U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM

44 posts, read 39,046 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I would like some input if you have a moment. I am looking to move SOMEWHERE, although I am having a hard time deciding where I should be. So first, a little about myself.
I am a single, (happily) childless, 20 something well-off woman currently living in a small town in central PA. Certified pet groomer with my own small business where I groom and offer in-home pet sitting and boarding which has become a huge success, as well as retail sales. Also a receptionist and tech at a local vet office. I love the outdoors, I enjoy hiking and walking amongst mother nature. Streams, rivers, lakes, beaches, flat plains or rugged mountains, I really enjoy being outside with my (1) dog. I enjoy learning and observing the world from different perspectives, with new sights and sounds. I enjoy a walkable downtown area for shopping and eating, I also like the busy city, with bars, restaurants and attractions for people my age, but I don't know if I would enjoy living directly in a busy city long-term (I'm a light sleeper, lol.) I would want a relatively safe area (I don't need a town with the lowest crime rates in the nation or anything, but I do want to feel comfortable enough to walk my dog or ride my bike for in-town errands.) I need to be in an area that is welcoming to new small businesses, as well as a population that is kind to out-of-towners. I DISLIKE snow with a passion. If I never had to see snow again, I would be okay with that. But I also am not too crazy about HIGH humidity, a little/moderate humidity is fine, I just don't like walking outside and feeling like I'm suffocating.
I found an article "10 US cities spending the most on pets" which includes:

Chandler , Phoenix, Tucson and Scottsdale, Arizona (Arizona has never really come to mind when I think about moving, but is anyone familiar with the listed areas? Do they fit well with what I've mentioned I'm looking for?)
Durham and Greensboro, North Carolina (I really love the idea of living in North {{or even South}} Carolina. Southern hospitality, charm, history, some beautiful homes and the coast is very tempting. With the coast, do I have to worry about damaging weather? Is there younger people and places to mingle?)
Dallas, Texas (Texas has been on my mind for nearly 2 years now. Texas seems like a great state, but very large and very far so I have issues deciding where to go to even visit. Austin sounds like a great city for young people like myself, but are people spending money on pet care there? San Antonio was another city I did some digging on.)
Virginia Beach, Virginia (Another beach, awesome, no complaints with that. I worry about cost of living. And is the population mostly of tourists?)

Nashville, Tennessee (Another state I never really thought of, or even know anything about. I'm really clueless about Tennessee actually....so if you know anything about Nashville and why I would want to live there, please help!)
Colorado Springs, Colorado (Colorado is across the country. I'm not sure I want to be THAT far from my family in PA. But I am open to nearly all suggestions, so if anyone thinks Colorado may be a good place, let me know!)
I am open to all suggestions. I need help. Does my dream home, in my dream location really exist? I haven't traveled around the US very much, so I need the help of the posters here to help give me an idea of what these areas are like. Please be kind to me! And thanks in advance!

Last edited by breannagrooms4u; 08-22-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM

43,187 posts, read 41,773,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breannagrooms4u View Post
Hi everyone. I would like some input if you have a moment. I am looking to move SOMEWHERE, although I am having a hard time deciding where I should be. So first, a little about myself.
I am a single, (happily) childless, 20 something well-off woman currently living in a small town in central PA. Certified pet groomer with my own small business where I groom and offer in-home pet sitting and boarding which has become a huge success, as well as retail sales. Also a receptionist and tech at a local vet office. I love the outdoors, I enjoy hiking and walking amongst mother nature. Streams, rivers, lakes, beaches, flat plains or rugged mountains, I really enjoy being outside with my (1) dog. I enjoy learning and observing the world from different perspectives, with new sights and sounds. I enjoy a walkable downtown area for shopping and eating, I also like the busy city, with bars, restaurants and attractions for people my age, but I don't know if I would enjoy living directly in a busy city long-term (I'm a light sleeper, lol.) I would want a relatively safe area (I don't need a town with the lowest crime rates in the nation or anything, but I do want to feel comfortable enough to walk my dog or ride my bike for in-town errands.) I need to be in an area that is welcoming to new small businesses, as well as a population that is kind to out-of-towners. I DISLIKE snow with a passion. If I never had to see snow again, I would be okay with that. But I also am not too crazy about HIGH humidity, a little/moderate humidity is fine, I just don't like walking outside and feeling like I'm suffocating.
I found an article "10 US cities spending the most on pets" which includes:

Chandler , Phoenix, Tucson and Scottsdale, Arizona (Arizona has never really come to mind when I think about moving, but is anyone familiar with the listed areas? Do they fit well with what I've mentioned I'm looking for?)
Durham and Greensboro, North Carolina (I really love the idea of living in North {{or even South}} Carolina. Southern hospitality, charm, history, some beautiful homes and the coast is very tempting. With the coast, do I have to worry about damaging weather? Is there younger people and places to mingle?)
Dallas, Texas (Texas has been on my mind for nearly 2 years now. Texas seems like a great state, but very large and very far so I have issues deciding where to go to even visit. Austin sounds like a great city for young people like myself, but are people spending money on pet care there? San Antonio was another city I did some digging on.)
Virginia Beach, Virginia (Another beach, awesome, no complaints with that. I worry about cost of living. And is the population mostly of tourists?)

Nashville, Tennessee (Another state I never really thought of, or even know anything about. I'm really clueless about Tennessee actually....so if you know anything about Nashville and why I would want to live there, please help!)
Colorado Springs, Colorado (Colorado is across the country. I'm not sure I want to be THAT far from my family in PA. But I am open to nearly all suggestions, so if anyone thinks Colorado may be a good place, let me know!)
I am open to all suggestions. I need help. Does my dream home, in my dream location really exist? I haven't traveled around the US very much, so I need the help of the posters here to help give me an idea of what these areas are like. Please be kind to me! And thanks in advance!
Nashville has suffocating humidity from May through September. The cost of housing is also high.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,428,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breannagrooms4u View Post
I'm not sure I want to be THAT far from my family in PA
Well, that's pretty limiting. Maybe you need to be "sure" or at least get a radius figure.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
There's a lot of 20 somethings in Arizona. It's pretty ridiculous, actually. If you stay near Old Town Scottsdale, you shouldn't have problems with finding many of them.

Arizona probably has more out of staters than natives. That won't be a problem here either.

Walkable? Well... No. Maybe a couple areas in Phoenix (probably around ASU) will fit the bill, but not probably of any good quality of walkability. Same for Tucson, around U of A and 4th ave. Phoenix's and Tucson's downtowns are both pretty depressing in comparison to most other cities in the US. In both of these metros you need to be looking at vibrant suburbs, not the downtowns.

When the weather is not unbearable here, most people are enjoying the many mountains within our metro to hike. They are free and within easy access. Some of them have good views of Downtown and the entire city for the most part. There are also many mountains nearby to hike outside of the metro. If you are sick of the desert scenery, you can drive up North for less than two hours to see pine trees, greenery, snow, rivers, lakes, etc. (when it's 100+ here, it's in the 70s there, and when it's in the 70s here, it's snowing up there) It's amazing how many things Arizona has for those into the outdoors.

Arizona is friendly to small businesses in taxation and rent. It also has good COL, so you can find an apartment in a safe area for pretty cheap compared to similar metros the size of Phoenix.

I would not recommend Tucson to you as it is economically depressed for the most part. If you do want to live in Tucson I would pick the wealthier suburbs like the Foothills and Oro Valley. I'd recommend Scottsdale for you, as more people are more likely to spend there on dog grooming and it has more walkable areas than most places in the Phoenix area IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or