U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Baltimore doesn't represent the entire state.
Even still, it was "clearly once southern with all of the pride of the South and all of its prejudices." If Baltimore can become "non-southern," then that means other southern places (i.e., Richmond, Virginia) can also become "non-southern."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
The foolishness of liberals never ceases to amaze me, but generally speaking, I keep that opinion to myself because it sounds so harsh and jarring.

I voted "Virginia," just because it's what I really, really, really want.
Being liberal, conservative, or moderate has nothing to do with anything being discussed here. Why must people always drag their unwanted politics into every discussion? It's like dumping your dirty laundry in the middle of the table during dinner.

Some really dumb things have been said in this thread, and now it has been dumbed down even further by adding your gratuitous political opinions that are completely irrelevant to the topic.

You said that "generally speaking, I keep that opinion to myself", which, going by your other posts that I've read, really isn't true. However, yeah. You really should have done just that.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 08-27-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM

734 posts, read 732,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Oh you are so very kind. Thank you. Mums the word. LMAO.

When the ignorant can't come up with an intelligent answer they either change the subject or end the conservation.
Or they butt in and spew misinformation, such as all rednecks are the same.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,496,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Even still, it was "clearly once southern with all of the pride of the South and all of its prejudices." If Baltimore can become "non-southern," then that means other southern places (i.e., Richmond, Virginia) can also become "non-southern."

I agree Bajan Yankee. I now declare that I secede from the South. Please accept me as the newest Yankee on this thread. I ain't a souferener no mores.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post
Different kind of redneck up in NY. What's your point? Oh, you're trolling.
Gotta love the irony in this.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:30 PM

734 posts, read 732,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Gotta love the irony in this.
Takes one to know one, eh?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM

44,905 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Quote:
Good grief, woman. You're still talking about the present whereas I'm talking about history. Maryland was a member of the SLC and remained so for more than half a century.
Good grief, man. I'm talking about the present? Well, yes, I am - as well as the distant past (slavery era and Civil War), the not so distant past (mid 20th century) as well as the present - AND the future. None of it's disconnected, especially when we're discussing the south and, as you charmingly put it "what will be the next state to secede from the south." If you're so big into history, then quit discrediting the massive role that the Civil War and it's aftermath had in the identity of the region. That influence is still felt today.

Quote:
Not that complex. It was a southern state just like Kentucky. No amount or word-twisting can wipe out history. You're engaging in what's called revisionism.
Say what? Kentucky was another border state, and I've never said otherwise - Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, Missouri, and West Virginia were border states during the Civil War. All four of those border states joined the Union though they were slave holding states, and all four states had both Union and Confederacy supporters and sympathizers as residents - and soldiers. What's revisionist about stating that? For that matter, what's "revisionist" about ANYTHING I've stated?

Quote:
Missouri joined in the mid 90s. Maryland joined in the 40s. Either way, this has nothing to do with how people thought of the state in 1948.
Missouri attended the conferences every year since 1948. My point was that membership or non membership in the conferences doesn't make a state southern or "not southern." That's the implication when people state that MD "seceded from the south" when it dropped it's membership in the conference.

Quote:
You are literally incapable of distinguishing between present-day and historical conceptions of North/South.
No - I disagree with your position. That doesn't mean I'm incapable of distinguishing the difference between present day and historical concepts. What it DOES mean is that I fully understand that we can't separate one from the other when we try to understand the region, and especially the complexities of states that are on the "borders" of regions, where cultural and historical and present day influences come from two distinct regions.

For the life of me I can't understand why YOU seem to be incapable of recognizing that some states are not "either" Southern or "not" Southern. To me, it just seems so OBVIOUS that some states and the people living there have very strong influences from more than one region, and simply can't be categorized neatly into one region or the other, like crayons in a box. Maryland is such a state. So is Texas. So are West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Missouri. For that matter, take New York as an example - is it a mid Atlantic state, or a Northern state? Is it both? Texas - is it southern or southwestern? We could go on all day long and all night long about these issues - and if we look through the threads on this forum, we can see that others before us have done just that!

It's not like it's "illegal" or "wrong" to have differing opinions on this. We're not choosing sides for a Civil War, after all. And no states are going to secede any time soon - from anywhere.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good grief, man. I'm talking about the present? Well, yes, I am - as well as the distant past (slavery era and Civil War), the not so distant past (mid 20th century) as well as the present - AND the future. None of it's disconnected, especially when we're discussing the south and, as you charmingly put it "what will be the next state to secede from the south." If you're so big into history, then quit discrediting the massive role that the Civil War and it's aftermath had in the identity of the region. That influence is still felt today.
What does any of what you wrote have to do with Maryland's regional identity in 1948? That's like me saying that Germany was once under Nazi rule and you saying, "No, Germany is not under Nazi rule and is in fact the most peace-loving country in the world today!" That may or may not be true, but it has nothing to do with what it was in 1940.

Quote:
But the most significant moment, for me, came in an account by Benjamin Cardin of Maryland of the significance of Brown v. Board of Education for his life, growing up as a Jew, in Maryland. Maryland was the South (I once went on a freedom ride to Chestertown, Maryland). Private clubs and perhaps some restaurants had signs: No Negroes or Jews allowed.
Democratic Individuality: Sotomayor, Brown v. Board of Education, the social science of Kenneth and Mamie Clark, and Leo Strauss

Quote:
But there’s a double-edged quality to Hairspray’s integration theme. “How serious is it to come out for integration in ’62? It’s a joke on message movies. That’s what happened, I lived through it—Baltimore was the South, and there was a lot of segregation there. But I’m not coming out as this flaming liberal.”
http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjourn...e51a8eeb41bf29

To say that Maryland wasn't southern is revisonism. If the sources can't prove its former southern identity, then what can? How would you ever prove that a state is southern (or "northeastern," for that matter)? I mean, it's pretty clear the Census, memberships in the SGA and SLC, a history of slavery and Jim Crow, memoirs and historical sources can't establish that.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,684 times
I misread the title and put Texas thinking we were talking about seceding from statehood. I would choose Maryland which is most likely to secede.

Since that's not available... Virginia would be the next one in line.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:48 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,496,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post
Or they butt in and spew misinformation, such as all rednecks are the same.

Oh! Please enlighten me of the differences in rednecks in the regions of this country. Never let it be said that I am unwilling to be educated. I really despise ignorance. Educate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.