Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston could be in SW Louisiana and it would be a near perfect fit, in central Texas it would stand out like a red flag in front of a bull.
You were doing great until this. Oh well. No need to argue anymore. You have your mind pretty made up about this and so do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
You were doing great until this. Oh well. No need to argue anymore. You have your mind pretty made up about this and so do I.
Ok maybe I reached a bit. I still think Houston has more in common with Lake Charles than Waco. That's how it feels to me, gulf breeze, seafood, Cajun influence, bayous, etc.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:03 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Ok maybe I reached a bit. I still think Houston has more in common with Lake Charles than Waco. That's how it feels to me, gulf breeze, seafood, Cajun influence, bayous, etc.
I definitely agree with that. Houston is nothing like Waco.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:19 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Over Atlanta? No one said that, it's as southern as any other city in the south. You're the one who said it only has some southern "echoes" or whatever.

Beaumont isn't southern either?

You can actually still see people, mainly blacks, riding horses in north Baton Rouge on city streets. Cowboys are alive and well in Louisiana, the Angola Prison Rodeo a few miles north of Baton Rouge is the longest running prison rodeo in the country. Guess we're not southern either?

New Orleans and Cajuns have nothing to do with each other.
Houston could be in SW Louisiana and it would be a near perfect fit, in central Texas it would stand out like a red flag in front of a bull.
1.) Houston (especially the southern area) is very much like Corpus Christi and even Brownsville, just more "worldly," and with more "dope" rap music.
2.)I see you misread my post. I said the "Southeastern culture" kicks in once you enter Beaumont.
3.)Okay, the people in Louisiana have their culture that echoes into Greater Houston, but as stated before, Greater Houston has more in common with the rest of Texas than with anywhere in Louisiana
4.)No, it would not be a near perfect fit. Beaumont and Port Arthur, yes, but not Houston. Do you honestly think a pure Texan city like Houston would fit in perfectly with the old southern culture in Louisiana? The logical answer would be no; we see that Houston is tied to the Texas Triangle, which will be getting high-speed rail sooner or later, making communication faster with fellow Texas cities. Being in the gulf portion of the state, Houston is simultaneously tied with the Texas Coastal Bend of Corpus Christi.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 AM

28 posts, read 65,310 times
I've always thought of Atlanta as THE southern city.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Bold: What can be found in the entire Texas Coast from Beaumont to Brownsville.
Italics: Represents an influence that is only a mere echo, not the main defining culture.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
1.) Houston (especially the southern area) is very much like Corpus Christi and even Brownsville, just more "worldly," and with more "dope" rap music.
2.)I see you misread my post. I said the "Southeastern culture" kicks in once you enter Beaumont.
3.)Okay, the people in Louisiana have their culture that echoes into Greater Houston, but as stated before, Greater Houston has more in common with the rest of Texas than with anywhere in Louisiana
4.)No, it would not be a near perfect fit. Beaumont and Port Arthur, yes, but not Houston. Do you honestly think a pure Texan city like Houston would fit in perfectly with the old southern culture in Louisiana? The logical answer would be no; we see that Houston is tied to the Texas Triangle, which will be getting high-speed rail sooner or later, making communication faster with fellow Texas cities. Being in the gulf portion of the state, Houston is simultaneously tied with the Texas Coastal Bend of Corpus Christi.
No you didn't. You said southern culture kicks in after you cross the Sabine, which is the state line.

I can't believe how you even think this is true. Houston reminds you more of Lubbock, El Paso, Waco, and San Angelo than Lake Charles?

I never thought I would have to argue this, CD amazes me..

Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygeography View Post
I've always thought of Atlanta as THE southern city.
How nice. This is your first post.
Quote:
Bold: What can be found in the entire Texas Coast from Beaumont to Brownsville.
Italics: Represents an influence that is only a mere echo, not the main defining culture.
Lol. Quotes are always in italics.
While it is faint, it ties it more to Louisiana than anywhere else in Texas 50mi away from the coast. Houston has much less in common with most of Texas versus SW and NW Louisiana.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:40 AM

320 posts, read 578,503 times
Quote:
Of course the two of you would say that, because both of you have this strong fetish to have Houston labeled as "southern," over Atlanta(the obvious "capital of the south").
Houston is not southern? They use to teach that Texas did secede.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
No you didn't. You said southern culture kicks in after you cross the Sabine, which is the state line.

I can't believe how you even think this is true. Houston reminds you more of Lubbock, El Paso, Waco, and San Angelo than Lake Charles?

I never thought I would have to argue this, CD amazes me..
1.) I meant Trinity.
2.) Replace the cities mentioned with Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Dallas, and Austin, and the answer would be a resounding yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.