U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
How is Portland booming? There's really not much high rise construction going on in Portland at all. Compare that to the hundreds of buildings that are being built in cities like Miami, Houston, Austin, Seattle... Portland looks lethargic in comparison. Currently, Portland is building another bridge. Besides that, I don't think there's much going on.
There are other ways to grow besides up, and Portland does urban growth about as well as anyone in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There are other ways to grow besides up, and Portland does urban growth about as well as anyone in the country.
They used to. The current administration sells out their souls to crony developers and then gives lip service to the current residents of the city.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:31 AM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I like Philly but the crime is really high and the people are not that friendly to transplants but the city has amazing history. -RL
I don't know where people come up with stuff they post. Crime is high in neighborhoods with lots of poverty. No news there? Is that different that where you come from?

What caused me to post however, was the bolded comment. I have lived in 7 different states, so have experience with relocating to new cities where I knew no one. We transplanted here from Houston 3+ years ago and have found the city very open and welcoming. Were you a transplant to Philly? If so, how did that work out for you? Some details would help flesh out your comment. It's a jump from "people in Philly were not friendly to me when I moved there" to your generalization about all transplants above.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:30 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I don't know where people come up with stuff they post. Crime is high in neighborhoods with lots of poverty. No news there? Is that different that where you come from?

What caused me to post however, was the bolded comment. I have lived in 7 different states, so have experience with relocating to new cities where I knew no one. We transplanted here from Houston 3+ years ago and have found the city very open and welcoming. Were you a transplant to Philly? If so, how did that work out for you? Some details would help flesh out your comment. It's a jump from "people in Philly were not friendly to me when I moved there" to your generalization about all transplants above.
Yeah, ditto. I've found people in Philly a lot friendlier than where I came from (NC). As I've said many times before in C-D forums, people often confuse Philadelphians' open, usually unfiltered manner with rudeness, and that's just f***ing wrong We met more people within the first few days after moving in than we met in months in our NC subdivision. It's a function of density, of course (our Philly 'hood is much more packed in than in NC), but I have to believe it's something about the locals themselves.
So yes, if the poster's experience was based on Philly folk being actively negative toward him/her, that's one thing (and it's unfortunate), but don't generalize.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I like Philly but the crime is really high and the people are not that friendly to transplants but the city has amazing history. -RL

The people moving into the city are mostly just suburbanites and young people from the burbs moving in. Philly doesn't attract folks from other parts of the country. Very home town blue collar city once you step one inch outside the central core.

And yes, a worthless city govt bloated with do nothing workers. A worthless police chief that anywhere else would be fired, but not here. Crime is higher than a lot of other major metros.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The people moving into the city are mostly just suburbanites and young people from the burbs moving in. Philly doesn't attract folks from other parts of the country.
Once again a generalization. We moved here from Houston. We have three other friends who moved here from Houston after us and met yet another ex pat Houstonian at a friend's condo the other night. So, not everyone is moving to Houston, despite what we read on CD.

I seem to recognize you offering similar disparaging comments about Philly in other threads. It's fine with me that you are not one the city's biggest fans. Each city has its regular detractors on CD. I'm just posting to correct an error in your statements above. While Philly is not as transient as some other places I've lived, the bolded claim is obviously and simply untrue.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,816,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
And what kind of growth is that exactly? If you're not growing up, then you're either growing out or not growing at all. I'm talking about the 6+ story buildings that are dotting Seattle in the hundreds, bringing in thousands of apartment/condo units. Seattle is a forest of cranes right now.

Having traveled around the Portland area myself a few months ago (I have family who own multiple properties near downtown), it is quite suburban outside of downtown, and downtown itself is not that large or tall. I also didn't notice that much building construction going on.

But I could be unaware of some massive apartment/office project if someone cares to share that information?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Once again a generalization. We moved here from Houston. We have three other friends who moved here from Houston after us and met yet another ex pat Houstonian at a friend's condo the other night. So, not everyone is moving to Houston, despite what we read on CD.

I seem to recognize you offering similar disparaging comments about Philly in other threads. It's fine with me that you are not one the city's biggest fans. Each city has its regular detractors on CD. I'm just posting to correct an error in your statements above. While Philly is not as transient as some other places I've lived, the bolded claim is obviously and simply untrue.

You haven't lived here nearly as long as I have to know every in an out of this city. Sorry just a fact.
Wait a while and you will see.

Have you had the enjoyment of walking into the path of a group of thug teenagers yet that prowl around Center City at night? I have. Just wait for that joy to befall you.

There are just too many poor, poverty stricken people in Philly, with jobs that long ago left, yet that population still hangs around. When they leave, the city will improve.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You haven't lived here nearly as long as I have to know every in an out of this city. Sorry just a fact.
Wait a while and you will see.

Have you had the enjoyment of walking into the path of a group of thug teenagers yet that prowl around Center City at night? I have. Just wait for that joy to befall you.

There are just too many poor, poverty stricken people in Philly, with jobs that long ago left, yet that population still hangs around. When they leave, the city will improve.
Wow, how to reply to this? Here are my notes:

Approach 1: just say "haters gotta hate"

Approach 2: agree with him and say once we get rid of those icky poor people things will indeed get better (make note to get some nifty quote about compassion, but don't use words with too many syllables.)

Approach 3: focus on the second paragraph - ask do you really expect any city's teenagers to be friendly, welcoming, accepting of transplants, etc.?

Approach 4: roll eyes, take high road and say nothing at all

Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
And what kind of growth is that exactly? If you're not growing up, then you're either growing out or not growing at all. I'm talking about the 6+ story buildings that are dotting Seattle in the hundreds, bringing in thousands of apartment/condo units. Seattle is a forest of cranes right now.

Having traveled around the Portland area myself a few months ago (I have family who own multiple properties near downtown), it is quite suburban outside of downtown, and downtown itself is not that large or tall. I also didn't notice that much building construction going on.

But I could be unaware of some massive apartment/office project if someone cares to share that information?
Like I mentioned, the main construction seems to be in the Llloyd District. Right by the Llloyd Center in the near NE.

Portland being Portland, most of the rest of the growth seems to be infill projects where a tiny house springs up or a larger house gets demolished and two or more houses fill the vacant lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or