U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
Reputation: 9513

Advertisements

OK, all these towns look beautiful and perfect in photos. But common sense tells me there's GOT to be a downside. An ugly side. A wrong side. Right?

Are there jobs? Is there diversity? Is there crime? Is there poverty? How far do you have to go to find those things. Down the street? The next town over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,398,087 times
Reputation: 2895
Since when were Normal Rockwell towns "diverse" amongst several other things noted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Reputation: 14805
I've seen non-white people in cute New England small towns. Sometimes more than one in a visit! Anyhow, up here we got decaying mill towns with some Norman Rockwell-esque looking places nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 12:19 PM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, all these towns look beautiful and perfect in photos. But common sense tells me there's GOT to be a downside. An ugly side. A wrong side. Right?

Are there jobs? Is there diversity? Is there crime? Is there poverty? How far do you have to go to find those things. Down the street? The next town over?
Which places in particular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Reputation: 48862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, all these towns look beautiful and perfect in photos. But common sense tells me there's GOT to be a downside. An ugly side. A wrong side. Right?

Are there jobs? Is there diversity? Is there crime? Is there poverty? How far do you have to go to find those things. Down the street? The next town over?

I posted Poland Ohio. No downside that I can think of. Historic and settled by New Englanders, so a lot of the architecture is reminiscent of the Norman Rockwell look. Lots of homes built in the 18th 19th and early 20th century. There are newer homes also.

People are friendly. I think most mid westerners are,

There is a Mall with excellent shopping in Boardman. If there was a mall i the town, I think that would subtract from the appeal. The whole Rockwell thing. The mall is about ten munites away and there are mom and pop shops and restaurants in town. Boardman is more normal suburban. Not quite as quaint. But certainly not dangerous. Canfield is near by and is also nice. But not nearly as "Norman Rockwellesque". There is nothing scary there. Or anywhere near there.

The high school, Poland Seminary High School is one of the best in the state. It was founded as a private prep school in the 1700s and it maintains those excellent standards. It's a good district.

Home prices are very, very low, as are taxes.

The one thing it is lacking would be diversity. There are a diverse group of middle to upper middle class white folks. But I think "Caucasian" accounts for something like 98%.

I've never thought that the term "Norman Rockwell Town" connoted much diversity, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Reputation: 48862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've seen non-white people in cute New England small towns. Sometimes more than one in a visit! Anyhow, up here we got decaying mill towns with some Norman Rockwell-esque looking places nearby.

I went to college in Worcester MA. So I am very familiar with decaying mill towns. They have their own strange beauty. Even in Worcester there was a Norman Rockwell type of area.
I can't remember where, but a lot of the professors lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good ones canudigit, as those are some that came to mind in MI. Plymouth and Farmington, while surrounded by usual suburbia, would fit too. Webberville, DeWitt and Williamston in the Lansing area come to mind too.

Like Bobloblawslawblog stated, Upstate NY would fit and is why I suggested looking further west in Upstate NY. Just look in the metro areas and you can find at least 1 in each of them, big or small. A couple of sleepers may be Owego and possibly Corning, as both fall under the Guthrie Health Network: Guthrie Owego also has a Lockheed Martin plant and Corning is home to Fortune 500 company Corning Inc. Others that come to mind are: East Aurora, Lewiston, Brockport, Fairport, Pittsford, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Clinton, Homer, Trumansburg, Seneca Falls, Waterloo, Canandaigua, Honeoye Falls, Fayetteville, Manlius(village), Spencerport, Orchard Park, Williamsville, Penn Yan, Horseheads and Sackets Harbor, among many other villages.

Another thing about Corning is that it has more than you would think, with things like this: Home : Corning's Gaffer District
American Planning Association Designates Corning's Market Street a Top 10 Great Street for 2013 : Corning's Gaffer District

cmog.org
Rockwell Museum - Art about America

Home | osfl

Here are some more streetviews to give an idea of what they look like: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Owego...320.47,,0,7.21

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=corni...291.69,,0,9.63

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=east+...,232.2,,0,9.63

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lewis...221.01,,0,3.12

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=brock...132.18,,0,1.04

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fairp...,23.17,,0,5.96

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pitts...11,246.93,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=skane...1,5.62,,0,3.12

