Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM

57 posts, read 123,900 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ,

As being an Arabian and Muslim man , there is many fears of moving to America since I read in many website about hate crime against race or ethnicity

Due to my research , I found that Charleston in SC is the friendliest America cities and people there are polite and welcoming

Still that's not enough though, because I need to know about more cities that their resident have similar manners and tolerance , welcoming to strangers and has the lowest hate crime rate

I know some of you will suggest me cities with more residents of Muslims , but that's not my concern actually because I'm not sure that I will move to city with more Muslims , or why should I live in these cities ?! is that mean cities have lower rate of Muslims are not safe for Muslims ?!

I'm narrowing my list for the states that I consider to live in to make easier to find the perfect cities for me , although u can add cities (if they r really safe) even if its located outside the states that I chose

So the states are :

- Colorado
- Texas
- Virginia
- California
- Washington

PLEASE :
** Ignore very expensive cities like San Francisco and San Jose
** Choose the city that u really their people r friendly with strangers , NO BIAS to ur city or state
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Sacramento, CA is very diverse, tolerant, with a reasonable COL.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Long Beach (California) is friendly, tolerant, and home to a wide range of diverse people and religious beliefs. It's a big city though, and some neighborhoods are definitely not recommended due to safety concerns, especially if you are trying to raise a family. Some neighborhoods to consider: Belmont Heights, Belmont Shore, Bixby Knolls and California Heights. The last two are more family oriented, while the first two might be better suited if you are single and want close access to cafes, restaurants and bars.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sacramento, CA is very diverse, tolerant, with a reasonable COL.
Thank you ..

What cities other than Sacramento from ur experience ?

Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Long Beach (California) is friendly, tolerant, and home to a wide range of diverse people and religious beliefs. It's a big city though, and some neighborhoods are definitely not recommended due to safety concerns, especially if you are trying to raise a family. Some neighborhoods to consider: Belmont Heights, Belmont Shore, Bixby Knolls and California Heights. The last two are more family oriented, while the first two might be better suited if you are single and want close access to cafes, restaurants and bars.
Sorry , but I think Long beach is very expensive city , cost of living is high !

Beside that I see ur choices are from Cali state only !
Do you have any idea about cities from other states that I mentioned ?

Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
Sorry , but I think Long beach is very expensive city , cost of living is high !

Beside that I see ur choices are from Cali state only !
Do you have any idea about cities from other states that I mentioned ?
You should let us know what you think a reasonable COL is, as that might let some posters guide you better.

Long Beach is considered very affordable when it comes to California standards. So unless you plan to live in the boonies (meaning, outskirts) like Moreno Valley, you should probably consider dropping California from your list of states.

Also, Virginia, at least the diverse parts touching the Washington D.C. metro area is even more expensive.

The friendly/tolerant/diverse part of Washington state, which is essentially the Seattle metro area, is also not affordable, at least definitely not more so than Long Beach.

Essentially, from your list I only really see two states as plausible options, if COL is what is a priority: Colorado and Texas.

In Colorado, you have two options: Boulder and Denver. Boulder would be more friendly, if slightly uppity, but considered expensive. So, I would consider the Denver metro.

I think that if you can deal with the heat/humidity, the big winner on here is Texas. Texas has a bad rap for it being a Republican state, but its major cities are more cosmopolitan, progressive, accepting and diverse. Not to mention, that its COL is very cheap when compared to California and its metros. I would create a new thread on the Texas board, make some more specific remarks in terms of the type of neighborhoods you like and the type of lifestyle you want, and see if they can help you identify the Texan city that is right for you.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
You should let us know what you think a reasonable COL is, as that might let some posters guide you better.

Long Beach is considered very affordable when it comes to California standards. So unless you plan to live in the boonies (meaning, outskirts) like Moreno Valley, you should probably consider dropping California from your list of states.

Also, Virginia, at least the diverse parts touching the Washington D.C. metro area is even more expensive.

The friendly/tolerant/diverse part of Washington state, which is essentially the Seattle metro area, is also not affordable, at least definitely not more so than Long Beach.

Essentially, from your list I only really see two states as plausible options, if COL is what is a priority: Colorado and Texas.

In Colorado, you have two options: Boulder and Denver. Boulder would be more friendly, if slightly uppity, but considered expensive. So, I would consider the Denver metro.

I think that if you can deal with the heat/humidity, the big winner on here is Texas. Texas has a bad rap for it being a Republican state, but its major cities are more cosmopolitan, progressive, accepting and diverse. Not to mention, that its COL is very cheap when compared to California and its metros. I would create a new thread on the Texas board, make some more specific remarks in terms of the type of neighborhoods you like and the type of lifestyle you want, and see if they can help you identify the Texan city that is right for you.
Long beach is very affordable ?! What about San Diego then ? I think it has the same COL as Long Beach has but I guess SD is by far better than Long beach for me to live in ,,, so the question is does SD people are friendly and welcoming with strangers ??

about Virginia , are u sure cities there are more expensive than Cali ?! so what about Virginia beach ? Richmond ?? I read its affordable and both have lower COL than Long beach ,,, so tell me about these cities if u have any idea about them , especially Richmond

Old 08-22-2014, 02:13 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,464 times
San Francisco

Old 08-22-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
Long beach is very affordable ?! What about San Diego then ? I think it has the same COL as Long Beach has but I guess SD is by far better than Long beach for me to live in ,,, so the question is does SD people are friendly and welcoming with strangers ??

about Virginia , are u sure cities there are more expensive than Cali ?! so what about Virginia beach ? Richmond ?? I read its affordable and both have lower COL than Long beach ,,, so tell me about these cities if u have any idea about them , especially Richmond
Well the COL is going to be about the same throughout the state, with the exception of rents which will be highest on the coastline, especially in San Francisco Bay Area, LA and OC. Also, Wes LA and San Francisco will be the most expensive areas to live in when it comes to everything else, including daily expense like food. San Diego will have higher rents than most of Long Beach, but otherwise similar COL. As to the people, they are friendly, I guess. No one will really go out of their way for you, nor expect a "Good morning, how are you"? from total strangers. Californians, overall, keep to themselves and socially are very laissez faires. I think Texans are, overall, friendlier, but simultaneously more reserved. If a Californian asks you how you are, they don't necessarily expect a response outside of "Good, thank you"...whereas a Texan/Southerner will only ask if they actually want to know.

I don't know much about Virginia outside the area connected to the D.C. metro, which has some the more expensive real estate in the U.S. It might seem troublesome for you, but you would probably be better off posting on the Virginia board and asking specifically about the areas that interest you, like Richmond.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
San Francisco
LOL ! Have u read the thread completely ?!

Read it again plz , because I said (( Ignore very expensive cities like San Francisco and San Jose ))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.