Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Birmingham, AL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Knoxville TN. Been down so long it looks like up to me.

Previous boom was around the turn of the 20th century, then renewal started around the turn of the 21st. I'm talking about Downtown going from a ghost town to someplace quite lively.

The suburbs have continued on a steady state - some growth but not like the sunbelt boomtowns. So Renaissance??? Depends on what part of town you are looking at.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But L.A. seems to be becoming wildly too large and expensive.
I don't know what you mean by 'too large' as L.A. has essentially stop sprawling, and all its current growth is happening both with infill and vertical development.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,421 times
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Maybe New Orleans

Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,881,626 times
Quote:
I could understand Pittsburgh and Oakland to some extent.

But wait a minute. Did Seattle boom in the past, and then go downhill, and now it's going uphill? I was under the impression that Seattle was on an uphill incline for over a century.
Seattle became a boomtown around 1900, rapidly grew from that point on to about the 1960s, slowed down from that point through the 70s and 80s, and then started growing quickly again during the 90s due to the emergence of the tech industry. Today, it is experiencing super rapid growth again.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Yeah, in the 80's Seattle was pretty economically depressed as I recall. The first time I ever went there was in '82, and it was a VERY different kind of city back then than it is today. High unemployment, urban decay, dead downtown, suicide capitol, etc. It really wasn't until the tech boom that began in the early 90's that Seattle started to bounce back. That has only increased exponentially since then.

As far as more recent "Renaissance cities" go, my vote goes to Pittsburgh as the comeback kid. That town has really bounced back. I guess Cleveland is doing better than it was in the 70's and 80's, but nothing on Pittsburgh's level.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:14 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,881,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, in the 80's Seattle was pretty economically depressed as I recall. The first time I ever went there was in '82, and it was a VERY different kind of city back then than it is today. High unemployment, urban decay, dead downtown, suicide capitol, etc. It really wasn't until the tech boom that began in the early 90's that Seattle started to bounce back. That has only increased exponentially since then.

As far as more recent "Renaissance cities" go, my vote goes to Pittsburgh as the comeback kid. That town has really bounced back. I guess Cleveland is doing better than it was in the 70's and 80's, but nothing on Pittsburgh's level.
The lack of major employers and the drug wave that hit the entire country really hurt Seattle in the 80s. It must have been a very depressing, grimy, ugly place back then. Glad the city really bounced back from that version of the city!

Pittsburgh, perhaps Oakland, Philly. Any news with Cincinnati?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The lack of major employers and the drug wave that hit the entire country really hurt Seattle in the 80s. It must have been a very depressing, grimy, ugly place back then. Glad the city really bounced back from that version of the city!
It was still pretty back then, if just for the mountain backdrop, the waterfront, and the Space Needle... but yes. Nowhere I would have wanted to move to at that time. There was a general atmosphere of depression and boredom that permeated the whole city. Everything looked old and neglected. Hardly any new construction. People were losing their jobs and moving away. I was a teenager at the time, and I was amazed at just how little there was to do for young people. Lots of bored, frustrated kids who's only outlet was getting high or drunk. Not much of a music scene. Pretty much the opposite of what it's like today.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
Quote:
But L.A. seems to be becoming wildly too large and expensive.
LA/OC is not as expensive as everyone seems. Sure it cost more. If you don't get caught up in the "Keeping up with the Jones" trap, and downsize your expectations, you can have a very enjoyable lifestyle.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 PM

302 posts, read 368,609 times

Can you even walk down to the river and touch the water ?

Isn't it some kind of law against even being inside the perimeter of that river ?

btw why isn't the overflow of the LA river stored in tanks for future use ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Los Angeles most definitely.

The Los Angeles River
The L.A. river deserves its own category, because it has the most potential to redefine Los Angeles as a city than anything else going on within its borders right now. The revitalization of the river started as a grassroots movement, but now has grown to such a length that it has achieved a momentum that makes it almost unstoppable. Years from now, Los Angeles will be known for its river as much as it is now known for cars, palm trees and celebrities.
Feds Now Recommending Best and Biggest LA River Restoration - LA River Rising - Curbed LA
Huge Parks Plan Would Finally Give LA Its Emerald Necklace - The Greening of LA County - Curbed LA

Bottom line, Los Angeles is definitely experiencing a renaissance and transforming itself in a way few cities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.