Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states do you believe belong in the Mid-Atlantic region?
New York 75 61.48%
New Jersey 87 71.31%
Pennsylvania 88 72.13%
Delaware 92 75.41%
Maryland 92 75.41%
Virginia 60 49.18%
West Virginia 25 20.49%
North Carolina 15 12.30%
Other (please specify) 4 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania are more Mid-Atlantic.
New York is not more Mid-Atlantic than Maryland, take a breath and just look at the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
As the OP, I haven't commented too much as I didn't want to overly influence the discussion or ignite a tit-for-tat discussion. Nor did I vote, as I wanted to keep see how the poll fell out without my vote. I am going to make an observation at this point and all ask a question. Here is the observation: Based on the voting, it seems the charter members on the Mid-Atlantic states are DE (53 votes), MD (51), PA (44), NJ (40), VA (35), and NY (32). There's the set.

So here is my question: I have lived in DE, MD, VA and PA. Based on my experience, just like the Sesame Street song, one of these things is not like the other. Which one do you think it might be?

Sesame Street - One Of These Things - Letters and numbers - YouTube

Old 09-05-2014, 02:45 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
I came across this when reading an article on the Clipse (from VA Beach).

Quote:
“At one point Virginia was the South, when New York n***as was talking about hustling and that was a trip,” said Pusha, who was influenced by artists like Rakim and Jay-Z. “But now, it’s one of those places, they call Mid-Atlantic."
The Clipse Drop New Mixtape; Headed To Court Day With Jive | AllHipHop.com

Seems pretty clear they identify as "Mid Atlantic" down there.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:59 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I came across this when reading an article on the Clipse (from VA Beach).

The Clipse Drop New Mixtape; Headed To Court Day With Jive | AllHipHop.com

Seems pretty clear they identify as "Mid Atlantic" down there.
"Here comes Timbaland, I'm also from the South
I like them girls with big butts and golds in their mouth
I come from the back road and a dirty house
If you leave the door open, moms'll cuss ya out
I got a big dog in the front yard
Best believe that ***** bite hard
I gotta grand daddy who think he Joe Clark
And that's how we do it round these parts, oh"

http://www.songlyrics.com/cee-lo-tim...around-lyrics/

Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
"Here comes Timbaland, I'm also from the South
I like them girls with big butts and golds in their mouth
I come from the back road and a dirty house
If you leave the door open, moms'll cuss ya out
I got a big dog in the front yard
Best believe that ***** bite hard
I gotta grand daddy who think he Joe Clark
And that's how we do it round these parts, oh"
He just said that because he was on a Cee Lo song. As you said, the South sells.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."

This type of argument is known by several names,[1] including appeal to the masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to democracy, appeal to popularity, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority of the many, and bandwagon fallacy, and in Latin as argumentum ad numerum ("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium ("agreement of the clans"). It is also the basis of a number of social phenomena, including communal reinforcement and the bandwagon effect. The Chinese proverb "three men make a tiger" concerns the same idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,913 times
Virginia has a few southern sounding artist but the majority of them don't cater to a southern sound,Clipse, Pharrell, Missy, and if yall remeber Madd Skillz lol may sound southern to ppl up top but not to ppl in the dirty south, and Wiki defines East Coast Hip Hop from Boston down to Va Beach

Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM

The map below makes a lot of sense to me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cation_map.gif

Pennsylvania has a lot of cultural connections to North Carolina.

Quote:
Because they were migrating from Pennsylvania and because their own word meaning German-"Deutsch"-was not translated very well by English settlers, the newcomers into North Carolina were sometimes termed the "Pennsylvania Dutch."
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cation_map.gif

Virginia is obviously very tied into the Philadelphia area. And the Baltimore dialect, as well as other dialects in Maryland, have Tidewater influences.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He just said that because he was on a Cee Lo song. As you said, the South sells.
Or maybe because he's from the south. As you said, it would be hock riding if he was claiming to be from a region that he isn't apart of . Plus, if Maryland is southern, then a state bordering it to the south must be southern too, right? And they don't have the amount of Irish, and Italians to be considered anything other than southern.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Or maybe because he's from the south. As you said, it would be hock riding if he was claiming to be from a region that he isn't apart of . Plus, if Maryland is southern, then a state bordering it to the south must be southern too, right? And they don't have the amount of Irish, and Italians to be considered anything other than southern.
It used to be southern, but it's effectively been taken over by Yankee transplants. The Mason-Dixon Line is getting pushed down to the VA/NC Border.

A city like Norfolk has more in common with DC or Baltimore than it does with Nashville or Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.