U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,940,607 times

Advertisements

It's funny, I was in Miami and looking through a magazine which showed wanted criminals in the area and they would even classify black hispanics as white. Well, they were put into the "Hispanic/White" category

As far as many government agencies are concerned, even full-blown blacks that happen to have a spanish last name are white lol

I'm glad organizations are starting to get confused and go crazy over race. It's about time that the lines got even more blurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,470,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
It's funny, I was in Miami and looking through a magazine which showed wanted criminals in the area and they would even classify black hispanics as white. Well, they were put into the "Hispanic/White" category

As far as many government agencies are concerned, even full-blown blacks that happen to have a spanish last name are white lol

I'm glad organizations are starting to get confused and go crazy over race. It's about time that the lines got even more blurred.
True.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:20 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHitTheHighNotes View Post
Of course there is. It sure isn't a country.
Neither is it a race.

You mean to tell me that David Ortiz, George Lopez, and Marco Rubio are all the same race?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,762,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat1 View Post
I was looking at the most recent census population data for 2013 and noticed a very interesting category. The white race category includes Hispanics. There are about 198 million non-Hispanic whites and 54 million Hispanics (can be of any race) and most are from Mexico and Central America. When you add them up you get 252 million and subtract out black Hispanics (around 7 million) you get the census total of 245 million whites. I have argued this point with my Mexican-American friends that they will become part of white culture just like Italians and Irish did even though they were discriminated against as well. I guess politicians are scared that "whites" (myself included) are not having enough babies and in order to not lose a majority in the near future they end up adding Hispanics to the white category even though most are Mestizos. It is funny how this white category keeps on evolving.

[url=http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=PEP_2013_PEPASR6H&prodType=t able]American FactFinder - Results *[/url]

This is not something new though. I was born in the 70s in CA and I am classified as a caucasian on my birth certificate.

The problem with this invented 'Hispanic' category is that people from Latin America are multi-racial and mostly just identify to their nationality. When choosing the 'race' on applications, a Hispanic can choose the White, Native American, Black, mixed and even Asian(yes Asian) categories. Asian Latin Americans are more common than assumed.

Hispanic is an awkward term for many of us. I don't really relate to it.

Last edited by rosa surf; 08-31-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Black sheep I've never heard of the term Chicano until your post
This term came out of a social movement in the 60s and 70s, inspired by African-American/Native-American rights and identity movements.

People who call themselves Chicano are quite political and socially involved.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Living in south Florida provides me with a unique look at Hispanics and "whiteness"
Mostof the Hispanics here in south FL are NOT Mexican... rather they are Cuban, Colombian, Venezuelan, Hondoran, Argentine, Puerto Rican, etc.... and many of them look "white" ie, look at the rapper "Pitbull"...white Hispanic... light skin, blue eyes.

A lot of the Hispanics here have Hispanic look to them tho....like a more swarthy look then traditional Anglo white Americans, but a lot of them have blonde hair, light skin and for all intents and purposes will become "white" as they Americanize.
There are also quite a few White Mexicans as well. In my family we have every range of looks and skin tone possible- dark skinned, red heads, inbetween.

My best friend is a tall, naturally blonde and blue eyed Mexican. This is not that uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or