U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,754,501 times
Reputation: 931

Advertisements

Philadelphia and Wilmington are 2 US cities 30 miles apart. Of course they have a lot of similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Center City
6,864 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Reputation: 9487
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Philadelphia and Wilmington are 2 US cities 30 miles apart. Of course they have a lot of similarities.
You're not making sense, I'm afraid. I know they have a lot of similarities. And now you're saying the same thing. Yet you're the one who is saying the state is transitional. I asked you if it was based on one article about African-American history in Delaware. Is that the only reason why you feel the state is "transitional?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,265,062 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Not taking your bait.
Bait? Look at the city's culture, politics, economy, language, and history. It's much, much, much more like Pennsylvania than Virginia. You can't contest this, because there is no evidence to use. Wilmington is a northern city like Philadelphia. In fact, it's basically a satellite city of Philadelphia. You've never even been to these places yet you are making claims based on "African-American History" links on the internet. What you are saying is totally ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I'm sorry, but that doesn't tell me a lot. Transitional how? Most of Delaware shares the same media market as Philly, the same sports teams, the same airport, the same accent, same religious profile, etc. Delawareans eat scrapple and potatoes for breakfast - not grits and biscuits with gravy. I'm not trying to dissuade you of your opinion that it's transitional, but just trying to discern what means to you. I've lived in DE, MD, PA and VA. IMO, the area that is transitional in this region is southern Maryland on the Western Shore.
Yes, this is exactly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,754,501 times
Reputation: 931
Southern Delaware has more of a Tidewater accent and is more "southern."

Wilmington is 30 miles from Philadelphia and is more "Northeastern."

Is the article irrelevant? I do think African American history is VERY relevant when discussing what is the South.

But my main point is that NY/NJ/PA and MD/DC aren't the same region. There are 2 distinct subregions that have both been labelled mid-Atlantic (officially by the Census Bureau in the former, unofficially in the latter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,265,062 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Southern Delaware has more of a Tidewater accent and is more "southern."

Wilmington is 30 miles from Philadelphia and is more "Northeastern."

Is the article irrelevant? I do think African American history is VERY relevant when discussing what is the South.

But my main point is that NY/NJ/PA and MD/DC aren't the same region. There are 2 distinct subregions that have both been labelled mid-Atlantic (officially by the Census Bureau in the former, unofficially in the latter).
Uh...no it isn't. People from Delaware do not have a "tidewater accent" Once again you have no clue what you are talking about. Is it possible that people who live in the area know it better than a guy living in a foreign coutnry who has only made an occasional trip to the DC suburbs? You've never even been to Delaware. MD and Delaware are abolsutely in the same region as Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I wish I cloud say we are more like Virginia, but it is a flat out lie. Anyone who knows the area knows this is true.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,754,501 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Bait? Look at the city's culture, politics, economy, language, and history. It's much, much, much more like Pennsylvania than Virginia. You can't contest this, because there is no evidence to use. Wilmington is a northern city like Philadelphia. In fact, it's basically a satellite city of Philadelphia. You've never even been to these places yet you are making claims based on "African-American History" links on the internet. What you are saying is totally ridiculous.
I wasn't just talking about Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,265,062 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I wasn't just talking about Wilmington.
You've never even been to Delaware, and it is painfully obvious. The rest of the state south of Wilmigton is not southern. Seriously, do you consider anything that is 1% southern to be impure and no longer northeastern? I guarantee that if I blindfolded you and dropped you off in Vineland you would not be able to tell the difference from Milford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,754,501 times
Reputation: 931
Why is Delaware officially classified as a Southern state by the Census Bureau? I guess it is "painfully obvious" that the people at the Census Bureau are idiots and have never been to Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Center City
6,864 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Reputation: 9487
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
1. Southern Delaware has more of a Tidewater accent and is more "southern."

2. Wilmington is 30 miles from Philadelphia and is more "Northeastern."

3. Is the article irrelevant? I do think African American history is VERY relevant when discussing what is the South.

4. But my main point is that NY/NJ/PA and MD/DC aren't the same region for administrative purposes. There are 2 distinct subregions that have both been labelled mid-Atlantic (officially by the Census Bureau in the former, unofficially in the latter).
1. You are wrong about the accent (See Post No. 105).

2. The bulk of Delaware's population is in metro Wilmington.

3. African-American history is important. But it is one of countless characteristics that combine to form a region's culture. If you feel it outweighs all others, then so be it.

4. Now to your main point. I am aware of how the Census divides the states into regions. If that was all I was interested in, I'm would not have needed to open this thread. I am also well aware of your thesis that there are these "unofficial subregions," but I haven't found a lot of salient evidence from you that supports their existence.

I'm afraid you're just taking me in circles. It feels like you say Delaware is transitional because southern Delaware is southern. What does that mean, exactly? And the only real reason that you seem to believe even that appears to be because of an article on African-American history and inaccurate information on accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,265,062 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Why is Delaware officially classified as a Southern state by the Census Bureau? I guess it is "painfully obvious" that the people at the Census Bureau are idiots and have never been to Delaware.
The Census Bureau is one government agency, and it is of little importance what region Delaware is in. The Library of Congress puts Delaware in the Northeast - does that make it definitive? No need to be emotional just because you have no argument of any substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top