U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:59 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,385,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think North/South is the wrong way to look at it. The Mid Atlantic is really a combination of both. At the end of the day, Newport News, VA and Newark, NJ are part of the same region. They are both culturally Mid Atlantic. No question about it.

And if you look at the Baltimore forum, a majority of respondents don't view themselves as "northeastern." So in that sense, Baltimore and Richmond are quite similar.

Is Baltimore an Northeastern city?

I doubt you would see a similar result in the Philly forum, for example.

Besides, if a city has rowhouses, you can rest assured its not in the South. Richmond also had industry much like Baltimore. You can see its industrial heritage when passing through on I-95.
Seriously, what is your true angle with these kinds of threads Bajan? I'm really curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 AM

582 posts, read 776,350 times
His opinion could be like mine:
I sometimes change what I say to fit definitions set earlier in the discussion: If the Mid-Atlantic is considered a section of the North in the thread I am likely to agree MD is in the north, though I would prefer to think of the Mid-Atlantic as a separate region or trans-regional definition.

In my mind the Mid-Atlantic is centered on the Chesapeake Bay, because the usage of "Mid-Atlantic" in the DC area almost always means MD, DC, VA, DE. I have not heard it used otherwise except in books and on C-D.

However, I would define two culturally distinct regions surrounding the Bay, which I will call the Tidewater and the Atlantic Midland. The Tidewater is the descendant of the old Chesapeake bay culture, including Southern MD and much of Anne Arundel, lower 2/3 of Delmarva, Tidewater VA, and northeast and coastal NC. The Atlantic Midland is a much smaller region, including south Jersey, southeast PA, upper 1/3 of Delmarva, and Central MD. These cultures mix rather than clash in the center: I would think Annapolis is likely to feel familiar to a Southern Marylander or a Baltimorean. The neighboring Appalachian regions are culturally distinct, aligned towards Pittsburgh or southern Appalachia rather than either of these regions.

I personally advocate more strict definitions than the usual North/South argument. The "Tidewater" and "Atlantic Midland" definitions I gave developed distinctly, both linguistically, culturally and historically, from the greater South or North but, having been less influential cultures over time, have been significantly influenced by the greater regions and by each other.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 09-08-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm still trying to convince my GF, who's from Augusta, GA, that she's still in the south.
Sounds like you and your GF have had some interesting conversations. As someone from Georgia why does he feel she is no longer in the south now that she lives in Baltimore?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM

582 posts, read 776,350 times
To better illustrate my thoughts:
Don't assume the lines are exact, I drew this in 5 min in MS Paint.
Spoiler

Based on the poll, I would guess most people think my "Atlantic Midland" and the "Mid Atlantic" are one and the same.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
How does VA get more votes than NY

I guess my version of the Mid Atlantic differs

Old 09-08-2014, 10:03 AM

7,728 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Sounds like you and your GF have had some interesting conversations. As someone from Georgia why does he feel she is no longer in the south now that she lives in Baltimore?
She's said that it feels absolutely nothing like the south. She can't find the foods here that she can find in the south, she says the culture is much different, the urban environment is different. She says that Baltimore is too crowded, streets too small, rowhouses...etc. It's just different.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
How does VA get more votes than NY

I guess my version of the Mid Atlantic differs
I think the bulk of Virginia's Mid-Atlantic identification is with NOVA.

That's obviously the same latitude as Maryland and Delaware, which have the greatest number of votes.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
She's said that it feels absolutely nothing like the south. She can't find the foods here that she can find in the south, she says the culture is much different, the urban environment is different. She says that Baltimore is too crowded, streets too small, rowhouses...etc. It's just different.
I'm afraid I agree with her. Baltimore feels very similar to northern cities and quite different from southern cities, as I experience them. You seem to feel Baltimore is a southern city, however, if I am reading your posts correctly. Why is that? Do you, for example, feel Baltimore is more similar to Philly or Norfolk?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 AM

867 posts, read 1,087,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think the bulk of Virginia's Mid-Atlantic identification is with NOVA.

That's obviously the same latitude as Maryland and Delaware, which have the greatest number of votes.
Urnt wrong!!!

Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 AM

28,255 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
She can't find the foods here that she can find in the south.
She can't find collard greens, yams and grits in a city that's 64% Black? You can find those things in Cambridge, MA little less Baltimore.

Why don't you take her to Lexington Market?

Quote:
There were several serious, hard core, fried chicken stalls, everything-but-the-squeal pork butchers and sausage grillers. My stomach finally found this place which was just the perfect collection of candied yams and chicken and and collard greens-black-eyed-peas-candied-yams-mac-and-*cheese-grits.
Lexington Market - Downtown - Baltimore, MD | Yelp

Or take her to basically any random corner in Baltimore where a fried chicken box and half and half can be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or