U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'm tempted to start a thread quoting my favorite ignorant comments.
Haha! Great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:42 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Meh, depends on the definition: Rust Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's just as commonly included as it's left off. This is an informal buzz term where there is no absolute definition - but Baltimore qualifies to me personally (why wouldn't it?), and it's more often than not included on Rust Belt city lists. So why sweat it? I live in a city nicer than Baltimore that's also called "rust belt." Both Baltimore and Milwaukee have old-school character and it's meaningless what labels outsiders apply. I'd prefer a "rust belt" city over a transient sprawling southern (or northern) one any day.
As that article notes, the most common definitions do not include MD. Even with some Rust Belt-like qualities, Baltimore is most often regarded as a smaller anchor city within the Bos-Wash corridor. In that sense, it's somewhat like Birmingham or New Orleans: a post-industrial city that has historically largely been exempted from the growth and prosperity experienced by other cities within its geographical region (which would be the Sunbelt for those two Southern cities).

Old 08-30-2014, 02:55 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,943,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
There are PLENTY of trailer parks in the frigid parts of this country, including the northeast that is such horse sh**. Even if there weren't a lot of trailer parks in the northeast, there is a just as high ratio of white trash, living in a resemblent environment. The myth that there is more white trash in south than the north, particularly the north east is one of my favorites. There are certain elements that don't get any classier no matter where they live and it has nothing to do with socio-economic conditions. I feel like the hyperbole on CD has racheted it up a notch this week, it must be a full moon or something. I'm tempted to start a thread quoting my favorite ignorant comments.
I'm sure the North has its share of low income whites living in trailer parks however they are more than compensated for by the enormous amount of low income African Americans over there so the low income whites are less noticeable there. In the South the low income African Americans are more concentrated in places like Atlanta or New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But I doubt that most Marylanders are struggling very much to find good dental care.
Baltimore is a very poor crime ridden city where many people are homeless and operating in survival mode. I doubt dental care is high on their priority list or that they even remotely have access to any. Maryland never should have signed that declaration of independence in the first place. If they still would have been under the Crown of Britain today these people would have been much better off with social welfare: living in an apartment instead of in the woods and having access to general health care through the NHS.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Or as it concerns East Texas. Not much appreciation of history...

Is East Texas culturally part of the Deep South?
Uhhhh, I think it is self-apparent that Kathy knows her stuff and can easily hold her own and then some. I can't rep her again for her posts, so I am doing it here right now! Rep plus, Kathy!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:05 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Because there is no NONE OF THE ABOVE option, this poll is giving a false impression. I know I am not the only who thinks that none of these states are "leaving the South".

Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Baltimore is a very poor crime ridden city where many people are homeless and operating in survival mode. I doubt dental care is high on their priority list or that they even remotely have access to any. Maryland never should have signed that declaration of independence in the first place. If they still would have been under the Crown of Britain today these people would have been much better off with social welfare: living in an apartment instead of in the woods and having access to general health care through the NHS.
The city of Baltimore has a lot of poverty because it has a large percentage of people with low educational levels and therefore low incomes. It is a common feature of American metro areas that the inner city is poor but it is surrounded by wealthier suburbs, and so it is with Baltimore. You need to understand the history of how this happened.

Maryland is actually one of the wealthiest states in the U.S., much richer than the U.K. on a per capita basis. (On a side note, I like the culture of the U.K. and enjoyed the times I've stayed in London. I could see myself living in that area of England for part of my life if the opportunity comes up.)

Old 09-01-2014, 11:56 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,831,308 times
My pick would be NC. When I think NC, I don't really think Southern. I'm sure the backwoods are much more Southern in feel, but the metro areas are much more mid-Atlantic.

Also Texas. Texas is Texas. It was its own country and still has a more unique identity than most states.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,316 times
I don't think any state will secede from the South. I do think that the Southern identity is changing. It's no longer seen as a solely agricultural region; you now have tourism in Florida, energy in Houston, finance/telecoms in Dallas, Atlanta with its several industries, the Triad with research...it's just not the same as it was in the 1960s. I think the issue here is that "Southern" is sometimes associated with "less educated", and so any state that seems to move toward being "more" educated is seen as Northeastern. Virginia will always be Southern, but won't always be the same stagnant definition of Southern that we've seen throughout history. Southern cities can have skyscrapers, top-notch research universities, public transit systems, high density/walkability...they can have all the things that make people love Northeastern cities and still be Southern. The Northeastern cities still won't have that Southern charm that the Southern cities have.

Think about it this way: if every state (including Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama) seceded from the South, would they all be Northeastern? No, it wouldn't make sense.

Also, Miami is not the North. Orlando is not the North. Tampa is not the North. They are not as Southern as the rest of Florida, but I would not describe them as Northern either. If anything, they are just Floridian.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:04 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
Couldn't you just pretend the title meant something along the lines of 'which Southern state is most likely to become significantly different from the remainder?'

Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
My pick would be NC. When I think NC, I don't really think Southern. I'm sure the backwoods are much more Southern in feel, but the metro areas are much more mid-Atlantic.
How so? When I think of mid-Atlantic cities like Baltimore and Philly, I think of post-industrial cities with dense, historic cores, urban ethnic enclaves, and lots of rowhomes. None of NC's major metros have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.