U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2014, 04:28 PM
 
Location: The City
22,339 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Reputation: 7744

Advertisements


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeyHZOe1fMg


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6DYcWlLB_8


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSp3k7Vw0mE


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BjKoXZQiU




some may actually be embarrassing a bit

actually my current hood is gentrifying these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Dude, only 50%+ is a majority. How can you not understand this?
There's more than one definition for the word; However, plurality would be the better term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There's more than one definition for the word
In Baltimore, probably, and perhaps this alternative universe we call City-Data. In the real world, however, a "majority" means greater than 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Reputation: 11726
It's all about the pizza and water ice.


Best Philly Pizza - YouTube


The Quest For: The Greatest Water Ice - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In Baltimore, probably, and perhaps this alternative universe we call City-Data. In the real world, however, a "majority" means greater than 50%.
https://www.google.com/search?redir_...&action=devloc

You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 05:17 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,755,184 times
Reputation: 931
Interesting how African Americans in Philly, NYC and Boston don't have Southern accents, while they do in Chicago and Detroit (as well as Maryland/DC). Is that do to a higher proportion coming from earlier migrations? (I believe Philadelphia was something like 11% Black in 1930 while Chicago was more like 6%). Were they less segregated historically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,755,184 times
Reputation: 931
Re: Italians. Some places where Italian is still spoken.

remaining Italian enclaves

South Philadelphia still has some ZIP codes that where 5% speak Italian at home.

There are more Italian-speaking Italians in the New York area and also around Boston and Chicago.

Baltimore doesn't seem to have much of an Italian presence at all and no ethnic enclaves, as can be found in NYC, Boston and Philadelphia, smaller Northeastern cities like Hartford and Rochester, as well as in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Interesting how African Americans in Philly, NYC and Boston don't have Southern accents, while they do in Chicago and Detroit (as well as Maryland/DC). Is that do to a higher proportion coming from earlier migrations? (I believe Philadelphia was something like 11% Black in 1930 while Chicago was more like 6%). Were they less segregated historically?
Blacks in the Midwest came from Mississippi and Arkansas, while blacks in the Baltimore area came from the Carolinas. Three of my grandparents are from North Carolina (Raleigh) and one from Virginia. I wonder why the DC area's AA accent is so much different from Baltimore's given the proximity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Interesting how African Americans in Philly, NYC and Boston don't have Southern accents, while they do in Chicago and Detroit (as well as Maryland/DC). Is that do to a higher proportion coming from earlier migrations? (I believe Philadelphia was something like 11% Black in 1930 while Chicago was more like 6%). Were they less segregated historically?
Most Blacks arrived to the Northeast during the Second Great Migration (1940-1970). In 1940, Brooklyn had a Black population of 107,264 (1.99% of the population). By 1970, the Black population had exploded to 654,988 (25.17%).

I do think more intense segregation in other cities may have played a role. I don't see what else it could be. When you meet a Black person with a full blown New York accent, it becomes pretty clear they didn't get it from their grandparents who moved up from Georgia.

There's a Puerto Rican guy at the 1:13 mark who says "I grew up with a lot of Italians, so they always thought I was an Italian." So I guess being around different types of people rubs off on you to some extent. I meet some Asians with full blown New York accents. And I come across a lot of Jamaicans with the accent. Less with Trinis, Bajans and Guyanese. At the 1:59 mark, there's a Black woman who says "I must have the thickest Brooklyn accent in the world because people pick it up automatically."


New York Accents, A Movie - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,755,184 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Most Blacks arrived to the Northeast during the Second Great Migration (1940-1970). In 1940, Brooklyn had a Black population of 107,264 (1.99% of the population). By 1970, the Black population had exploded to 654,988 (25.17%).
Right, though it seems Philadelphia is a partial exception - while more came in the 2nd Great Migration, a higher proportion is descended from earlier migration. It was 11% Black in 1930 while Chicago was 7% and both cities were a third Black in 1970.

Quote:
There's a Puerto Rican guy at the 1:13 mark who says "I grew up with a lot of Italians, so they always thought I was an Italian." So I guess being around different types of people rubs off on you to some extent. I meet some Asians with full blown New York accents. And I come across a lot of Jamaicans with the accent. Less with Trinis, Bajans and Guyanese. At the 1:59 mark, there's a Black woman who says "I must have the thickest Brooklyn accent in the world because people pick it up automatically."


New York Accents, A Movie - YouTube
Do they sound more like Jewish or Italian New Yorkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top