U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,811,377 times

Advertisements

I think Wilmington, Delaware used to tout itself as a great location because it was so close to so much. (This was at a time when Wilmington had little to boast of on its own merits. Fortunately, the city has had an upturn in the last 10 to 15 years.) Anyhow, it's about equidistant between NYC and DC at about a 2 hour drive to each. Inside that distance, it is about 30 minutes to Philly and about 90 minutes to Baltimore and Annapolis. Within a two to three hour drive, one can satisfy many other interests. History? Drive to Valley Forge, Gettysburg, or Harpers Ferry. Recreation? Drive to the Chesapeake Bay or Delaware Bay in the summer or the Pocono Mountains in the winter. Beaches? Drive to Rehoboth in Delaware or anywhere along the Jersey shore. Romantic getaways? Drive to Amish country in Lancaster, the Brandywine Valley, the Hudson Valley or one of the many charming towns on Maryland's Eastern Shore. And all of this surrounded by rolling countryside dotted with farms, old mills and covered bridges. And that's just within a two hour drive. Add a few more and you're in New England or on the Outer Banks.

I know, I've read some of the Texans and midwesterners who claim "I can be a anywhere in a few hours just by hopping on a plane." Well . . . yes, sort of. Don't you have to drive the airport, undergo security, wait for your flight to board, land on the other side, collect your luggage, and pick up your rental before even getting started? And that's if everything's on time. If that works for you - great! But claiming it's somehow the same as hopping in the car for a quick two hour (or less excursion) doesn't ring true to this experienced traveler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.