Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,758,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What handful of cities do you know that are within close proximity to NYC and don't get a lot of snow in the winter? Again, no one city will fit all of his criteria so mentioning Atlanta as an option is within reason. Now if he's willing to put up with snow and have a couple roommates, then a couple East Coast cities will work but something will have to give.
I'm saying that there are a handful of other cities that fit the criteria as much as Atlanta does. Just admit that it was the main city being suggested because he is black and gay.

As I and others have mentioned, some of the further south parts of Virginia and maybe Pennsylvania would work. It isn't even necessary to go as far away as Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
To be fair, nobody knows what the OP means by East coast, especially since he also mentioned Virginia.
When did Virginia suddenly stop being the East Coast? The OP specified which corner of the country he was interested in, so I'm not seeing where everyone else is getting confused.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,353,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
When did Virginia suddenly stop being the East Coast?
The same time NC, SC, Georgia and Florida stopped being "East Coast".

Last edited by LordHomunculus; 08-25-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The same time NC, SC, Georgia and Florida stopped being "East Coast".
Hmm. When was this?

Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Hmm. When was this?
You tell me, since Atlanta, GA stopped being East coast according to you.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
You tell me, since Atlanta, GA stopped being East coast according to you.
The state that Atlanta is in has a very small coast. The city itself completely landlocked and is closer to most Midwestern citieds than the Boswash corridor. It's a stretch to call it the East Coast. Regardless, the specific areas he was interested in were listed. Georgia was not on that list. Virginia was.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The state that Atlanta is in has a very small coast. The city itself completely landlocked and is closer to most Midwestern citieds than the Boswash corridor. It's a stretch to call it the East Coast. Regardless, the specific areas he was interested in were listed. Georgia was not on that list. Virginia was.
lol . Georgia has a larger coast than Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland, Connecticut and New Hampshire, so that argument doesn't mean much.

Also, if you're one of those few who think East Coast = Northeast, then that most likely doesn't include Virginia, seeing as how VA is barely heard of being lumped with that screwy definition of East Coast. Therefore, the OP can just be referring to the ACTUAL East coast, which includes NC,SC,FL AND GA.

Anyways, my whole point was that there isn't much reason to shoot down recommendations of Atlanta yet. Either way, we'll have to wait until the OP gets back and further describes what he wants most.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
lol . Georgia has a larger coast than Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland, Connecticut and New Hampshire, so that argument doesn't mean much.
True but every area in those states has considerable proximity to the Atlantic. If you were to etase state lines one would see that Atlanta is nowhere near the coast.

Quote:
Also, if you're one of those few who think East Coast = Northeast, then that most likely doesn't include Virginia, seeing as how VA is barely heard of being lumped with that screwy definition of East Coast. Therefore, the OP can just be referring to the ACTUAL East coast, which includes NC,SC,FL AND GA.
Nothing I've said even suggested that East Coast = Northeast. I'm not even sure how you got that idea.

Quote:
Anyways, my whole point was that there isn't much reason to shoot down recommendations of Atlanta yet. Either way, we'll have to wait until the OP gets back and further describes what he wants most.
I'm not totally discounting Atlanta. I'm saying that the reasons for some suggesting it are possibly misguided.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 PM

37,829 posts, read 41,662,391 times
Quote:
I'm saying that there are a handful of other cities that fit the criteria as much as Atlanta does. Just admit that it was the main city being suggested because he is black and gay.

As I and others have mentioned, some of the further south parts of Virginia and maybe Pennsylvania would work. It isn't even necessary too as far away as Georgia.
Well I live in Atlanta and am familiar with what it offers; I don't think offering one's own city as an option is so wrong or suspicious. And yes, having a sizable Black gay population here would also be advantageous for him, but that's but one factor. Size is another, since Atlanta's peers in the BosWash corridor were also under consideration. Atlanta is really the only city outside of those that fit most of his criteria. We've got the nightlife, affordable COL, a large built-in potential peer group, several jobs in his field due in part to the large media presence here, notable cultural venues and opportunities, a great collection of colleges and universities where he can pursue his master's, the winter climate he's looking for, and within an acceptable distance to beaches. Most metros smaller than Atlanta, will come up significantly short in the jobs category (in his field), and the other large cities (LA, SF, Chicago) are either quite expensive (which he might be able to work around with enough roommates) or get a lot of snow in winter.

PA doesn't check all the boxes due to snow, and I don't know of anywhere in southern VA that would work. Hampton Roads isn't exactly a magnet for young educated professionals; almost all of the folks I know (young Black educated professionals, most of whom are alumni of HBCU's in the area) who used to live there have long moved to the DMV area. The only one who hasn't is active military. Hampton Roads revolves mainly around the military, tourism, and associated industries.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-25-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,472,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well I live in Atlanta and am familiar with what it offers; I don't think offering one's own city as an option is so wrong or suspicious. And yes, having a sizable Black gay population here would also be advantageous for him, but that's but one factor. Size is another, since Atlanta's peers in the BosWash corridor were also under consideration. Atlanta is really the only city outside of those that fit most of his criteria. We've got the nightlife, affordable COL, a large built-in potential peer group, several jobs in his field due in part to the large media presence here, notable cultural venues and opportunities, a great collection of colleges and universities where he can pursue his master's, the winter climate he's looking for, and within an acceptable distance to beaches. Most metros smaller than Atlanta, will come up significantly short in the jobs category (in his field), and the other large cities (LA, SF, Chicago) are either quite expensive (which he might be able to work around with enough roommates) or get a lot of snow in winter.

PA doesn't check all the boxes due to snow, and I don't know of anywhere in southern VA that would work. Hampton Roads isn't exactly a magnet for young educated professionals; almost all of the folks I know (young Black educated professionals, most of whom are alumni of HBCU's in the area) who used to live there have long moved to the DMV area. The only one who hasn't is active military. Hampton Roads revolves mainly around the military, tourism, and associated industries.
Amen to all of this.

Not to mention, but OP's stated employment in digital media means that he would almost certainly need to look for work in a bigger city. Atlanta is not only large, but it also has the diversified business base that would make it much easier to find employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.