U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 AM

308 posts, read 403,168 times

Advertisements

Black sheep I've never heard of the term Chicano until your post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 AM

19 posts, read 27,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Black sheep I've never heard of the term Chicano until your post
Chicano is what Mexican-Americans in California and the the Southwest used to call themselves. It is not very common nowadays.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 AM

19 posts, read 27,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdreamz View Post
Come to Florida where the vast majority of hispanics are not of Mexican descent. The vast majority are white or even black / dark skinned like Dominicans.
The thing is since the majority of Hispanics here are of Mexican descent (around 65% of the 54 million Hispanics in the US) most people in the US will think of Hispanics as Mexicans since they are majority. Plus Hispanics of Mexican descent are spread out throughout the US unlike Dominicans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:48 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,220,217 times
You need to understand the census better.

It is a category that is SELF IDENTIFYING.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/up...abt=0002&abg=0

The politicians put Hispanic ethnicity as a census category to help them figure out how to get more VOTES.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,322,528 times
Living in south Florida provides me with a unique look at Hispanics and "whiteness"
Mostof the Hispanics here in south FL are NOT Mexican... rather they are Cuban, Colombian, Venezuelan, Hondoran, Argentine, Puerto Rican, etc.... and many of them look "white" ie, look at the rapper "Pitbull"...white Hispanic... light skin, blue eyes.

A lot of the Hispanics here have Hispanic look to them tho....like a more swarthy look then traditional Anglo white Americans, but a lot of them have blonde hair, light skin and for all intents and purposes will become "white" as they Americanize.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,886,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat1 View Post
Chicano is what Mexican-Americans in California and the the Southwest used to call themselves. It is not very common nowadays.
Yeah, the only people my age I know that use it (I'm 27) are either from East L.A. (born and raised sort of thing), or have parents and grandparents that were part of that culture back in the 60's. Most new wave Mexican Americans (like myself again, cousins and siblings) don't identify. Even my Chicano friends say they can tell the cultural differences in the households. Heh. Just another label.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,886,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Living in south Florida provides me with a unique look at Hispanics and "whiteness"
Mostof the Hispanics here in south FL are NOT Mexican... rather they are Cuban, Colombian, Venezuelan, Hondoran, Argentine, Puerto Rican, etc.... and many of them look "white" ie, look at the rapper "Pitbull"...white Hispanic... light skin, blue eyes.

A lot of the Hispanics here have Hispanic look to them tho....like a more swarthy look then traditional Anglo white Americans, but a lot of them have blonde hair, light skin and for all intents and purposes will become "white" as they Americanize.
You don't need to live in South Florida to observe that, we have plenty of Mexicans out in California that fit that description. Except in both California and Texas, they already absorbed the Anglo culture as their own plus they have the bonus of not having to let go of certain 'hispanic'/Mexican traits since both states have Mexican culture well embedded into everyday lives (of everyone.)

The only thing that Mexicans have not been able to do, unlike the Cubans/Latin Americans in South Florida, is make Spanish the lingua franca. For the most part it is lost by the 2nd generation, and by the third generation you can be confident that your well traveled gringo neighbor speaks it better than your children. The Mexican American reality is starting to look more like Eric Garcetti (meaning mixed, a Jewish Italian Mexican American) than Antonio Villaraigosa. Mexicans date outside their own nationality/ethnicity just about as much as old wave European immigrants did in the past.

This article is old (2006) but still relevant (http://www.cato-unbound.org/2006/08/...an-americans):
Quote:
More than a third of married, U.S.-born Mexicans have non-Mexican spouses, with the overwhelming majority of these non-Mexican spouses being U.S.-born, non-Hispanic whites. Because it takes two Mexican-origin spouses to create an endogamous Mexican marriage, whereas a Mexican intermarriage requires only one Mexican-origin spouse, the observed rate of intermarriage implies that almost half of Mexican-American marriages involve a non-Mexican spouse.
Within my own circle of connections, I know people who are (all Americans) Blaxican (what black-Mexicans call themselves), Filipino-Mex, Vietnamese-Mex, Irish-Mex, German-Mex, white-Korean-Mex...etc. The most common being the Pinoy-Mex and Irish-Mex mixes, probably due to religion.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,919,709 times
Most hispanics I know are white.

So that makes sense.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,220,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

But it's not a matter of skin pigmentation.

It's a matter of if the SELF IDENTIFYING Hispanic feels it's important to claim his ancestors had enough non Caucasian blood in it to disclose. You will often hear Puerto Ricans say "we are a little bit of everything therefore not white".

80% of my Greek relatives have the same or a darker skin pigment than most Hispanics I see in FL. The other 20% look like lighter than Pitbull. There is a controversy over the ancient "Black Greek" theory so are they supposed to identify as BLACK just because of skin pigment for the census even if their ancestors can be traced simply back as Greeks.?

Do they qualify for affirmative action now even if they're "African" not "African American"?

Just goes to show the whole thing is politics, IMO.

Ethnicities Eligible for College Affirmative Action

Old 08-31-2014, 09:34 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,474,297 times
Most Hispanics have always been classified as white race by default on purpose by the U.S. Government, especially for statistical purposes.

Hispanic is NOT a race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or