U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM

10,431 posts, read 12,436,404 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM

3,754 posts, read 3,860,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I've always viewed NY, NJ, and PA to be just general unadulterated Northeast. Not New England and no heavy/noticeable Southern culture.
Too bad "general unadulterated Northeast" is not a name of a region. Those are quintessential mid-Atlantic states.

Northeast consists of 2 sub-regions - New England and mid-Atlantic. Any Northeastern state that is not in New England would be mid-Atlantic by default.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:56 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,867,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Thanks. You make a very persuasive argument, though I still am not sold that WV belongs in the same region as its neighbors to the east and north. I have honed in on the above sentences as I do believe there are some commonalities among these neighboring states that WV does not share. For example, WV is often at or near the bottom of states in terms of income, education level and poverty, and religiously, Jews have fairly much eschewed WV. It is the only state that falls completely within the Appalachian region. And . . . for me, it does not share a coast which I find important. The states along the coast were settled first, and share some common colonial history.

I find WV a very beautiful state and think Charleston is a nice little city that people have probably under-estimated. I simply have trouble placing it in the same region as say, Delaware and Maryland. Perhaps I've spent too much time along the Ohio which makes me think it is midwest or my two years in graduate school in southwest Virginia near the border have me thinking WV is southern. Based on the poll so far, it is not one of the states people here commonly associate with the Mid-Atlantic. That said, there are some people who apparently agree with you.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your views.
Your welcome.

There is no clear cut regional home for WV, and in all honesty could easily be its own region "Appalachian". I live in upstate NY right now, and notice a lot of similarities here to back home. But on the flip side I wouldn't dare compare New England with WV just because WV resembles a little part of NY. Another example would be I wouldn't compare Illinois to WV just because both border KY. States are large enough to have different vibes in different sections.

IMO WV is a Mid-Atlantic State along with its neighbors to the East and north because of the stronger influence. Coal here has always been shipped East to the Sea and North to the industry. Hardly ever south or West.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Davy-040 - I am looking at you map in Post 81. Other than circling sections of a handful of states along with an equal territory of the continental shelf, do you know what this map is intended to suggest. I have trouble concurring that the Bronx and Chesapeake, VA share a common culture.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM

3,754 posts, read 3,860,979 times
Quote:
Davy-040 - I am looking at you map in Post 81. Other than circling sections of a handful of states along with an equal territory of the continental shelf, do you know what this map is intended to suggest. I have trouble concurring that the Bronx and Chesapeake, VA share a common culture.
Obvoiously New York and Richmond, VA share more in common than North shore vs South shore of Long Island.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
States are large enough to have different vibes in different sections.
This sounds up like a "BINGO!" to me. I think much of this talk of regionalism, especially on CD, is focused on what posters ultimately conclude is the predominant culture of any given state. I appreciate your views on WV.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
The "Mid-Atlantic" is a geographic designation, not a cultural one.

Davy's diagram makes sense to me. First, there's a historical basis for it. Second, the area he outlines has a lot in common in terms of architecture, age and economy (Norfolk was really no different from Alexandria).

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-28-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,921,221 times
Quote:
Thanks. You make a very persuasive argument, though I still am not sold that WV belongs in the same region as its neighbors to the east and north. I have honed in on the above sentences as I do believe there are some commonalities among these neighboring states that WV does not share. For example, WV is often at or near the bottom of states in terms of income, education level and poverty, and religiously, Jews have fairly much eschewed WV. It is the only state that falls completely within the Appalachian region. And . . . for me, it does not share a coast which I find important. The states along the coast were settled first, and share some common colonial history.

I find WV a very beautiful state and think Charleston is a nice little city that people have probably under-estimated. I simply have trouble placing it in the same region as say, Delaware and Maryland. Perhaps I've spent too much time along the Ohio which makes me think it is midwest or my two years in graduate school in southwest Virginia near the border have me thinking WV is southern. Based on the poll so far, it is not one of the states people here commonly associate with the Mid-Atlantic. That said, there are some people who apparently agree with you.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your views.
On the map, West Virginia is definitely one of the more confusing states to place. She seems to be between the different regions rather then actually part of them. Just for example, while much of West Virginia is forest, the eastward panhandle has a lot of farmland (part of the Great Appalachian Valley). This farming area extends into Maryland and Virginia and indeed all the way to Vermont.

Personally I put West Virginia into the Upper South. This connects West Virginia to Virginia and Kentucky. I also put West Virginia into the Mid-Atlantic because of her eastward connections with Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia again. Its not perfect I know, for instance I do not know what to say about the West Virginia and Ohio connection.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 3 days ago)

1,240 posts, read 584,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Too bad "general unadulterated Northeast" is not a name of a region. Those are quintessential mid-Atlantic states.

Northeast consists of 2 sub-regions - New England and mid-Atlantic. Any Northeastern state that is not in New England would be mid-Atlantic by default.
Yes, I am aware of that "general unadulterated Northeast" is not a name of a region. I also know that the census classifies NY, NJ, and PA as Mid-Atlantic but those 3 states really don't "represent" this Mid-Atlantic name like MD, DC, and VA....even part of NC tout that moniker in there businesses. So what am I left to think? NY, NJ, and PA are just simply Northeasterners and to me that's what they identify with that over saying "We're Mid-Atlanticers" or whatever. Meanwhile, from B-More to Richmond to Hampton Roads, I would see and hear Mid-Atlantic being used.

Bajan mentioned that there was the official designation (NY, NJ, & PA) and the informal one (MD, DC, DE, and VA). It does seem that the informal one is more mainstream than the official one. The MASN is just one example.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:46 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,921,221 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Obvoiously New York and Richmond, VA share more in common than North shore vs South shore of Long Island.
Davy-040's map seems to just emphasize the coastal areas of the Mid-Atlantic rather then the states as a whole. Sort of if you regard the Mid-Atlantic to be coastal beach culture rather then by the Mid-Atlantic as a region of states.

Thus under Davy's map, folks in central New Jersey and Maryland could be forgiven for being confused that on one part of the block your in the Mid-Atlantic, and the other your not. I think it is kind of strange to divide the Mid-Atlantic like that.

Regarding Long Island, Davy-040 is right there is a general difference between the North and South Shores but I think its just easier to say all of Long Island is part of the Mid-Atlantic. Its part of New York State which is the oldest and first Middle Colony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or