U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,040,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogrimey View Post
Philly is not booming.
No, not booming in the "holy crap they're building highways and subdivisions faster than I ever thought possible" sense of the word. But really, who'd want that or any other form of rampant, untrammeled growth?

Philly's population has been steadily growing, and has the 3rd largest downtown population in the nation (people move there because there's lots to do - culturally, restaurants, etc.). The OP's desire was for a large city that's well-suited for young, single people. Downtown Philly (aka "Center City" and nearby 'hoods - Fishtown, Northern Liberties, Queen Village, to name a few - are ideal for this demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM

23,647 posts, read 17,615,071 times
Possibly Pittsburgh.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM

12,888 posts, read 4,657,792 times
Portland, Oregon is booming.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Meh. I love Ohio State, but Columbus is pretty much impossible to live in without a car, unless you want to be confined to High Street. The downtown is extremely depressing.

If you have family/friends there and a car and enjoy suburban living Columbus is probably nice though. It has a moderate climate (to my standards) and is located right in the middle of a lot of different places.
From what was given in the OP, it still fits. Those are other things the OP would have to consider.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM

87 posts, read 151,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Meh. I love Ohio State, but Columbus is pretty much impossible to live in without a car, unless you want to be confined to High Street. The downtown is extremely depressing.

If you have family/friends there and a car and enjoy suburban living Columbus is probably nice though. It has a moderate climate (to my standards) and is located right in the middle of a lot of different places.
Columbus is only allowed to be bashed or belittled on city-data. Just now realized that. No reason to continue posting or viewing this website.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,460,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus finest View Post
Columbus is only allowed to be bashed or belittled on city-data. Just now realized that. No reason to continue posting or viewing this website.
Aw, c'mon, don't be that way, letting them get to you. Look at it this way: I challenge you to find a single city or town anywhere on the forum that doesn't get a regular bashing from someone on at least a weekly if not on a daily basis. Even so-called paradises like Honolulu or Key West. I think Ohio is awesome.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:56 AM

32 posts, read 44,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Portland, Oregon is booming.
Portland kinda meh, I wouldnt say it's booming. The job market is pretty mediocre.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 AM

32 posts, read 44,913 times
DC is too expensive to be livable these days, thats why I mentioned Bmore.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogrimey View Post
DC is too expensive to be livable these days, thats why I mentioned Bmore.
Apparently not too expensive given it's the 5th fastest growing metro area right now, nor for the remaining 5 million plus living there.

D.C. region continues population growth;year-long increase fifth among metro areas - The Washington Post

Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 AM

45,027 posts, read 36,268,604 times
The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex has a population of over 6 million. It's unemployment rate is under 6 percent and below the national average. Tons of fun stuff to do in the area and the cost of living is reasonable.

http://www.bls.gov/ro6/fax/blssummar...fort_worth.pdf

Houston has over 2 million people and a low cost of living and an unemployment rate of 5.4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or