U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,125,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I heard Minneapolis people tend to be extremely insular and not really interested in getting to know newcomers.

I've heard that about the Midwest, the south, all small towns, Seattle, the pacific northwest, New England....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM

734 posts, read 734,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I've heard that about the Midwest, the south, all small towns, Seattle, the pacific northwest, New England....
Yep. It's not a regional thing.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
New England is welcoming to newcomers though. I've known many people who moved here from the Midwest or wherever, and we made friends with them in no time. But I don't think that's the case with Midwestern places.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,125,814 times
Quote:
New England is welcoming to newcomers though. I've known many people who moved here from the Midwest or wherever, and we made friends with them in no time. But I don't think that's the case with Midwestern places.

That was kinda my point..I've felt most places are welcoming to strangers, but I bet I could find at least a dozen threads about how New England, cities like Boston, states like Maine etc. are insular.

As far as that not being the case in the Midwest..I mean why would people in Burlington, VT be that much different than folks in Madison, WI.? Or Portland, ME. vs. Des Moines?

I've lived all over the Midwest, spent summers with family in Maine and Seattle, spent a yr in San Diego and a couple months in New Orleans...I can't tell a bit of difference in how people act towards strangers.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 PM

6,869 posts, read 7,825,340 times
Quote:
I read this claim from you earlier in this thread and it struck me as a real head-scratcher. So since you are persisting in it, I have a few questions: Exactly what is your bolded comment above based on? Is it based on your experiences living there? Or is it based on anecdotes? Hearsay? Conjecture? Pre-conceptions? Some combination of these? Or something else entirely?

I am a native east coaster who has lived in 7 states, including Missouri. I found the people there as friendly and as open as in the other states I've lived (including the people I met during my time Massachusetts in New England - your neck of the woods). I attribute the friendliness as much to them as it was to my behavior. I didn't move there with any performed judgments about what what Missourians might be like. Perhaps they sensed that and responded in turn. Who knows?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I read this claim from you earlier in this thread and it struck me as a real head-scratcher. So since you are persisting in it, I have a few questions: Exactly what is your bolded comment above based on? Is it based on your experiences living there? Or is it based on anecdotes? Hearsay? Conjecture? Pre-conceptions? Some combination of these? Or something else entirely?

I am a native east coaster who has lived in 7 states, including Missouri. I found the people there as friendly and as open as in the other states I've lived (including the people I met during my time Massachusetts in New England - your neck of the woods). I attribute the friendliness as much to them as it was to my behavior. I didn't move there with any performed judgments about what what Missourians might be like. Perhaps they sensed that and responded in turn. Who knows?
My assertion about the Midwest being more insular than New England is based on numerous reviews and comments on various places (e.g., Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Columbus) as seen on certain competing websites other than City-Data. City-Data doesn't have reviews available for each city like other sites do.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,957,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogrimey View Post
Philly is not booming.
Oh.... it's not? Yeah, okay.

Quote:
Pouppirt's contracts, including several in Center City, are part of what is ranking the Philadelphia metropolitan division third nationally in the number of construction jobs added in a year, according to a trade group's analysis of Labor Department numbers.
Philadelphia, along with Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties, has added 8,500 construction jobs from July to July. Only Houston and Dallas have added more.

Read more at Phila. third in U.S. in new construction jobs
Phila. third in U.S. in new construction jobs

Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
My assertion about the Midwest being more insular than New England is based on numerous reviews and comments on various places (e.g., Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Columbus) as seen on certain competing websites other than City-Data. City-Data doesn't have reviews available for each city like other sites do.
So that answers that. In my experience, not everything I've read on the internet is true.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogrimey View Post
Philly is not booming.
Interesting. According to this article, Philly has added the third highest number of construction jobs among the major US metros, behind only Dallas and Houston: Phila. third in U.S. in new construction jobs.

As a transplanted Houstonian, that explains the somewhat familiar feeling I get when yet another project is announced in this city.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:40 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,470,658 times
Generally if we see our city has a booming downtown, which is its heart after all and gentrifying neighborhoods outward. That is a positive reason to boast for our favorite city? Most of our major, especially northern cities. Can't annex any more lands to develop. They already are surrounded by suburbs already as incorporated municipalities. My favorite Big city of CHICAGO, annexed its last acreage in the 50s? While Houston or Dallas may still be able to and recently have? Those who HAVE POSITIVES TO POINT OUT AND LIST on their cities to boast of? SHOULD NOT HAVE THIER OPPINONS AND VIEWS DEMEANED AND LESSONED AS OF NO WORTH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or