Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,201 times

Advertisements

Alright guys I'm in desperate need of some advice! Currently living in Ohio but I'm wanting to relocate somewhere near the ocean. I recently graduated with a degree in Marine Biology (ironic? ) and I am trying to find a job in this field which has been a struggle thus far.. With that said, I am thinking about keeping my current job (personal trainer) and just relocating, so I am at least by the beach and hopefully will get a Marine Biology related job sooner or later! Here are my stipulations...

-Not too touristy or full of snowbirds
-Good spot for surfing, scuba diving, and other outdoors stuff
-Job opportunities for fish & wildlife conservation and/or personal training & fitness
-A place with open minded, accepting, and friendly people
-Low crime rates
-Not too expensive for cost of living (hello, broke college student!)
-And a place where I am almost guaranteed to NEVER have to deal with snow again!

My idealized place would be warm almost year round; good spot for surfing and scuba diving (no further than 20-30 min drive to the beach); a safe, smaller, local-feeling city that's not to crowded with tourists and hotels; not outrageous cost of living; and a place where I can meet new friends my age or at least with similar interests. Coming from a town of 12,000 people in rural Ohio, I don't have many companions who enjoy the things I do! I'm not looking to start a family or anything yet so I don't care so much about good schools, nice quiet neighborhoods or things like that. I would actually rather be somewhere that's closer to a college with people my age (early 20's or even 30's).

Some places that I have visited and have in mind already are: Folly Beach, South Carolina. Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, Jensen Beach, or Delray Beach, Florida. I've also had California in mind although I probably cannot afford to live there quite yet, and I also don't know if I would like the cold water and dessert feel.. I've visited almost every coastline of Florida besides the Keys and these are the places I've liked the most. If you guys could help me out that would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Check out the Jacksonville Beach/Neptune Beach FL area. The Jacksonville metro has a healthy job market which should offer many options and fulfills the rest of your criteria largely.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Get a job first. The coasts, except for the Great Lakes, are expensive. Your income level will dictate your location more than any other factor.

"My idealized place would be warm almost year round; good spot for surfing and scuba diving (no further than 20-30 min drive to the beach); a safe, smaller, local-feeling city that's not to crowded with tourists and hotels; not outrageous cost of living; and a place where I can meet new friends my age or at least with similar interests." - this is non-existent on the East Coast and Gulf unless you are in the upper income levels or want to live in a swamp. The coast of Maine can even been super expensive with only service jobs available. The West Coast has many more remote towns but they come with no jobs, high costs, and/or worse weather.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 AM

20 posts, read 30,151 times
Siesta. But it's not an area for a poorazz

Old 09-05-2014, 11:03 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times

The best beach I've been to is in Sardinia.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
My FAVORITE beaches were in Maui, HI, but cost of living is very high there.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
While I love southern California, and while we do have have very unique scuba diving,
I think you would probably be happier in Florida.

But if you do consider CA:

There are small, uncrowded beach towns that are off the radar even to locals.
While the cost of living is a bit higher, it is not unaffordable.
In Huntington Beach, one bedroom rentals are going for about $1500 - about 1 mile from the beach
and although you never want to deal with snow again, you can still find it in the mountains in less than 2 hours (just in case you get home sick).

Southern California Pluses:
Better general climate
more varied topography
Fewer bugs
improving job market
very health conscious (with lots of gyms and sport clubs)

Southern California Minuses:
Our water is a lot cooler than what you would find on the east coast.
Crowding along the coastal regions

Old 09-05-2014, 01:32 PM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
The Oregon Coast.. The whole thing is stunning

Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 8,201 times
Thanks for the input everyone! I'll continue searching. I am aware the cost of living is high around the coasts and not for a "poorazz" as one of you mentioned lol but there are ways around that like moving in with a roommate, or being a short-term beach bum. I'm just trying to find the right area for me first and figure out how I'm going to afford to live there later. I'm kind of a gypsy soul so I enjoy going with the flow and traveling around. If I had to live in a van and shower at the local gyms until I found a place to live I would be down.. (mildly joking, but mildly serious) just need to find the right spot!

Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfitness23 View Post
Alright guys I'm in desperate need of some advice! Currently living in Ohio but I'm wanting to relocate somewhere near the ocean. I recently graduated with a degree in Marine Biology (ironic? ) and I am trying to find a job in this field which has been a struggle thus far.. With that said, I am thinking about keeping my current job (personal trainer) and just relocating, so I am at least by the beach and hopefully will get a Marine Biology related job sooner or later! Here are my stipulations...

-Not too touristy or full of snowbirds
-Good spot for surfing, scuba diving, and other outdoors stuff
-Job opportunities for fish & wildlife conservation and/or personal training & fitness
-A place with open minded, accepting, and friendly people
-Low crime rates
-Not too expensive for cost of living (hello, broke college student!)
-And a place where I am almost guaranteed to NEVER have to deal with snow again!

My idealized place would be warm almost year round; good spot for surfing and scuba diving (no further than 20-30 min drive to the beach); a safe, smaller, local-feeling city that's not to crowded with tourists and hotels; not outrageous cost of living; and a place where I can meet new friends my age or at least with similar interests. Coming from a town of 12,000 people in rural Ohio, I don't have many companions who enjoy the things I do! I'm not looking to start a family or anything yet so I don't care so much about good schools, nice quiet neighborhoods or things like that. I would actually rather be somewhere that's closer to a college with people my age (early 20's or even 30's).

Some places that I have visited and have in mind already are: Folly Beach, South Carolina. Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, Jensen Beach, or Delray Beach, Florida. I've also had California in mind although I probably cannot afford to live there quite yet, and I also don't know if I would like the cold water and dessert feel.. I've visited almost every coastline of Florida besides the Keys and these are the places I've liked the most. If you guys could help me out that would be great!!
Ocean Springs, Mississippi. They have a Marine Research Lab there.
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory - Gulf of Mexico

The weather is mild in the winter.
Cost of living is reasonable.
Short drive to New Orleans.
Beautiful town, lots of night life.

There are beaches, but not Florida beaches, however a short boat ride will get you to some very beautiful island beaches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.