U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We're not talking about "Northeastern." Where do you see "northeastern" anywhere in the title of the thread?

We're talking about the Mid-Atlantic. And yes, Virginia is the Mid-Atlantic. There are a bazillion sources confirming this.

Now the Northeast = New England + Mid Atlantic. Just sayin....
The exact same place that I saw you mention "New England." MId Atlantic =Lower Northeast+ Upper South... That's are far as it goes. VA is Mid Atlantic, yet southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2014, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,087,385 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It used to be southern, but it's effectively been taken over by Yankee transplants. The Mason-Dixon Line is getting pushed down to the VA/NC Border.

A city like Norfolk has more in common with DC or Baltimore than it does with Nashville or Atlanta.
Your first statement would be totally wrong...your second statement would be right because of history and proximity which is one reason the modern day usage of Mid-Atlantic is really about these areas and not some "Middle Colonies."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, traditionally, Washington, DC never had hip hop (they were about Go-Go), so anything south of Philadelphia was considered Southern Hip Hop. But times have changed. We can't keep living in the past. Hampton Roads has nothing in common with places like Jacksonville, New Orleans, Houston, etc. It looks more like New England than any of those places.
Yes Washington DC didn't have a WELL known hip hop history but what goes on is brainwashing...if they did come out rapping they would still be from the East Coast. NY and Philly don't own the label so when people relate in RAP terms instead of regional and logistical reality, that is where the confusion comes in. Go Go is an East Coast form of music from the city of Washington DC, imagine that. Miami Bass is an East Coast form of music from the city of Miami, imagine that. The Dirty South is a RAP region. The East Coast for the RAP world may be interpreted as just NY/PHI but that is not reality. As far as the RAP world goes the WHOLE DMV was supposed to go by "Middle East" which is what Pusha was hinting at but he knows that's not his idea so he play his role and others will rep that who rep that. People cant half way pay attention to context which is where all this confusion comes from. Also, some ninjas think they funny and $#!t but they not...so tryn be slick to a ninja that KNOW, aint wassup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Mid Atlantic is a sub-region that stretches from north to south Atlantic states. The Mason- Dixon is where the south begins. Anything south and west of that line is in no way Northeastern.
Its really that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 04:33 PM
 
29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We're not talking about "Northeastern." Where do you see "northeastern" anywhere in the title of the thread?

We're talking about the Mid-Atlantic. And yes, Virginia is the Mid-Atlantic. There are a bazillion sources confirming this.

Now the Northeast = New England + Mid Atlantic. Just sayin....
VA. Isn't. Northeastern. That's pure madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Reputation: 7075
New York State is mid-Atlantic, which means that the city of Plattsburgh, NY is considered to be in the mid-Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
New York State is mid-Atlantic, which means that the city of Plattsburgh, NY is considered to be in the mid-Atlantic.
Like was said several times, originally they were the Middle States not the Middle Atlantic states. So it seems strange now that Plattsburgh would be Mid-Atlantic but there are historic reasons for it.

New York is also a bit strange because while in many ways it has a lot in common with its neighbors but at the same time it does not quite fit into any of the nearby regions easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The exact same place that I saw you mention "New England." MId Atlantic =Lower Northeast+ Upper South... That's are far as it goes. VA is Mid Atlantic, yet southern.
The Northeast = New England + Middle Atlantic. Period. We've already established this. There are sources to back this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Reputation: 5632
There are sources to "back up" any position on this issue. If reading the dozens of city-data threads on this topic recently should demonstrate anything, it's that (A) there is NOT a commonly accepted definition of the Mid-Atlantic, and (B) the definition of the Northeast = New England + Mid-Atlantic is not shared by everyone.

There seems to be two prevailing notions.
1. The Mid-Atlantic is a subset of the Northeast and Virginia is not part of the Mid-Atlantic.
2. The Mid-Atlantic includes some Northeastern and some Southeastern states and Virginia is part of the Mid-Atlantic.

Go read your thread in the Hampton Roads forum. There aren't very many replies yet but several have already said that in their opinion they are Mid-Atlantic AND Southern.

So you can't say that because there are "sources" that say Virginia is Mid-Atlantic that therefore Virginia is northeastern. I'd wager that most of the "sources" come from Prevailing Notion #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
There are sources to "back up" any position on this issue. If reading the dozens of city-data threads on this topic recently should demonstrate anything, it's that (A) there is NOT a commonly accepted definition of the Mid-Atlantic, and (B) the definition of the Northeast = New England + Mid-Atlantic is not shared by everyone.

There seems to be two prevailing notions.
1. The Mid-Atlantic is a subset of the Northeast and Virginia is not part of the Mid-Atlantic.
2. The Mid-Atlantic includes some Northeastern and some Southeastern states and Virginia is part of the Mid-Atlantic.

Go read your thread in the Hampton Roads forum. There aren't very many replies yet but several have already said that in their opinion they are Mid-Atlantic AND Southern.

So you can't say that because there are "sources" that say Virginia is Mid-Atlantic that therefore Virginia is northeastern. I'd wager that most of the "sources" come from Prevailing Notion #2.
Virginia is the Mid-Atlantic. We can at least all agree on that.

Yes, the Census Bureau places VA in the South. This is true. But the Census also puts MD, DC and VA in the South. So that must be wrong. It's wrong because we know these states are Middle Atlantic States.

In reality, Richmond has more in common with DC and Baltimore than it does with Savannah or Birmingham. It is economically and culturally tied into the I-95 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
New York is also a bit strange because while in many ways it has a lot in common with its neighbors but at the same time it does not quite fit into any of the nearby regions easily.
That's true, but VA is definitely tied into NYC economically, especially with the Northeast Regional running from Boston to Newport News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Reputation: 5632
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Virginia is the Mid-Atlantic. We can at least all agree on that.

Yes, the Census Bureau places VA in the South. This is true. But the Census also puts MD, DC and VA in the South. So that must be wrong. It's wrong because we know these states are Middle Atlantic States.
Again, not everyone's definition of Mid Atlantic excludes the South. Is it part of the Northeast, part of the Southeast, overlapping both, or is it part of neither the Northeast nor the Southeast but its own region? Different people have different opinions on this. I consider the Mid Atlantic to be part of the Northeast, and therefore Virginia to me is not part of the Mid Atlantic. I suspect those who include Virginia in their definition of the Mid Atlantic tend to think of the Mid Atlantic as being part of the northeast and southeast (overlapping the two regions) or its own region apart from either the northeast or the southeast. Again, see your thread in the Hampton Roads forum for the opinions of people who live in southeastern Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In reality, Richmond has more in common with DC and Baltimore than it does with Savannah or Birmingham. It is economically and culturally tied into the I-95 corridor.
That is true. Places close to one another are usually more similar to one another than places much farther apart, even if there is a regional boundary between them. Richmond is more similar to DC (100 miles away) than it is to Savannah (500 miles away) or Birmingham (nearly 700 miles away).

Richmond is also more similar to Raleigh or Greensboro than it is to Bangor ME or Burlington VT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top