Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 10,239 times

Advertisements

quote=RoaminRebel;36144047]Based on your description, you really are a West Coast person. None of the small towns mentioned will have the appropriate income base or culture for yoga studios.

Just as an aside, palm trees grow naturally only around Wilmington, and they are a rather sorry lot. Some cold hardy cultivars have been developed and can be spotted here and there around Raleigh, but they are quite rare. What isn't rare however is snakes. Copperheads and water moccasins are in NC.[/quote]
Wow - thanks for all this great info. Yes, I agree. I really am a West Coast person, but who can afford it?? Also all my peeps are east coast. The snakes are an issue. I have 2 mini-doxies that I am madly in love with. They hate the cold and snow too, but love the outdoors. But they are curious, and all the deadly snakes, spiders, gaters, etc scare me! But I know people all over the country have small dogs, so it must be manageable somehow. I am definitely more on the crunchy side! I also run a health and wellness coaching business online, and do seminars and workshops to supplement. This all requires health conscience, forward thinking, spiritual people (aka yogis, and artsy fartsy folk). I am wondering if the culture is just too closed minded in the Carolinas? That's something you cant really get a sense of when you visit. People are friendly to tourists becuase they bring money, but what are their views, really?? I loved the thought of Asheville, and all the natural beauty and recreation, but after some investigation, I've heard alot of negative reviews and crime / drugs are rampant there?? I'm also not sure I can live that far from the beach, but maybe with enough lakes / rivers....I don't think I can survive in the Piedmont area. Too far from the beach or mountains. As a coastal girl, proximity to water is essential!
Hhmmmm......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMoe View Post
Wow - thanks for all this great info. Yes, I agree. I really am a West Coast person, but who can afford it?? Also all my peeps are east coast. The snakes are an issue. I have 2 mini-doxies that I am madly in love with. They hate the cold and snow too, but love the outdoors. But they are curious, and all the deadly snakes, spiders, gaters, etc scare me! But I know people all over the country have small dogs, so it must be manageable somehow. I am definitely more on the crunchy side! I also run a health and wellness coaching business online, and do seminars and workshops to supplement. This all requires health conscience, forward thinking, spiritual people (aka yogis, and artsy fartsy folk). I am wondering if the culture is just too closed minded in the Carolinas? That's something you cant really get a sense of when you visit. People are friendly to tourists becuase they bring money, but what are their views, really?? I loved the thought of Asheville, and all the natural beauty and recreation, but after some investigation, I've heard alot of negative reviews and crime / drugs are rampant there?? I'm also not sure I can live that far from the beach, but maybe with enough lakes / rivers....I don't think I can survive in the Piedmont area. Too far from the beach or mountains. As a coastal girl, proximity to water is essential!
Hhmmmm......
You clearly need to make a trip down to the Carolinas to dispel the rather inaccurate information you're currently mired in. Deadly snakes while certainly around aren't part of everyday life and rarely an issue in most populated areas, spiders aren't an issue if one uses the proper repellents and prevention measures, alligators aren't in either North or South Carolina if I'm not mistaken and drugs/crime are not "rampant" in Asheville but it's nowhere near the coast. The piedmont would be closer to the beach and a city like Winston Salem or Durham would be ideal for you most likely, but would urge you to take a trip down and stop listening to someone "who knows someone who knew someone's Aunt who lived there once"...blahblahblah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.