Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most deserving of a major leage sports team?
Las Vegas 18 28.13%
Louisville 11 17.19%
Austin 16 25.00%
Virginia Beach 3 4.69%
Albuquerque 2 3.13%
Birmingham 4 6.25%
Other 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

pa-kewwwww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Birmingham will support a football team. CFL worked, XFL worked, USFL worked, and NFL would certainly work. College football and high school football attendance in state of Alabama second only to Texas.
XFL did not work.

For the second half of Bolts home games, they put all the fans on the camera facing side of the field, the total fans there didn't exceed 9,500.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
XFL did not work.

For the second half of Bolts home games, they put all the fans on the camera facing side of the field, the total fans there didn't exceed 9,500.
Well, that was the entire league, really...

But your point still stands.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
I'm not sure I could recommend the NFL or NBA expand from the standpoint of quality of product.

NFL and NBA in particular are already pretty thin on talent - adding add'l teams to the mix only dilutes leagues that already have some dismal bottom-dwellers. The problems are somewhat similar between the leagues - while ostensibly a team sport, NFL success is heavily dependent on a few positions (particularly QB) where there are only so many 'above replacement' quality players to go around.

The NBA is worse because a handful of stars feature so prominently, and most teams realistically only play 8-9 guys deep. Whatever team LeBron is on is a good bet to make the finals year in and year out. The Spurs are somewhat of an anomaly. Arguably both these leagues should drop a team or two.

NHL maybe. Many teams cycle 4 lines, so there's less reliance on a few star players, and arguably there are some decent backup goaltenders who could step to a top slot. But the places the NHL could readily expand to financially (Hamilton) are the places it really doesn't need to. In U.S. markets, just about anywhere they could go is a financial gamble.

With MLB the issue is arguably mostly pitching. Think how bad the pitching staff is for your favorite team in any given year, and then imagine that one reliever who makes you tear your hair out getting promoted to a starting spot because the league had to dig 20-30 pitchers deeper to fill new rosters.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 8,765 times
Don't much care about the "Big 4", but for my money, Minneapolis needs an MLS team. They have an NASL team that is averaging more attendees this year than the bottom 3 MLS teams.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd S MacGillicutty View Post
Don't much care about the "Big 4", but for my money, Minneapolis needs an MLS team. They have an NASL team that is averaging more attendees this year than the bottom 3 MLS teams.
It'll happen before 2020.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:02 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I'm not sure I could recommend the NFL or NBA expand from the standpoint of quality of product.

NFL and NBA in particular are already pretty thin on talent - adding add'l teams to the mix only dilutes leagues that already have some dismal bottom-dwellers. The problems are somewhat similar between the leagues - while ostensibly a team sport, NFL success is heavily dependent on a few positions (particularly QB) where there are only so many 'above replacement' quality players to go around.

The NBA is worse because a handful of stars feature so prominently, and most teams realistically only play 8-9 guys deep. Whatever team LeBron is on is a good bet to make the finals year in and year out. The Spurs are somewhat of an anomaly. Arguably both these leagues should drop a team or two.

NHL maybe. Many teams cycle 4 lines, so there's less reliance on a few star players, and arguably there are some decent backup goaltenders who could step to a top slot. But the places the NHL could readily expand to financially (Hamilton) are the places it really doesn't need to. In U.S. markets, just about anywhere they could go is a financial gamble.

With MLB the issue is arguably mostly pitching. Think how bad the pitching staff is for your favorite team in any given year, and then imagine that one reliever who makes you tear your hair out getting promoted to a starting spot because the league had to dig 20-30 pitchers deeper to fill new rosters.
The NBA is not thin on talent. Especially with the growth of basketball overseas.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

Of the poll choices I think Norfolk/VA Beach would best support a major league sports team. The surrounding Hampton Roads metro area is at 1.7 million on its own plus a potential range of fans from Richmond and the Delmarva areas. It would probably pull in a good following from the local military bases.
That is the plan. We lost out on the Hornets because of the owner. I don't think we really had a shot at the Expos especially when DC started whining about how they "deserved" MLB. I don't know if that would've worked here or not. 81 games is a lot but there is more disposable income for that demographic around here than people realize. The Kings ?(shrugs) Comcast has worked with city of VA Beach and has found an investor to build an arena near the oceanfront area. Theyre trying to have a monopoly on sports coverage over the "Mid Atlantic" audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Other: Norfolk
Yeah, I just chose the Beach I wasn't gonna get technical...but, youre right I would put the arena/stadium in Norfolk not the Oceanfront like they plan on doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Virginia Beach - Another large population with lots of transience due to the massive military presence and an average salary lower than most major metro areas. Cost of attendance factors would be a big concern.
They had studies on this and it was shown that we could support NFL/NBA/NHL definitely. Something about the median income being different than per capita. Its pretty comparable to other metros. As far as the military some of them are here to stay and wanted HR as their duty station, yet and still at most that's about 100,000 out of 1.7 mill (and counting) not including Richmond or Delmarva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In my opinion cities like Richmond or Raleigh are probably more "deserving" if one is to factor in criteria usually in play for making those decisions...favorable geography, rivalry possibilities, education level of residents, disposable income/average salary of residents and TV revenue deals. Both cities are ideally located in the Mid-Atlantic area of the country with each of those criteria in play. MLB or to a lesser extent the NBA would work well in either in my opinion.
Richmond is in a bad spot. I don't think they'll attract TOO many from northern Virginia. Richmonds metro is smaller and I think people from there would come here before people from here would go there...especially as far as basketball. As far as Raleigh, I think the college basketball atmosphere there kinda kills a hope for the NBA ...not to mention the Hornets.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 08-26-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 PM

305 posts, read 416,501 times
Yeah.. a Texas city really needs a Major sports team the most...

Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 PM
JJG

Well, looks like Vegas will be getting a team after all...

NHL expansion to Las Vegas a 'done deal' per report - SBNation.com

Yahoo Sports: NHL expansion to Vegas in 2017

S.I.: NHL expansion to Las Vegas a 'done deal'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.