U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I've been around your state quite a bit - probably more than the average non-resident. I used to go to Parkersburg regularly on business. I've spent a day in Harpers Ferry and another in Charleston. Also, although I only saw it through my windshield, I've driven though both panhandles. I get a lot of what you're saying, but just to play devil's advocate, I'd like to through out a few of my own thoughts. You suggest that the eastern panhandle is similar to Maryland, but many Marylanders would say that part of Maryland is extremely different from the rest of the state. I also know WV borders KY as well as southwest Virginia (where I was in graduate school), and my guts tells me it gets pretty "southern" in the southern half of your state (please correct me if I'm wrong). Further, you state where you live (the cultural heart of the state) is midwestern. Yet, you feel WV, a state that doesn't have a coast, should be classified as Mid-Atlantic. I am not challenging you - I would just like more insight into your opinion. Is it just a compromise, or do you feel the stae more culturally aligns with the Mid-Atlantic than say, the south or the midwest? Thanks.
PA is considered a Mid-Atlantic state, but obviously it doesn't completely reflect the East Coast. Using PA as an example, I'd say only the eastern 3rd of the state is similar to states like Maryland, NJ, and DE. The middle 3rd is more like WV and Appalachian, and the Western 3rd more Midwestern. Even though it all feels different, the whole state is placed as a Mid-Atlantic state according to most people.

West Virginia best fits as a Mid-Atlantic state as well, because even though there are some areas that resemble other regions, the location of the state on the East Coast (despite it not touching the ocean) marks it as such. There is no such thing as Mid-Atlantic culture, so that can't be a qualifier. And I wholeheartedly believe Virginia is a Mid-Atlantic State. So that leaves WV sandwiched between three Mid-Atlantic States (VA, MD, PA). That leaves WV no choice but to be a Mid-Atlantic state.

It is simply more similar to VA, MD, and PA as opposed to KY and OH.

Here is a picture I made of the cultural influences that in my opinion draw the state close to East than West. Sorry for the quality:
Which states are Mid-Atlantic?-wv-culture.bmp

1). PA/Pittsburgh // Clearly an influence from that part of PA and the architecture, interests, and accent.
2). Western Maryland // Kind of a melting pot of WV and PA anyways, but still carries Mid-Atlantic vibe.
3). DC Metro // This part of WV is a bedroom community for DC/Baltimore and most certainly is the most Mid-Atlantic part of WV.
4). Virginia // Obvious connection to VA, not only in scenery but in accent and cultural interests
5). SW VA/KY // The coal fields are the most Appalachian in feeling, with Southern influence
6). Ohio/Midwest // Industry, rail transportation, and cultural ties to Ohio as well as IN and MI.
7). The interior // is simply WV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 AM

28,263 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
This would be expected because, as I said, regions are not "official" designations with hard lines and different governments, as are our states.
Does New England have hard lines?

Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,308,744 times
NY is definitely "the northeast", let's not get it twisted, people.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
NY is definitely "the northeast", let's not get it twisted, people.
How do you prove that though?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you want to be technical about it, it would appear that the two states that are actually midway along the Atlantic seaboard would be VA and NC. In fact, the state line between the two states looks pretty darn close to the midway point. That said, I am perfectly aware that this is not the usual interpretation of what MidAtlantic usually is. ...just sayin'.
Roughly speaking when looking at a map I think you are right. Virginia looks like she is north of the midway point, North Carolina looks south. Of course that is only a rough guess, in reality the coast bends and twists so much so it is hard to be sure.

Looking at a map, North Carolina definitely looks "South Atlantic". Although the Outer Banks with the beach houses and lighthouse has a Mid-Atlantic look to some extent, most of the North Carolina seems to curve inward to match the South Carolina coastline. Also away from the beach front, the North Carolina coast is often sparsely developed - definitely different from large parts of the Mid-Atlantic coast.

This last fact, that much of the North Carolina coastal area is sparsely uninhabited swamps and home to southern species of plants and animals like Red Wolves and even alligators! Somehow it is hard to imagine alligators living in a Mid-Atlantic area like New Jersey or Delaware.

American alligator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This last fact, that much of the North Carolina coastal area is sparsely uninhabited swamps and home to southern species of plants and animals like Red Wolves and even alligators! Somehow it is hard to imagine alligators living in a Mid-Atlantic area like New Jersey or Delaware.

American alligator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EXPERT: Alligators migrating toward Virginia | WVEC.com Norfolk - Hampton Roads

Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So is Virginia not a Southern state then?
All of those high-income counties in Virginia = Washington DC area. Northern Virginia is simply suburbs of Washington DC and has become a dominant part of the economy of the national capital region.

I consider it to be northeastern and mid-Atlantic. Not southern (except that it happens to be located in a state that is southern as a whole).

Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
American alligators are a southern species. Extreme southeastern Virginia has areas like the Great Dismal Swamp that is similar to southern swamps. Its basically an extension to the sparsely populated wild North Carolina coastal areas that I described. But that is only a small portion of southeast Virginia, most of the coastal areas seems more similar to coastal Maryland and Delaware then North Carolina.

Great Dismal Swamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "It is a southern swamp, one of many along the Atlantic Ocean's coast, including the Everglades and Big Cypress Swamp in Florida, the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia, the Congaree and Four Holes swamps of South Carolina, and some of the Carolina bays in the Carolinas and Georgia. Along the eastern edge runs the Dismal Swamp Canal, completed in 1805".

So don't worry, you will not see alligators throughout the Mid-Atlantic.

American alligator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (range)

Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
West Virginia best fits as a Mid-Atlantic state as well, because even though there are some areas that resemble other regions, the location of the state on the East Coast (despite it not touching the ocean) marks it as such. There is no such thing as Mid-Atlantic culture, so that can't be a qualifier.
Thanks. You make a very persuasive argument, though I still am not sold that WV belongs in the same region as its neighbors to the east and north. I have honed in on the above sentences as I do believe there are some commonalities among these neighboring states that WV does not share. For example, WV is often at or near the bottom of states in terms of income, education level and poverty, and religiously, Jews have fairly much eschewed WV. It is the only state that falls completely within the Appalachian region. And . . . for me, it does not share a coast which I find important. The states along the coast were settled first, and share some common colonial history.

I find WV a very beautiful state and think Charleston is a nice little city that people have probably under-estimated. I simply have trouble placing it in the same region as say, Delaware and Maryland. Perhaps I've spent too much time along the Ohio which makes me think it is midwest or my two years in graduate school in southwest Virginia near the border have me thinking WV is southern. Based on the poll so far, it is not one of the states people here commonly associate with the Mid-Atlantic. That said, there are some people who apparently agree with you.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your views.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Does New England have hard lines?
New England is not a government entity with any central administration. But I will contend that New England does reside within "hard lines" for most educated people. I suspect on this site, if you were to open a poll with the query "Which states comprise New England?," you would get upwards of 95% of posters agreeing on the 6 states recognized in pretty much every reference I've ever seen. In fact, New England may be the only region so well defined in American's minds. As we're seeing in this poll, the Mid-Atlantic is certainly a more amorphous region based on the poll results to date. As you've seen in another highly popular thread here on CD, there are many different opinions as to which states comprise the northeast. Similarly, different views exist as to which states comprise the American south, the midwest, southwest, Great Plains, and on and on.

Yes, I would call New England an outlier when it comes to our common view of American regions. In that vein, I do consider it to have "hard lines." If "hard lines" doesn't work for you, however, then I would substitute the word "consensus."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or