Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM

386 posts, read 986,061 times

Advertisements

I view the core areas/cities of the mid-atlantic region as being in the DC/MD/VA/DE region. Basically, the regions where stereotypical northeastern culture and southeastern culture tend to overlap. I view DC/Baltimore/Wilmington as the quintessential cities of the region. In addition, I consider the Delmarva area to be mid-atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times
For the Mid-Atlantic I selected VA, MD, and DE. These are states that have a blend of Southern and Northeastern culture. I view them as the transition zones into the Northeast. I would also include DC.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
I worked for a company whose Mid-Atlantic region was Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,558,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I view the core areas/cities of the mid-atlantic region as being in the DC/MD/VA/DE region. Basically, the regions where stereotypical northeastern culture and southeastern culture tend to overlap. I view DC/Baltimore/Wilmington as the quintessential cities of the region. In addition, I consider the Delmarva area to be mid-atlantic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
For the Mid-Atlantic I selected VA, MD, and DE. These are states that have a blend of Southern and Northeastern culture. I view them as the transition zones into the Northeast. I would also include DC.
I agree with this. To me, the Mid-Atlantic is where the Northeast and Southeast just clash and you see the culture blend evenly. I do think that half of Eastern coastal NC is an extension of coastal VA so I would lump them in it (plus they sound like people from Smith Island, MD).

I've always viewed NY, NJ, and PA to be just general unadulterated Northeast. Not New England and no heavy/noticeable Southern culture.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Poor West Virginia. The South doesn't want to claim it. The Midwest doesn't want to claim it. And due to the fact that it is 100% landlocked and never touches a single drop of Atlantic water, it really doesn't make much sense to call it "Mid Atlantic" either.
West Virginia is a state that you can literally split in half between regions. U.S. 60 and south is part of the interior South, and U.S. 50 and north are part of the interior Northeast. (In between is in between.) It also makes more sense to include it with the Mid-Atlantic than the Midwest. The rural Midwest is heavily agrarian, whereas the rural Northeast and Mid-Atlantic are mountainous. Furthermore, it's far enough east to get belted by nor'easters in the winter, and it straddles the Eastern Continental Divide.

Quote:
New York (state) seems a bit awkward in the Mid-Atlantic category as well. The Southern third of the state is definitely part of that region, but far-North and far-Western NY just seem a bit too... far. I guess the same could be said for Western PA, but PA makes more sense than Upstate and Western New York.
Thing is, western New York never struck me as being Midwestern. Great Lakes, yes. Midwest, no. Buffalo and Rochester are basically the intersection of New England and Great Lakes cultures, much like Pittsburgh being the intersection of megalopolitan and Appalachian cultures.

As far as my definition of the Mid-Atlantic, I tend to subdivide it. There's the northern Mid-Atlantic and the southern Mid-Atlantic. The northern Mid-Atlantic is basically anywhere north or east of the Mason-Dixon line that's not part of New England: Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and the northern panhandle of West Virginia. The southern Mid-Atlantic is anywhere south or west of the Mason-Dixon line that's not part of the deep South: District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia minus the northern panhandle. The culture of the northern Mid-Atlantic tends to originate from the New York/Philadelphia blob, and the culture of the southern Mid-Atlantic tends to originate from the Washington DC/Baltimore blob and the "Tidewater" region of Virginia.

By the way, these days I don't have a problem including North Carolina with the southern Mid-Atlantic because I never considered it part of the deep South, and it seems more aligned with Virginia culturally, socioeconomically and politically than it does with South Carolina.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
I've gotten quite a few responses. Thank you. Except for the last couple of posts, most have only offered your views on which states comprise the Mid-Atlantic region. In my OP, I also asked you to share your reasons why you selected the states you did. If it's only geographic location - so be it. If there are common characteristics beyond geography, however, I would be interested in hearing your views on those as well. History? Topography? Climate? Accents? Demographics? Vegetation & agriculture? In other words, what separates the Mid-Atlantic states from those in New England and those further south? Is it only that they are 'in the middle" or is there more?

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
Quote:
Poor West Virginia. The South doesn't want to claim it. The Midwest doesn't want to claim it. And due to the fact that it is 100% landlocked and never touches a single drop of Atlantic water, it really doesn't make much sense to call it "Mid Atlantic" either.
The struggle is real!

I consider it a Mid-Atlantic State. WV doesn't neatly fit into any category, but it fits better with PA, Maryland, and VA.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The Little League World Series Mid-Atlantic division consists of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Washington DC. Virginia and West Virginia are in the Southeast division.

I just thought I'd make things more complicated for city-data's sake.
That's an interesting clue from the past. Another I found recently is the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools which was founded in 1887. Back then it was called the "Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools of the Middle States and Maryland".

Note the way they go out of the way to say "and Maryland". That gives at least two clues. One is that Maryland was not yet considered one of the Middle States, at least by these colleges. Since Maryland was traditionally considered Southern, that is not surprising. But it also tells that Maryland was beginning to associate with Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Delaware in the late 1800s.

About MSA

Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The struggle is real!

I consider it a Mid-Atlantic State. WV doesn't neatly fit into any category, but it fits better with PA, Maryland, and VA.
I think this is because people are beginning to overemphasize the word "Atlantic" in Mid-Atlantic to mean the actual Atlantic coastline. These days people flock to the ocean beaches every summer to hang out and get a tan.

But for hundreds of years the Middle State-Middle Colonies simply meant the states between New England and the South. It was probably only after the country kept growing westward that the word "Atlantic" was tacked on to Middle States, to separate Pennsylvania from say Iowa or Kansas.

So in other words, Mid-Atlantic State does not mean the state has to touch the actual ocean. It simply relates to its position on the map. Just like not all Midwestern states are actual in the West (many are pretty far east actually) and not all of the Pacific Northwest is near the ocean either.

I personally consider West Virginia to be a Mid-Atlantic state, because I consider the Mid-Atlantic to a blend of the Northeast and the Upper South.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The struggle is real!

WV does need to fit somewhere but finding that spot is a challenge. While you see it fitting better with PA, MD and VA, you omitted OH, a state it shares quite a long border with. I'd therefore toss OH into the mix, as well. I've spent my share of time in Parkersburg, and I noted little difference when I crossed the river to places like Marietta. As I see it, WV is an Appalachian state. But WV is the only state I see that fits entirely into Appalachia - a region that extends from New York to Alabama encompassing only parts of those other states. WV kinda stands alone in that position of being fully Appalachian. Given that, we can't take just one state and assign it to its own region . . . can we? WV may be our most hybridized state of all - partly Mid-Atlantic, partly southern, partly midwestern and fully Appalachian. It seems it might make it a culturally interesting state in which to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.