U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,599,565 times

Advertisements

I never heard of the term "Mid-Atlantic" until city data. Now I have heard of the historical term "Middle colonies" but that's it. I think PA, NJ and NY should be considered a new term called the "North Atlantic" which together with the New England states create the Northeast and DE, MD and VA (though most of VA is still a solidly southern state) can be considered mid atlantic states which would be the grey area/neutral/transitional (whatever you want to call them) states located in between the Northeast and the South. Technically via the census, the Mid Atlantic states are PA, NJ and NY (which together with the New England states create the Northeast) and DE, MD, and VA are south Atlantic states in the Southern U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,994 posts, read 3,474,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I never heard of the term "Mid-Atlantic" until city data. Now I have heard of the historical term "Middle colonies" but that's it. I think PA, NJ and NY should be considered a new term called the "North Atlantic" which together with the New England states create the Northeast and DE, MD and VA (though most of VA is still a solidly southern state) can be considered mid atlantic states which would be the grey area/neutral/transitional (whatever you want to call them) states located in between the Northeast and the South. Technically via the census, the Mid Atlantic states are PA, NJ and NY (which together with the New England states create the Northeast) and DE, MD, and VA are south Atlantic states in the Southern U.S.
You obviously don't live on the East Coast or Mid Atlantic:

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOAA Graphical Forecast for Mid Atlantic

https://www.mafcu.org/

Old 08-26-2014, 12:09 PM

6,869 posts, read 7,820,891 times
Quote:
Technically via the census, the Mid Atlantic states are PA, NJ and NY (which together with the New England states create the Northeast) and DE, MD, and VA are south Atlantic states in the Southern U.S.
But I am not seeking "technical" answers. I am savvy enough to know about the Census and wouldn't have opened a thread to be informed how that agency categorizes states. I am interested instead in posters' views and what they are based on. You are from Philly if I'm correct. Do you feel Delaware, half an hour south of us, is culturally different enough to be in a different region? Aligned with Richmond & Roanoke?

Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,994 posts, read 3,474,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
But I am not seeking "technical" answers. I am savvy enough to know about the Census and wouldn't have opened a thread to be informed how that agency categorizes states. I am interested instead in posters' views and what they are based on. You are from Philly if I'm correct. Do you feel Delaware, half an hour south of us, is culturally different enough to be in a different region? Aligned with Richmond & Roanoke?
Exactly too much emphasis on a census designation, no one is riding around thinking when they are in the census designated south/north. People go off feel and what looks similar to each other.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM

17,322 posts, read 19,597,329 times
Quote:
I never heard of the term "Mid-Atlantic" until city data.
In the Washington DC area, the term is used fairly often nowadays in the names of a variety of organizations and institutions in the area. More people in general also call this the Mid-Atlantic.

I guess its use has become particularly common in the last 10 years or so.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Thing is, western New York never struck me as being Midwestern. Great Lakes, yes. Midwest, no. Buffalo and Rochester are basically the intersection of New England and Great Lakes cultures, much like Pittsburgh being the intersection of megalopolitan and Appalachian cultures.
Oh I totally agree that Western NY (or anywhere in NY state) is definitely not the Midwest, even if it does touch the Great Lakes. To me, New York State is just the Northeast. Same for Pennsylvania.

I think where it gets confusing with the term "Mid Atlantic", is the fact that it includes both parts of the Northeast, as well as parts of the Upper South. It's kind of of an "inter-regional" sub-region... if that makes sense.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Status: "They say progress but I see degeneracy." (set 11 hours ago)

1,246 posts, read 586,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
West Virginia is a state that you can literally split in half between regions. U.S. 60 and south is part of the interior South, and U.S. 50 and north are part of the interior Northeast. (In between is in between.) It also makes more sense to include it with the Mid-Atlantic than the Midwest. The rural Midwest is heavily agrarian, whereas the rural Northeast and Mid-Atlantic are mountainous. Furthermore, it's far enough east to get belted by nor'easters in the winter, and it straddles the Eastern Continental Divide.

Thing is, western New York never struck me as being Midwestern. Great Lakes, yes. Midwest, no. Buffalo and Rochester are basically the intersection of New England and Great Lakes cultures, much like Pittsburgh being the intersection of megalopolitan and Appalachian cultures.

As far as my definition of the Mid-Atlantic, I tend to subdivide it. There's the northern Mid-Atlantic and the southern Mid-Atlantic. The northern Mid-Atlantic is basically anywhere north or east of the Mason-Dixon line that's not part of New England: Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and the northern panhandle of West Virginia. The southern Mid-Atlantic is anywhere south or west of the Mason-Dixon line that's not part of the deep South: District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia minus the northern panhandle. The culture of the northern Mid-Atlantic tends to originate from the New York/Philadelphia blob, and the culture of the southern Mid-Atlantic tends to originate from the Washington DC/Baltimore blob and the "Tidewater" region of Virginia.

By the way, these days I don't have a problem including North Carolina with the southern Mid-Atlantic because I never considered it part of the deep South, and it seems more aligned with Virginia culturally, socioeconomically and politically than it does with South Carolina.
I agree on New York. I can accept what you said about the Mid-Atlantic being split between the regions with MD as the quintessential M-A state.

I think that this fits well (for right now and in the not too distant future re:the little section of NC).

Last edited by 80s_kid; 08-26-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 03:41 PM

781 posts, read 1,096,717 times
Middle Colonies(NY,NJ,&PA) + Upper South Atlantic(DEL,MD,&VA) = Modern Day Mid Atlantic!

Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 PM

346 posts, read 758,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the Washington DC area, the term is used fairly often nowadays in the names of a variety of organizations and institutions in the area. More people in general also call this the Mid-Atlantic.

I guess its use has become particularly common in the last 10 years or so.
The name is also extremely common in the Norfolk/Va Beach/Tidewater area of Virginia for organizations, businesses, and networks.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 PM

867 posts, read 1,090,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
The name is also extremely common in the Norfolk/Va Beach/Tidewater area of Virginia for organizations, businesses, and networks.
Its been common here more than 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or