U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM

32 posts, read 44,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
That's misleading because Portlanders don't care for high-rise construction. They don't get enough sunlight to let skyscrapers block out the sun. Right now, the bulk of the construction is going up in the Lloyd District.

I'd give up on "booming" cities and look at cities with under the radar growth like Kansas City or the Twin Cities. I've already decided to "summer" in the Twin Cities next year.

Hopefully, it will go better than this summer's Portland misadventure.
I thought Mpls is booming. They got good jobs and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,713,463 times
Quote:
They used to. The current administration sells out their souls to crony developers and then gives lip service to the current residents of the city.
I have seen this graft first hand. It is the absolute truth. Good urban development does not entail knocking down perfectly good smaller dwellings and little green spaces to build monster apartment buildings in their place overcrowding older neighborhoods leaving no place to park and raising the rents so high the current residents are forced to move out. These huge apartment buildings are going up all over the city. Check out any neighborhood; Hawthorne, Alberta, Division, Beaumont, St Johns etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There are other ways to grow besides up, and Portland does urban growth about as well as anyone in the country.
If this is doing urban planning as well as any other city, I guess you can say that Portland does it just as good as anyone else.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM

10,827 posts, read 9,468,469 times
Booming and non-southern with 4 seasons but not semi-arid like Denver?

Minneapolis, DC, Indy

I think the winner is Indy for you.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,530,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogrimey View Post
The economy is booming but the population is growing slowly. Best of both worlds.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM

32 posts, read 44,975 times
Quote:
The economy is booming but the population is growing slowly. Best of both worlds.
is it because of the weather?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:31 PM

737 posts, read 1,414,596 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say the population is growing slow. The metro has kept up with or exceeded the national average over the past few years. We have reached the 400K threshold again, that has been since I moved here in 09. Since the end of the recession things have been significantly picking up. However it is much appreciated that the economy is growing strong along with a steady population growth rate. So far the cost of living has not exceeded the Quality of Life, and I agree it is definitely best of both worlds!

Last edited by sandlapper; 08-27-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 PM

737 posts, read 1,414,596 times
Quote:
is it because of the weather?
I'm sure it contributes, but also it's the Midwest and it's Americas second favorite punching bag now. The "Boomers" are largely driving the population explosions in the southern, and western states, largely because of low cost of living and of course the frontline belief of year round "great weather". The Twin Cities has a national average cost of living but a higher than average salary payout so if you can handle January and February then it's a good deal.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,575,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You haven't lived here nearly as long as I have to know every in an out of this city. Sorry just a fact.
Wait a while and you will see.

Have you had the enjoyment of walking into the path of a group of thug teenagers yet that prowl around Center City at night? I have. Just wait for that joy to befall you.

There are just too many poor, poverty stricken people in Philly, with jobs that long ago left, yet that population still hangs around. When they leave, the city will improve.
I'll chime in here. I've lived in Philly since 1990. Is that long enough for you? Moved here as a transplant. I'll second what Pine to Vine says and cast a vote against your negativity.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,159,071 times
Pittsburgh.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,159,071 times
Quote:
I heard Minneapolis people tend to be extremely insular and not really interested in getting to know newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or