U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:43 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Are you saying NCs climate and law/rules are coming from California? I don't get that, explain please.
No, what i meant to say was that it should come from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 04:49 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
No, what i meant to say was that it should come from there.
So are you trying to say "North Carolina has the best location if the climate and laws could come from California"? If so, interesting.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 PM

17,226 posts, read 19,531,226 times
I'd say New York, California, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yet within driving distance to nothing.

if flying time is the standard, then Kansas and Missouri would have even better location.
Let's see - I live in east Texas. Within five hours (or much less) drive time I can be in:

Austin
Dallas
Fort Worth
Little Rock
Hot Springs Village, AR
The Ouachita Mountains
Houston
Galveston (and the beach)
Toledo Bend

Six hours will put me in:
New Orleans
San Antonio
OKlahoma City

And all points in between.

Seven minutes will put me at an airport and on my way to just about anywhere.

That being said, my favorite state is actually Virginia. Close to so many sights all along the eastern seaboard, a fine Southern state with rich traditions, and very genteel. Oh, and it's got a great coast line. Texas is my second favorite state - but I've built my life here and I love it. Besides that, I can hop on a plane at the nearby airport and be in Virginia later that afternoon.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,095,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, since you brought it up ...

Atlanta's boardings are impressive for a city of only 5.5 million don't you think? Compared to Chicago, a city of 9.5 million? And NYC, a city of 20 million?

Maybe these maps will help explain it:

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...-route-map.pdf

FYI: Delta's Atlanta-Johannesburg route is the longest nonstop flight in the world and the only direct connection to South Africa from the United States. You can't fly direct from NYC to South Africa. Too far.

Also don't forget Atlanta is headquarters for UPS.

Memphis too has a good location, headquarters for FedEx,
Memphis is the main hub for FedEx, busiest airport in the world from midnight to 5am.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:37 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yet within driving distance to nothing.

if flying time is the standard, then Kansas and Missouri would have even better location.
"Within driving distance to nothing"? What does that even mean? Texas is a HUGE, centrally located state. Not even including what's already in Texas, here are some driving times to various out-of-state destinations from the state line:

From the Eastern border on I-10, you can get to New Orleans in 3.5 hours (not to mention some nice points in-between, like Lafayette and New Iberia).

From the Eastern border on I-30, you're about an hour away from the Ozarks and 4 hours from Memphis.

From the Western border on I-10, you're 2 hours from the nearest ski resort in Ruidoso, New Mexico, barely over an hour from White Sands, NM, 2 hours to Carlsbad Caverns, and 4 hours to Tucson, AZ

From the Western border on I-40, you're 3 hours from both Santa Fe and Albuquerque

There are any number of highways that will take you to ports of entry into Mexico.

Just remember, this doesn't even count the many number of places already within the state of Texas that are well within comfortable driving distances of each other.

And flying? There are 14 international airports in Texas, 2 of which are some of the busiest airports in North America... where you can fly pretty much anywhere on Earth. How many international airports are there in Kansas and Missouri?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The Keystone State, Pennsylvania- where Northeast meets Midwest and The South. Maryland is similar.

There is nothing Southern about Pennsylvania, no matter how badly people pretend there is. I've actually lived both places, and been to and directly experienced many of the trashy "coal patch" towns in Fayette County, Somerset County and Cambria County, and I still experienced culture shock when I moved to Georgia that took years to come to grips with. Pennsylvania is where the Northeast meets the Appalachian Mountains. Appalachian culture ≠ Southern culture.

And I don't give a flying **** what James Carville said either; I've debunked it repeatedly here with facts, but people keep repeating some permutation of what he said like mindless drones, thinking they know what they're talking about. They don't, and he doesn't anymore either, if he ever even did in the first place. There are lots of people in Minnesota who hunt, go to church every Sunday and listen to country music; I don't hear anybody calling their state "Minnessippi" for it. **** what you heard James Carville say.

And I don't give a Confederate battle flag-flying **** about where you might have seen one of them either; it's become a poor barometer for the "Southerrness" of a region. I've seen that flag multiple times in California, and the pickup truck most heavily decorated in Confederate paraphernalia that I've ever seen had Illinois plates. It means nothing anymore.

There is no true Southern culture north of U.S. 50 east of the Mississippi River.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

There is nothing Southern about Pennsylvania, no matter how badly people pretend there is. I've actually lived both places, and been to and directly experienced many of the trashy "coal patch" towns in Fayette County, Somerset County and Cambria County, and I still experienced culture shock when I moved to Georgia that took years to come to grips with. Pennsylvania is where the Northeast meets the Appalachian Mountains. Appalachian culture ≠ Southern culture.

And I don't give a flying **** what James Carville said either; I've debunked it repeatedly here with facts, but people keep repeating some permutation of what he said like mindless drones, thinking they know what they're talking about. They don't, and he doesn't anymore either, if he ever even did in the first place. There are lots of people in Minnesota who hunt, go to church every Sunday and listen to country music; I don't hear anybody calling their state "Minnessippi" for it. **** what you heard James Carville say.

And I don't give a Confederate battle flag-flying **** about where you might have seen one of them either; it's become a poor barometer for the "Southerrness" of a region. I've seen that flag multiple times in California, and the pickup truck most heavily decorated in Confederate paraphernalia that I've ever seen had Illinois plates. It means nothing anymore.

There is no true Southern culture north of U.S. 50 east of the Mississippi River.
Settle down there, ace. Though I do totally agree with your points.

Southern culture has variations throughout the South. Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Virginia, and Kentucky all have their own special brand of Southern culture that is different from each other and different from the core-Southern states like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. Still, I agree. Once you're anywhere in PA, you are definitely no longer in the South.

So true about that flag too. I grew up in Texas and rarely ever saw it. Ever since I moved out West, I see it a lot more often than I would care to.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:15 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Illinois. Particularly Chicago's spot. Centrally located with easy (inter)national travel by plane, train, bus, and highways. Connection to both the ocean and the Mississippi river. Accessible to vast amounts of fertile farmland, freshwater, coal reserves, and hundreds of feet above sea level in a survivable climate. Not really disaster prone either (drought, earthquake, volcano, etc) though central Illinois does get a fair amount of tornadoes.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,135,718 times
UPS and FedEx care about location. UPS chose Louisville for it's world hub, FedEx chose Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.