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cazen...25.52,,0,-4.57

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=clint...13.34,,0,-2.36

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=homer...25.12,,0,-1.52

https://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on....d=0CIYBEPIBMAs

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=senec...224.59,,0,3.19

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=water...247.51,,0,2.77

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Canan...04.47,,0,-2.42

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=honeo...273.94,,0,7.34

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fayet...71.43,,0,-0.28

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=manli...,73.26,,0,4.57

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=spenc...175.22,,0,5.68

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=orcha...283.82,,0,1.04

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=willi...,12.85,,0,0.28

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=penn+...,329.38,,0,1.7

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=horse...223.99,,0,5.61

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=sacke...32.42,,0,-0.62

Here are the Michigan examples: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=willi...,75.33,,0,0.48

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=webbe...,276.56,,0,6.3

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dewit...,39.13,,0,8.59

Some have hardly any diversity to some in their schools/community. Some are more isolated and some are next to/near similar towns or cities. Job markets or possibilities will vary due to the previous sentence. All are pretty much safe with at least solid schools. You may have virtually little to maybe some poverty in some of these communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
Reputation: 9513
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I posted Poland Ohio. No downside that I can think of. Historic and settled by New Englanders, so a lot of the architecture is reminiscent of the Norman Rockwell look. Lots of homes built in the 18th 19th and early 20th century. There are newer homes also.

People are friendly. I think most mid westerners are,

There is a Mall with excellent shopping in Boardman. If there was a mall i the town, I think that would subtract from the appeal. The whole Rockwell thing. The mall is about ten munites away and there are mom and pop shops and restaurants in town. Boardman is more normal suburban. Not quite as quaint. But certainly not dangerous. Canfield is near by and is also nice. But not nearly as "Norman Rockwellesque". There is nothing scary there. Or anywhere near there.

The high school, Poland Seminary High School is one of the best in the state. It was founded as a private prep school in the 1700s and it maintains those excellent standards. It's a good district.

Home prices are very, very low, as are taxes.

The one thing it is lacking would be diversity. There are a diverse group of middle to upper middle class white folks. But I think "Caucasian" accounts for something like 98%.

I've never thought that the term "Norman Rockwell Town" connoted much diversity, though.
Just a thought, but doesn't Ohio and many NE / MW states have different forms of municipalities that the rest of the country? Like townships ... villages ... hamlets etc. I never quite understood how that worked, especially when it comes to taxes and services and who runs the schools and sweeps the streets ... but it seems to me that these self-governing little fiefdoms seldom change. People are mostly natives, related to natives, who know natives, who've been there since the beginning. Nobody moves in, nobody moves out. That would explain the lack of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 PM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
Reputation: 3788
On the OP's 3 stated criteria, potentially Hummelstown, PA Hummelstown Business & Professional Association | Hummelstown Business and Professional Association could be worth considering. Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Children's Hospital, College of Medicine - Home - Penn State Hershey would have a Hummelstown postal address if they didn't use a PO box. The cuteness of a PA style town is a bit different from New England because houses tend to be both closer together and to the road. However, Hummelstown has more detached style homes compared to older communities further east in PA that can have rowhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 03:28 PM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Just a thought, but doesn't Ohio and many NE / MW states have different forms of municipalities that the rest of the country? Like townships ... villages ... hamlets etc. I never quite understood how that worked, especially when it comes to taxes and services and who runs the schools and sweeps the streets ... but it seems to me that these self-governing little fiefdoms seldom change. People are mostly natives, related to natives, who know natives, who've been there since the beginning. Nobody moves in, nobody moves out. That would explain the lack of diversity.
It depends on the small town. For instance, Brockport, one of the small towns I mentioned has a SUNY Campus and also has a history in relation to getting Black migrant workers from GA and FL decades ago that put down roots in the area. Same for some small towns in Wayne County and Orleans County in Upstate NY. The makeup of these towns may not be like Southern towns, but say if you went to a HS Football or Basketball game between Lyons and Clyde-Savannah up here, the teams would be a mix of Black, White and maybe even Hispanic players. You can click on the photo for those schools and schools like Newark, Sodus, Williamson, Wheatland-Chili, Brockport, Spencerport and other small town teams here to see what I'm talking about where it says teams/rosters to the left: Section V Boys' Basketball 2013-2014

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-22-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top