U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Reputation: 11136

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Seriously, why hasn't this thread closed yet?
It's like that itch that you know you shouldn't scratch but it just feels too damn good to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
A good example of this is the ongoing debate in the Texas forum about whether or not Texas is a southern state. Many west Texans in particular are aghast at the very idea of it. They can't see ANYTHING that feels southern to them in their environment and they don't relate to what they perceive as a "southern mindset or lifestyle" at all. But many East Texans are adamant that Texas is a southern state. They see southern influence and culture everywhere they look. So which is it? Grits...or hash browns?
Just to note, Kathy (as you and I usually fight on the same side of the creek! LOL) as concerns West Texas (with the notable exception of far West Texas ala' the Trans Pecos region), according to the two most extensive regional-identity study surveys ever done, even a majority of West Texans said they considered themselves to live in the South and thought of themselves as Southerners.

Not nearly to the percentage in the eastern two-thirds of the state, naturally, but still it was considerably higher than identification with any other region. Which really shouldn't be too much of a surprise as the majority of original settlers to that part of the state were overwhelmingly from the southeastern United States and brought their attitudes, politics, speech, church membership (Southern Baptist and Methodists), etc, who were looking to get a new start after the WBTS, to the region. And these factors were passed on to their descendants.

But you are entirely correct that the physical environment is anything but Southern in the classic sense, which naturally affects lifestyles and outlook in its own way. Perhaps the best way to put it is that it is essentially the South moved to a frontier western environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Reputation: 11711
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just to note, Kathy (as you and I usually fight on the same side of the creek! LOL) as concerns West Texas
Or as it concerns East Texas. Not much appreciation of history...

Is East Texas culturally part of the Deep South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,690 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Or as it concerns East Texas. Not much appreciation of history...

Is East Texas culturally part of the Deep South?
Yeah right. I don't care anything about history and I don't source anything either....NOT.

"New South"!!?? Post #87.

By the way, not trying to brag, but that $500 I won from CD (see the little flag by my name?) - I won that for being "Most Informative Poster" on this site.

And TexasReb is a history teacher, by the way.

Facts - such pesky little things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM
 
342 posts, read 394,970 times
Reputation: 503
Why are you mad BajanYankee?

Why don't you just admit that Kathryn destroyed your argument many pages ago and come to face that you in fact do not know everything. That would be the admirable thing to do and better for your health as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"New South"!!?? Post #87.

By the way, not trying to brag, but that $500 I won from CD (see the little flag by my name?) - I won that for being "Most Informative Poster" on this site.

And TexasReb is a history teacher, by the way.

Facts - such pesky little things...
Facts? Don't bring those into the picture!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah right. I don't care anything about history and I don't source anything either....NOT.

"New South"!!?? Post #87.

By the way, not trying to brag, but that $500 I won from CD (see the little flag by my name?) - I won that for being "Most Informative Poster" on this site.

And TexasReb is a history teacher, by the way.

Facts - such pesky little things...





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Reputation: 11711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Why don't you just admit that Kathryn destroyed your argument many pages ago and come to face that you in fact do not know everything. That would be the admirable thing to do and better for your health as well.
Right. She destroyed the fact that Maryland was a southern state with a cite to the Kids' Corner website. FWIW, that source also discusses animals, vocabulary, "bubble fun math," and butterflies. That's very weighty.

Free Online Science Games

And to a cite to Susan D. Apple from Glenwood Middle School (she actually provided this).

Quote:
Author: Susan D. Apple, Glenwood Middle School, Howard County Public School System
Grade Level: Middle
Center for History Education Online Lessons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM
 
1,951 posts, read 1,943,398 times
Reputation: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Right. She destroyed the fact that Maryland was a southern state ...
Maryland was a slave state in the Civil war and was therefore a Southern state. On the other hand, in contrast to the historic situation, because Baltimore is a rust belt city, Maryland seems to belong more to the Northeast than to the South at present day.

I can see why today Maryland does not want to be associated with the South because of all the negativity associated with the South: racism, slavery, rednecks, subpar dental care, trailer parks, etc. On the other hand, the Northeastern rust belt states are associated with urban decay, violent crime, decline of population, unemployment, etc.

So, in this case there is not really a lesser evil to choose from. Maybe Maryland should revision it's history a little such that it would have been neutral in the civil war and therefore does not have to choose between the North or the South in the first place. Just like Switzerland has never really been a part of anything over here in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 02:23 PM
 
29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Maryland was a slave state in the Civil war and was therefore a Southern state. On the other hand, in contrast to the historic situation, because Baltimore is a rust belt city, Maryland seems to belong more to the Northeast than to the South at present day.

I can see why today Maryland does not want to be associated with the South because of all the negativity associated with the South: racism, slavery, rednecks, subpar dental care, trailer parks, etc. On the other hand, the Northeastern rust belt states are associated with urban decay, violent crime, decline of population, unemployment, etc.

So, in this case there is not really a lesser evil to choose from. Maybe Maryland should revision it's history a little such that it would have been neutral in the civil war and therefore does not have to choose between the North or the South in the first place. Just like Switzerland has never really been a part of anything over here in Europe.
MO was also a slave state, but it's Midwestern. And Baltimore is NOT a Rust Belt city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Maryland was a slave state in the Civil war and was therefore a Southern state. On the other hand, in contrast to the historic situation, because Baltimore is a rust belt city, Maryland seems to belong more to the Northeast than to the South at present day.

I can see why today Maryland does not want to be associated with the South because of all the negativity associated with the South: racism, slavery, rednecks, subpar dental care, trailer parks, etc. On the other hand, the Northeastern rust belt states are associated with urban decay, violent crime, decline of population, unemployment, etc.

So, in this case there is not really a lesser evil to choose from. Maybe Maryland should revision it's history a little such that it would have been neutral in the civil war and therefore does not have to choose between the North or the South in the first place. Just like Switzerland has never really been a part of anything over here in Europe.


FYI and a note to the ignorant, the bold type above is not limited to the South. Is it even possible to educate some people on this?? Apparently not on CD. It's like pi$$ing in the wind.

ps, there is just as much negativity of the North as anywhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top