U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
1,723 posts, read 1,141,193 times
Reputation: 1294

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Yosemite National Park
I love Yosemite too. But it was sad the last time i visited. The big fire had happened and it's been so, so dry.
The drought was very apparent and the Merced river was barely flowing.
We've gotten some rain and snow in California this winter so i look forward to returning in a couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,628 posts, read 3,976,577 times
Reputation: 6623
Great Sand Dunes....I took this picture my second time there just to capture how massive they are. Those specks on the sand are people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
1,723 posts, read 1,141,193 times
Reputation: 1294
^^^^^^
Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 09:44 AM
 
Location: The Springs
1,770 posts, read 2,142,222 times
Reputation: 1850
Yellowstone
Grand Teton
Rocky Mountain
Zion
Bryce
Grand Canyon
Yosemite (from what I remember)
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Great Sand Dunes (very unique)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,634 posts, read 2,787,987 times
Reputation: 2984
Glad to see so many people saying zion and bryce. Utah is underrated. Grand Teton and Glacier in Wyoming and Montana are my two other favorites I have been too. The San Juan Islands in Washington too.

NPS 100th anniversary this year being celebrated in Philly this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdW9...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
1,100 posts, read 1,075,580 times
Reputation: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Glad to see so many people saying zion and bryce. Utah is underrated. Grand Teton and Glacier in Wyoming and Montana are my two other favorites I have been too. The San Juan Islands in Washington too.
I agree with your choices, but while Utah as a whole may be underrated, the parks are definitely NOT under visited.

Until recently, we lived in Western CO and my dad lives in NV, so we visited all of them often. Moab gets a lot of traffic at Arches (and to a lesser extent, Canyonlands) and don't even get me started on Zion and Bryce. Zion has always been one of my favorite national parks, but the last few times we've visited, it's been lines of hundreds, if not thousands of people- just to board the tram. In all four seasons, SLC and especially Vegas traffic have overwhelmed the place.

I'd encourage people to check out Capitol Reef NP and many of the national monuments around the area. Lots of the same geography and geology, but a lot less theme park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
220 posts, read 148,193 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I agree with your choices, but while Utah as a whole may be underrated, the parks are definitely NOT under visited.

Until recently, we lived in Western CO and my dad lives in NV, so we visited all of them often. Moab gets a lot of traffic at Arches (and to a lesser extent, Canyonlands) and don't even get me started on Zion and Bryce. Zion has always been one of my favorite national parks, but the last few times we've visited, it's been lines of hundreds, if not thousands of people- just to board the tram. In all four seasons, SLC and especially Vegas traffic have overwhelmed the place.

I'd encourage people to check out Capitol Reef NP and many of the national monuments around the area. Lots of the same geography and geology, but a lot less theme park.
I can't believe how popular Zion and Bryce are (per your experience). The purpose of going to a national park is to get some peace and quiet while enjoying the beauty. Maybe I'll have to go during a shoulder season or even winter. Capitol Reef is on my radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
1,100 posts, read 1,075,580 times
Reputation: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
I can't believe how popular Zion and Bryce are (per your experience). The purpose of going to a national park is to get some peace and quiet while enjoying the beauty. Maybe I'll have to go during a shoulder season or even winter. Capitol Reef is on my radar.
Not to totally discourage you- the parks are amazing. But the road in and out of Capitol Reef is worth it alone, and there's still a lot of crazy landscape not too far from the more well-known parks where you won't find the big crowds. And CRNP, in my opinion, has a lot of features of the other four UT parks within its borders.

I'd also suggest some of the lesser known parks nearby. I love Dinosaur NP (UT, CO)- the CO side in particular is isolated and fantastically scenic-Harper's Corner Rd. and Echo Canyon are amazing-it should definitely be a national park. Also, Black Canyon of the Gunnison and especially Great Sand Dunes NP still have that old school western national park feel to them. Plenty of national monuments worth visiting nearby, as well.

Coincidentally, I saw that NPR had an extremely relevant article today about overcrowding of the parks-worth the read: Long Lines, Packed Campsites And Busy Trails: Our Crowded National Parks : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
220 posts, read 148,193 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Not to totally discourage you- the parks are amazing. But the road in and out of Capitol Reef is worth it alone, and there's still a lot of crazy landscape not too far from the more well-known parks where you won't find the big crowds. And CRNP, in my opinion, has a lot of features of the other four UT parks within its borders.

I'd also suggest some of the lesser known parks nearby. I love Dinosaur NP (UT, CO)- the CO side in particular is isolated and fantastically scenic-Harper's Corner Rd. and Echo Canyon are amazing-it should definitely be a national park. Also, Black Canyon of the Gunnison and especially Great Sand Dunes NP still have that old school western national park feel to them. Plenty of national monuments worth visiting nearby, as well.

Coincidentally, I saw that NPR had an extremely relevant article today about overcrowding of the parks-worth the read: Long Lines, Packed Campsites And Busy Trails: Our Crowded National Parks : NPR
Thanks so much for this great information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
273 posts, read 349,427 times
Reputation: 379
I've only been to a few National Parks.


My best experience thus far was the Delicate Arch trail at Arches National Park. It's taxing but not challenging, and VERY rewarding at the end.


Close second was experiencing the Superbloom in Death Valley National Park earlier this year.


I've also been to Rocky Mountain National Park and Grand Canyon - both of which were breathtaking and enjoyable in different ways. I intend on re-visiting both multiple times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top