U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 PM

56,718 posts, read 81,038,544 times

Advertisements

Another one that came to mind due to being about a couple of hours from Cleveland with its Cleveland Clinic and an hour from Buffalo with its Roswell Park Institute. Fredonia Chamber of Commerce - Welcome

Fredonia, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://goo.gl/maps/Z7Gra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv24069.php
Norman Rockwell was from New England and I'm sure that there are many towns that are Norman Rocwellesque there.

However, for more bang for your buck, beautiful homes, a Village square and white steepled churches check out the lovely Poland Ohio.

More pictures on the city data site.

Great schools. Safe. And about 45 minutes from the famed Cleveland Clinic.
To clarify, Norman Rockwell was a New Yorker and spent his 45 years or so living in New York before he moved to Vermont and later Massachusetts. Grandma Moses was also a New Yorker. And Currier and Ives made their prints very often from scenes in Upstate New York and in and around New York City.

I mention this simply because the famous rural small town "New England look" does not end exactly at the state line.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 PM

What about employment, isis? What about the type of home in terms of age? How far would too far be to quality health care?

Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,198,657 times
Stillwater, Hastings, Lanesboro, and Northfield, Minnesota are the epitome of Rockwellian.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM

Another one: Village | Town of Marcellus
Town of Marcellus

http://goo.gl/maps/kEHor

Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 AM

173 posts, read 197,602 times
Slidell, LA. They have tons of old mom and pop shops and a wonderful sense of community, but it's only 30 miles outside of New Orleans.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 AM

333 posts, read 595,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, all these towns look beautiful and perfect in photos. But common sense tells me there's GOT to be a downside. An ugly side. A wrong side. Right?

Are there jobs? Is there diversity? Is there crime? Is there poverty? How far do you have to go to find those things. Down the street? The next town over?
We went through Beaufort, SC a few days ago. We were terribly disappointed. All of the pictures we've seen have been GORGEOUS. The town didn't resemble that at ALL. It looked in great need of repairs/work, people didn't seem happy...NOT the happy pretty small town I expected.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 AM

333 posts, read 595,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about employment, isis? What about the type of home in terms of age? How far would too far be to quality health care?
My husband works for a company that has a global presence so we are looking at areas that interest us first and creating a "final list" so to speak. Then we can see where there are locations to those.

We are open when it comes to the age of the homes. We would not be opposed to fixing up an old house or, even better, getting a building that was something else and turning it into a home.

I would say within an hour of really good healthcare, especially for spine and heart.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
My husband works for a company that has a global presence so we are looking at areas that interest us first and creating a "final list" so to speak. Then we can see where there are locations to those.

We are open when it comes to the age of the homes. We would not be opposed to fixing up an old house or, even better, getting a building that was something else and turning it into a home.

I would say within an hour of really good healthcare, especially for spine and heart.
What are the areas that interest you the most?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
We went through Beaufort, SC a few days ago. We were terribly disappointed. All of the pictures we've seen have been GORGEOUS. The town didn't resemble that at ALL. It looked in great need of repairs/work, people didn't seem happy...NOT the happy pretty small town I expected.
I have never been to Beaufort so I cannot say what it is like. But a lot of nice old towns still have buildings that need work. The buildings are old and often quite large so they may be hard to keep up with. After all its normal real life not something like Disney World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.