there was a lull in job growth during 2013. The good news is, job growth appears to be picking up again, though not as fast as it was during 2010 and 2011. It's probably settling into a happy medium around 10,000 new jobs year over year, +/- 2,000 jobs. From month to month, employment in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area has its maxima in June and November, and its minima in January and August. All-time peak employment occurred this past June, with 1,177,600 jobs.

Glad I could fill you in.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times
For a good year or more I've been seeing positive articles and blurbs about Pittsburgh, definitely making a comeback from the stories about rust and decay I used to read.

I've only spent a 3 day weekend there, but I liked it a lot. I could see myself living there no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or