U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,377,878 times

Advertisements

Philly is doable-if you rent a 3 br rowhome in South Philly for instance it shouldn't be more than $500 a person with 3 people.

Young city with great nightlife, huge cultural/art/museum presence, big College town, the expansive Fairmount Park, close to the beach, close to NYC and DC, not much snow usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Every gay black man isn't interested in Atlanta. The OP said he's interested in the East Coast, wants proximity to NYC, and access to the water. That clearly eliminates Atlanta.
I think people were mentioning Atlanta because it meets all of his criteria except the one about proximity to NYC. He said he could manage weekend trips to the beach and that's very much doable in Atlanta. The fact of the matter is that he's not going to get a city that meets all of his criteria, especially wanting a city with low snowfall and close proximity to NYC.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:19 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
I think anywhere within driving distance of NYC is going to have snow and a worse winter than Denver. And the snow doesn't melt fast in that part of the country like it does in Denver.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,377,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think anywhere within driving distance of NYC is going to have snow and a worse winter than Denver. And the snow doesn't melt fast in that part of the country like it does in Denver.
I would love to experience a winter in Denver (especially skiing in shorts) but I don't think Winter is worse in Philly.
Denver averages over twice the amount of snow and the temps seem to be much colder.

Average Winter Temps

Philly

December 46 High 29 Low

January 41 High 24 Low

February 45 High 26 Low

Denver

December 46 High 16 Low

January 47 High 16 Low

February 49 High 18 Low

Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I would love to experience a winter in Denver (especially skiing in shorts) but I don't think Winter is worse in Philly.
Denver averages over twice the amount of snow and the temps seem to be much colder.

Average Winter Temps

Philly

December 46 High 29 Low

January 41 High 24 Low

February 45 High 26 Low

Denver

December 46 High 16 Low

January 47 High 16 Low

February 49 High 18 Low
Denver is a very weird climate in winter, and hard to compare to other snow climates. It will typically get well in to the 60s some days in winter, if not hit 70. And then it can be extremely cold for a few days.

Denver gets more snow overall, but you won't see 5' of snow on the ground. The heaviest snows typically occur in spring and fall, and then they melt very fast. In winter, the snow tends to be in the "dusting to a couple inches" range, and with the strong sun and temps well above freezing during the days, it still melts rather fast even in Dec - Feb. And then you factor in the lower humidity, and a sunny, 45 degree day in January can be quite pleasant. I've been in Philly in January and the higher humidity made the cold feel much worse to me.

Up in the mountains (where you actually ski), they get much more snow (talking many feet on the ground) than down in the Denver metro area.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,154,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think people were mentioning Atlanta because it meets all of his criteria except the one about proximity to NYC. He said he could manage weekend trips to the beach and that's very much doable in Atlanta. The fact of the matter is that he's not going to get a city that meets all of his criteria, especially wanting a city with low snowfall and close proximity to NYC.
There's a handful of cities that fit the criteria, but if the OP clearly specified East Coast I don't see why it's even necessary to mention Atlanta unless someone is simply making assumptions based on his demographic.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:26 PM

56,507 posts, read 80,803,243 times
I wonder if Baltimore or places in Delaware like Wilmington or Newark would work?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
There's a handful of cities that fit the criteria, but if the OP clearly specified East Coast I don't see why it's even necessary to mention Atlanta unless someone is simply making assumptions based on his demographic.
What handful of cities do you know that are within close proximity to NYC and don't get a lot of snow in the winter? Again, no one city will fit all of his criteria so mentioning Atlanta as an option is within reason. Now if he's willing to put up with snow and have a couple roommates, then a couple East Coast cities will work but something will have to give.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Many actually afford living in larger cities on smaller budgets by having roommates. I think the OP is aware he's not going to live alone in a one bedroom on Park Avenue on that budget.
True though 500-750 / month is still low with roommates on a budget for NYC, except maybe a cramped or far away neighborhood. 750-1000 / month is more reasonable.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:29 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,819,909 times
Quote:
To be fair, nobody knows what the OP means by East coast, especially since he also mentioned Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.