U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM

6,859 posts, read 7,804,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
How does VA get more votes than NY

I guess my version of the Mid Atlantic differs
I suspect we may share the same view. Early in the thread, a poster gave his or her view on the thread topic and did not list New York as a mid-Atlantic state. I asked what region they felt New York belonged in. After some silence, s/he responded - their own??

I continue to be curious to hear from other posters who didn't "check the box" for New York in this thread. If not mid-Atlantic and not New England, then . . . what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:18 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,485,783 times
Baltimore looks a little like Philly to me, but the people speak with a totally different accent.
In Philadelphia, you can tell you're up north with the dutch; Baltimore not as much.

I know some of you have heard you're speaking dutch to me.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM

17,251 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Again, here is the Italian/Irish/Polish/Jewish breakdown for different metros.
And all those people speak Italian, Gaelic, Polish and Hebrew at home, don't ya know.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And all those people speak Italian, Gaelic, Polish and Hebrew at home, don't ya know.
Actually, many Jews in Brooklyn do speak Yiddish (or some form thereof) at home.

It's interesting you bring this up though. There's a movie shooting in my neighborhood right now. One of the crew members moved here from Ireland back in the 1980s. When I asked him if the Irish in Boston were "real" Irish or watered down Irish, he responded "Oh, they're f*ckin hard core Irish." He said the same thing about many of the Irish in Philly.

Philly was actually the first city outside of Ireland or Scotland to host the Irish Dance World Championships. We edged out Boston. Boston got it the very next year though.

Fox (Philly), World Irish Dance Championships - YouTube

Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
not so much gaelic. Lots of Hebrew (maybe not as first language) and still a fair amount of Italian

I grew up with Italian as common for Sunday dinner - wish I retained more to be honest

and yes one difference to me compared to a DC is there are still Philly where these languages are common, though most will speak english equally or first

now also other languages from newer immigrant groups vietnamese etc. but the Italian, Irish and even Jewish influence is palpable and vastly different from my experience living in DC (including DC, MD (well greenbelt for only 3 months was hell but did see Manute Bol at a chinese restaurant; Dude was tall (and skinny as were his kids) RIP Manute seemed like a kind soul), and NOVA

Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
not so much gaelic. Lots of Hebrew (maybe not as first language) and still a fair amount of Italian
Even if people don't speak those languages, aspects of those languages still appear in various ethnolects. The "Nuyorican" accent, for example, has become the standard Hispanic accent for all Hispanics in the Boroughs when speaking English. Similarly, Yiddish has had an impact on the New York accent that extends beyond the Jewish community. You have a few groups that have influenced the way that New York as a whole speaks.

I was at a conference and one of the presenters was an Italian woman. She kept using her hands to make gestures while speaking. About 5 minutes into her presentation, she became conscious of what she was doing, put her hands behind her back and said, "I'm sorry, but you've gotta understand, I'm Italian."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2PNtu5KFKc

Italian Hand Gestures: A Short History - YouTube

Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Quote:
Even if people don't speak those languages, aspects of those languages still appear in various ethnolects. The "Nuyorican" accent, for example, has become the standard Hispanic accent for all Hispanics in the Boroughs when speaking English. Similarly, Yiddish has had an impact on the New York accent that extends beyond the Jewish community. You have a few groups that have influenced the way that New York as a whole speaks.

I was at a conference and one of the presenters was an Italian woman. She kept using her hands to make gestures while speaking. About 5 minutes into her presentation, she became conscious of what she was doing, put her hands behind her back and said, "I'm sorry, but you've gotta understand, I'm Italian."

How to talk South Philly Italian - YouTube

Italian Hand Gestures: A Short History - YouTube
well believe it or not I have a real job and do consulting at times c level suites. Still to this day I have to consciously keep my hand gestures to minimum. I am only half Italian (other half Irish) a dime a dozen here.

I have literally put my hands on a podium in front a large crowd speaking engagement to limit my gestures.

When I was younger a co -worker would mock in the back of presentations old habits die hard; including how I say water, sometimes still slip back when I am not conscious about it

Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 PM

7,744 posts, read 6,146,579 times
Quote:
That's not what that means. That means 61.76% of non-Hispanic Whites are Italian, Irish, Polish or Jewish. Are you in high school?

Right...except for the part I just mentioned a few minutes ago about the large Black population.

No, it's not. Philly is 43% Black. Baltimore is 64% Black. If we can't get basic, easily accessible facts straight, we can't even have a conversation.

I didn't say that Philly didn't have soul food restaurants. I said that the Black neighborhoods sell two of the city's staples--cheesesteaks and water ice. That's something that ALL Philadelphians have in common regardless of ethnicity. And the chicken box in the average Baltimore neighborhood is the equivalent of the cheesesteak in the average Philadelphia neighborhood. It's a part of Baltimore's identity as much as the crabcake is.

At Max's Getting My Cheesesteak Made - YouTube
I'm getting the impression that you don't really know much about Baltimore, or AA cuisine, or the definition of the word "Majority," so we'll end this conversation here, as there won't be any changes in opinion today from either side.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm getting the impression that you don't really know much about Baltimore, or AA cuisine, or the definition of the word "Majority," so we'll end this conversation here, as there won't be any changes in opinion today from either side.
Dude, only 50%+ is a majority. How can you not understand this?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
well believe it or not I have a real job and do consulting at times c level suites. Still to this day I have to consciously keep my hand gestures to minimum. I am only half Italian (other half Irish) a dime a dozen here.

I have literally put my hands on a podium in front a large crowd speaking engagement to limit my gestures.

When I was younger a co -worker would mock in the back of presentations old habits die hard; including how I say water, sometimes still slip back when I am not conscious about it
LOL. That's funny. You see the hand gestures in a lot of Black Philadelphians too.

50 Cent x Beanie Sigel with the Hot Boys in Philadelphia PT 2 | Interview | 50 Cent - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or